This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Draco_Wolfgand
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

What civilization would you suggest for my plaiyng style?

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:47 am

Hello everyone? Just got started into this mod, and... Well, because of the AoE 3 home city systen( Which I hate ), I decided I should decide on a civilization to focus on, for at least the first few months. But I cant quite decide on which. So I decided I would ask all of you for help! But first, a few tid bits of information about my general plaiyng style:

-On the original game, my favourite civilization was the Indians. Mostly for the elephants.

-I have a certain preferrence for "Quality over quantity" where my units are concerned. In particular, I have a thing for units that are relatively slow, costly, but also incredibly bulky. ... Probably why I used to like the Indians so much?

-When possible, I prefer defensive strategies, but I reckognize they are not always pratical to use, especially on a game such as AoE 3, which rewards so strongly early agression and rapid expansion. So, while I like to have the option to stall to the late game, I would prefer a civilization whose early game is still good enough to at least shrug off early rushes without many losses.

-Although, thematically, I dont have a problem with meele infantry units( Like the Halberdier ), frankly, I found myself almost never using then. I just find it they have a bad habit of diyng before they get to do anything usefull, and Musketeers, or their counterparts, tend to be usually better. However, I reckognize the power of the Doppelsoldner and Samurai as specialized, powerfull ani-heavy cavalry units. They are circunstancial, but still, they are amongst the few units that can send Cuirassiers running.

-Above all, I like civilizations with odd plaiyng styles, that make one have to "think outside the box". In fact, that is the whole reason I chose to install this mod :p

Jutlander
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Polish

Re: What civilization would you suggest for my plaiyng style?

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:38 pm

Okay, I think that for now you're gonna enjoy both the Habsburgs and the Mexicans. I'll explain why:
- Habsburgs: They have bulky units, quite expensive but durable and, while not primarily defensive, their age up system allows them to go for a 100% defensive build. They have some melee units, yes, but also have a great roster of ranged units and their age-up system, where you pick a princess to marry, allows you to shape your civilization via borrowing bonuses from other civilizations, which many consider unique, although not quite ''odd''.
- Mexicans: They are super defensive, yes, while also having the Insurgente, which is an incredibly durable ranged unit. Their bonuses are not out of this world but are also quite unique. They have almost no melee units.

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:52 pm

Jutlander's civs are the best and safest options for you.
- Habsburgs come close to what you want. Unlike Jutlander said, I believe they will be odd enough for your taste. They have lots of options.
- Mexico is very defensive, and very enjoyable. I don't consider them really odd.
- Bulgaria is a very out of the box civ, and ranged. It also favors quality. However, using them very defensively is not the way to play them. Another nice thing is that only a few cards are mandatory to play them. Post a thread for help if you're interested, I will certainly answer you there. The villagers are melee though, but ideally you will never have to use them.
- Australia is currently atrociously UP early, but if you get through the early stages (prepare for some epic defences?), they get access to very strong units. But they are probably not odd enough.

From the way you worded your post, it seems you plan to level up homecities yourself. You don't have to do that, if you want, you can download all the homecities from the site http://aoe3wol.com/files/Homecities.rar .
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

Draco_Wolfgand
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:37 pm

... I did NOT knew I could just download the home cities! But thank you! One of the main things I hated about the original game is how the home city systen kind of forced you to play the same civilization for a long, long time, until it was actually at a level where you could play competitively :p.

I think I may give Habsburgs a try. Though knowing me I will definitively want to fool around with each of the civilizations :p. They do kind of smell of "Jack of all Trades"( At least, reading their description ). Also, I dont know how similar the Doppelsoldners of this game are to the ones of the original game, but the Doppelsoldner is a unit that, despite being meele, I kind of respected. Kinda. Let me explain:

My opinion about Doppelsoldners( And Samurai ) is that they were good for one thing and one thing only: Stopping heavy cavalry charges. However, at this one specific role, they were utterly exceptional. Lancers, Cuirassiers, Mahouts... You could throw any meele cavalry at then and they would kill it. Their only problem is that a single Falconet shot is usually enough to tear a hole on their ranks. Also, they melt to Skirmishers. And can be kited by most ranged cavalry units. ... And in fact, arent even particularly good against ranged heavy infantry units either...

Overral, they are a specialized unit, but not, strictly speaking, a bad one :p.

