This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

ImperialPhalanx
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Maltese
ESO: ImperialPhalanx
Steam: Phalanx

KoSJ Changes?

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:09 pm

I'm curious, will the KoSJ be receiving any major changes when the European rework comes? Or will they be staying mostly the same? Cuz I have a few things:

First thing is really nitpicky, but the flag is technically incorrect. While yea, the Order flag in the original campaign was blue, that was only done because the player 1 colour was blue, and they didn't want to confuse the player. The Flag should technically be red and white.

Secondly, while the roster is fun and unique, playing off the fact that they are knights, its technically unrealistic, because while they were behind the ball technologically, and still would use archaic units (pikes, swords, stuff like that) they would be more modernized than this mod would suggest. A basic Order Musketeer I think would go a long way to help them, possibly have them replace either the crossbow or the longbow. I'd also replace the Cranquier with a Carabiner type unit. But that's just me.

In terms of the metagame, the KoSJ are so heavily focused on defending, that they are kinda trash at anything imo.  You can definitely try to outlast your opponent, but their archaic and defensive nature makes them total bait for artillery, and they are easily outmatched anywhere on the map that is not within their own walls.

But maybe I'm just bad and playing them wrong :)

Banyana
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Swiss
ESO: Maxy147
Steam: Evil Morty

Re: KoSJ Changes?

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:40 pm

But maybe I'm just bad and playing them wrong Image
You are right with that. Malta is the most hated Civ in the whole mod. They are super strong and can rush realy good. The only thing they are lacking is the siege dmg of infantry units ( age 2 / age 3 )
Smile like a Banyana... Image

ImperialPhalanx
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Maltese
ESO: ImperialPhalanx
Steam: Phalanx

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:00 pm

Okay then! :) :) :) I'll easily concede that I've been doing it wrong! :) :)

But my historical comments still stand. :P

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:59 pm

Yes, that's deliverate, we just threw all the outdated units here. Removing that would leave with a civ that has nothing going for it.

SeriousBocchi
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:04 pm

Good. It should stay that way. You can even add in more techs that improves bows and hand attacks. Hopefully that would be part of the rework you have been hyping up.

Stealth
Bacamartier
Bacamartier
Favorite Civilization: Italians
ESO: RickRuler
Steam: Davinci

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 am

Malta wasn't an independent nation during the WOL timeline.  As fun as they are to play, they are more suited for AOE2
I am too old for games like this but too young to resist playing them

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans
ESO: UnStopStreletsy
Steam: UnstoppableStreletsy

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 am

Malta is obviously a aoe2 representation in wol like some civs have reps of Aom features. Only thing I suggest possibly is to give malta a blacksmith like building and possibly adding even more aoe2 unit roles/ uu's. The blacksmith would work like aoe2 would. Ranged attack boosts that increase archer range and damage, range unit armor, then seperate melee attack and armor upgrades for infantry and cavalry like in aoe2. Siege that could possibly appear could be a scorpion equivalent like the aspide and flaming arrow or a onager like catapult that has a large splash effect yet damaging allied units. Isn't needed, but would be a bigger aoe2 sticking point for the civ. Even less likely but still interesting would be to have unique units in the fort that reflect those of aoe2 such as a teutonic knight, a throwing axeman, or pavise crossbowman. 

Btw, I seriously don't get why anyone who has played and enjoyed aoe2 would view malta in a negative way. They are a perfectly functional civ that is very fun to use. When in doubt, think about aoe2 strategies to emulate those in this mod. If you think of aoe2 concepts like archer rushes, knight rushes, or using skirms(arbalests) and pikemen(ransuers) defensively against the respective counter, you will find malta to have one of the most capable armies in the mod.

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:59 am

UnstoppableStreletsy wrote: Even less likely but still interesting would be to have unique units in the fort that reflect those of aoe2 such as a teutonic knight, a throwing axeman, or pavise crossbowman. 
They have the longswordsman UU at the fort. Unfortunately, it shares its name with the swordsman-unit line at the barracks in aoe2. But if you think away the naming, then it's very clear.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans
ESO: UnStopStreletsy
Steam: UnstoppableStreletsy

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:46 pm

I find it a little corny that you have the longswordsman as a slavic champion style unit and the footman as the actual longswordsman. I can't think of any existing aoe2 uu's that line up with the longswordsman of the maltese. The closest thing that exists statswise is a slav halberdier with druzhinia researched with the aesthetics of the champion. Something more iconic like the teutonic knight or throwing axeman would have been interesting.

Stealth
Bacamartier
Bacamartier
Favorite Civilization: Italians
ESO: RickRuler
Steam: Davinci

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Having a AOE2 representative with a nation that didn't exist during the WOL timeline is one thing, but making them so op troop and building wise is another. They could be nerfed a bit  
I am too old for games like this but too young to resist playing them