This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Fountain! This forum is for suggestions about WoL.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

themajesticcreator
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Switch between

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:50 pm

Hai,

firstly if my question has already been answered before sorry for the waste of time.
i love the mod, but i also like to play the original sometimes, is it possible to switch? 
I know it can be done in another mod (edain). if it is not a lot of work (I am not a programmer but a fan of the game) it would be great.
especially since I thought the campaign was great. but I also look forward to yours when it comes out.
if you think about doing it, you can do it via a start/optionsscreen, just a thought
it also feels like if it is possible to have 2 games instead of 1

Fenriz
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Uzbeks
Steam: fenrizsomethinggame

Re: Switch between

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Just install WoL in a copy of original game to keep both versions.
"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement." Image

themajesticcreator
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:15 pm

thanks!!!! did not know that was possible.

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:00 pm

For those searching for a similar issue, I will rephrase (steam version, and the way I do it):
- Copy your bin folder inside the age of empires 3 folder in your steamgames. Name that folder something like binUnmodded/binTAD/binVanilla/... It contains the original game.
- Make sure that before you install wol, that you have launched the Asian Dynasties at least once.
- You switch between the two by renaming the folders. The folder named "bin" will always be the one your playing on. If you want to play Vanilla, just rename the folder with wol to binWOL or so, and name your binVanilla back to bin.
- This works for other mods too (I have a binKR, a binWOL, a binVanilla and a binStruggle for example).
- In case you've already installed wol and thus no longer have a copy with the original version, then you will have to redownload the original game. 1) Name your bin to binWOL 2) Check now the integrity of your files. Steam will see there is an issue with your installation (since the bin folder with the whole game is missing!), and will reinstall your game. 3) Now you have a bin folder with the original game.
- What about my singleplayer saves/home cities? Well, most mods now create their own folders to save those, so you won't have overlap between them.
- And ESO homecities? That's a problem. I highly recommend getting a homecity at a high level (like with the XPMOD, if you can get a partner with the mod too), and keep that Homecity; it grants you the ability to make other high level HC. ESO has a limited amount of homecites they can save for you (ranges from 10 to 25 I think). So it's quite dangerous to make 10 HC with Struggle of Indonesia, and then switch back to wol. If you want to create a HC for each civ, then you're out of luck, you won't get anywhere close to that. And you won't be able to delete these HC from wol, most of them will be hidden. You will also experience the so called ghost cards when you use a HC on multiple mods. I highly suggest to just keep a strong HC, and create/delete other HC as you please.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612