DavidIbragimov
Gaucho
Gaucho
Favorite Civilization: Dutch

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:19 pm

Ok, with the Japanese, if you survive late game, you can use specific cards and export ally (Americans) to generate a hecka ton of Export. After you have like 25k export, spend on the secret police and the Hatamoto Samurai. They are literally the definition of Immortal. Very aggresive siege, Almost insta-kill damage, and so much life it isn't even funny. No matter who you are fighting, as long as you don't run out of export, you will surely be victorious. These two units are probably top 10 most Quality in the whole game, followed by the Hapsburgs, American Cavalry Corps, and the Bulgarian military.
Bank Boom Baby!

Draco_Wolfgand
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Yeah, Cavalry Corps really is awesome. The only problem is, I kind of feel bad for using it because, well, that implies on not plaiyng the Thirteenth Ammendment :p.

DavidIbragimov
Gaucho
Gaucho

Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Between Buffalo riders and Cavalry Corps, Cavalry Corps. (Sorry Lincoln)

Its honestly your choice, but I enjoy the Confederate Units more in general. But for Example, the 13th Amendment, gives a big boost to your economy. So its really your decision. Either Better Military or Better Economy.

Also, confederates are really comfortable to play with early ages.
Bank Boom Baby!

Draco_Wolfgand
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:34 pm

On the interest of fairness, by the time you get to the fifth age, as the Americans, you will have so many technologies going on your favor that literally-Any-Unit you will train will be just better then whatever counterpart of it your opponent may have :p Cavalry Corps is particularly ridiculous, though. It is so bulky it brings elephants to shame. You can shoot a cannon at this thing and it wont bulge ( Literally. Like, it can easily take several direct shots from a Great Bombard or a Sevastopool and still be standing. I get it that heavy cavalry is suppose to counter artillery on this ame, but come on, where did the Confederates even get their horses? On Krypton? )

As for the Buffalo Soldier: What I like about this unit is that its enormous attack( Bringing a War Wagon to shame ) and its multiplier against artillery units make it one of the only light cavalry units that can actually effectivelly counter artillery units the way they are suppose to. Suck on that, Yabusame! THIS, is how it is done! In all seriousness, though, comparing it to the Cavalry Corps on a bubble, it would be hard for me to decide which one is objectively "better", but I will say this: Cavalry Corps makes a madly overpowered combo with Sharpshooters. Similar to the Cuirassier/Skirmisher combo of the French on the original game: In fact, perhaps even better, because the Cavalry Corps colossal hitpoints let it survive very well even against its so-called "Counters", letting Sharpshooters do their job undisturbed.

DavidIbragimov
Gaucho
Gaucho

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 pm

For me, It's usually confederates because of their comfy combos. After aging up to age 2, the get the Gold fever card, which transforms all my eco. units to miners. While I make only slaves for a little while, I send them on wood and food, and after a few minutes it stables out again. Now that I have like 14 miners, gold will not be a difficulty, and I can freely focus on food and wood. This allows me to focus on the soldiers without worrying too much about my eco. Late game, Either the confederates and Union both bring unique skills. The 13th Amendment, turns all your slaves into pilgrims and gives them bonus 20% gathering, and if you create maximum amount of slaves and pilgrims, you can have up to 120 pilgrims. 

Idk, for the units, the Confederates win. The only good options for me are the marines and the Buffalo riders, but the mounted rifles, nurses, and gatling guns? It just isn't serious compared to it's political opponent's units, of which every one has a direct role, and they are good at it.
Bank Boom Baby!

Draco_Wolfgand
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Yeah, there is really zero contest between Texas Rangers and Mounted Rifles. I also greatly prefer Zouave to Marines. Marine are a interesting concept, but on their weird status as a "anti-ship infantry", they are almost always only usefull defensivelly( Based on my experience )

Sometimes, though, a Union politician will give a technology that is so usefull that it makes worth picking then anyway. For a few example:

-The 13th ammendment is perhaps the best economical technology one could ask for, regardless of whether you did or did not trained any slaves. Though on this case, as the Buffalo Soldier is actually good, you could argue it doesnt count as "Picking it only for the tech :p"

-In a peculiar bit of irony, Colt Revolver does a excellent job out of supporting Sharpshooters :p. And, in all seriousness, since that almost all American infantry units are ranged, it is just a great tech all around.

-If you already intend to stall out the game for a very long while, Red Cross is amazing. The Americans already have one of the widest arsenal of techs in the game, giving then a ridiculously overpowered late game: Getting access to the Hospital techs is the cherry in the cake :p.