This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Fountain! This forum is for suggestions about WoL.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Re: Anti comes back from his long work on islands and starts to offer ideas and suggestions anew. Because I can.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Personnaly, I wouldn't just do ordinary techs. What about a mix of temporary effects, ordinary techs and unlocked abilities?
For example: Drunk rampaging people: When you research that tech, all units of X turn a unit with the same looks, but higher ATT and is unselectable and would wander around when no enemies are nearby (so a tech like strelets -> musk; there is an spc unit (I think a plains chief) that is unselectable; most animals and treasure guardiens wander around).
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

Antigonius
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Paraguayans

Re: Anti comes back from his long work on islands and starts to offer ideas and suggestions anew. Because I can.

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Hm...I mean, the idea is actually decent, but the problem is - can it be implemented in the game?
For example - the initial idea for "Deck full of cards" gimmick is that not only most Home City cards would be level locked and require many unlocks to be used, but also at least 50% of them would be locked, should the player choose one of them. The biggest example of this is the Societies on the religious part. Ideally, the player can only choose one society of those all in one game - the rest would be locked and can't be used.

But this is only my wishful thinking, because I don't know two things: is this possible in the game? Can the mod creators/hired coders implement it? If the answer to at least one of these is "No", than what's the point of me describing impossible things? This design document (and DD's in general) is created to serve one purpose - to make the coders life easier. To write everything that he needs to do as accurately as possible, so that the programmer won't struggle with it themselves.

This is also the reason why I ask the creators to review it and give me not only the "it's cool/it's breadfruit" opinion, but also - "is this possible to do in the game". If they say yes - I'll go more bolder on the cards gimmick and possibly the Invisible weapons. Until then - it's best to play it safe.

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer

Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:29 pm

can it be implemented in the game?
Well, infinite techs exist, and what I described for unit can be possible as I mentioned. Actually, I had tried to mod vanilla, and I managed to make a half finished Black's Mercenaries and a three-quarters finished Circle of Ossus; I have an idea of what is "easely" codeable (but I lack time. Maybe in July and August, I could try to remake them for WOL). I also doubt you can lock cards ingame. I don't know if you can set HCtechs to unobtainable, never tried. Also note that my ESO home cities are locked to a level of 131, so I can have max 131 unlockable cards; this civ will require many already unlocked cards.
Certain abilities are unlocked by tech: the sharpshooter attack of an explorer as most common example. The wol team knows a lot more about this than I.
Something that maybe also could fit this civ: you pay for a tech (infinite tech), that changes unit X to Y. When Y dies, 2 units Z spawn. (not 2 times X, else exploits could be used).
Maybe you should make a list with interesting ideas for the invisible weapons? People will tell you what is possible and what not.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:34 pm

What I mean is that the idea isn't actually decent.

You're trying to use balance issues as a gameplay feature. Nobody will be attracted by a civilization whose uniqueness is that "it's balanced". Deliverately making the units weaker through upgrades is both confusing and, well, bad gameplaywise. If you want weaker units you just balance them individually that way, nobody will want to play a civilization that simply can't be used at imperial age. Even with our rushing civs they still have some option in imperial age.

Also, no, you can't set cards to unobtainable, cards work in really different ways than regular technologies because they are handled in a different file. You cannot give them prerequisites either.

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer

Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 pm

You are right. Does this sound better?:
+ Invisible weapons: mix of techs, infinite techs and unlockable abilities.
+ Choosing the same faction again grants the previous tech for free (if you haven't researched it yet). Choosing the opposing faction grants it's bonus x1.5 (or so). If I chosed the navites previously, and than chooses the Americans, than I won't get crates of 600 wood, but 900 instead.
+ Trading posts and natives regain quickly HP. Native HC shipments also grant rubber trees. Idea comes from "diverse tribes of native Liberians" (says the document) and the UB. Personnaly I would change the UB to something you build, it spawns ca. 4 rubber trees, and when the rubbertree is completely gathered, it becomes a tree that you can chop for wood.

Weaknesses
- All shared units (militia etc) are slightly weaker (like -10%). This creates a need for the invisible weapons
- No factory. I don't know if factories are appropriate? Also creates more need to use invisible weapons.
- (Due to the many techs, this civ will probably require more wood)

I feel this civ is more like a balanced playstyle, and it won't be as powerfull as others in the Imperial Age if not in the hands of more talented players.
Planting rubber trees will provide some quicker gold than using plantations midgame, meaning you have a good gold income for attacking. It can be used as woodsource, but you will have to gather all the coin first.

This civ will clearly only be interesting if the invisible weapons are interesting. Anti should try to come up with some ideas, but others can help too.

Antigonius
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Paraguayans

Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Circle of Ossus wrote: You are right. Does this sound better?:
+ Invisible weapons: mix of techs, infinite techs and unlockable abilities.
+ Choosing the same faction again grants the previous tech for free (if you haven't researched it yet). Choosing the opposing faction grants it's bonus x1.5 (or so). If I chosed the navites previously, and than chooses the Americans, than I won't get crates of 600 wood, but 900 instead.
+ Trading posts and natives regain quickly HP. Native HC shipments also grant rubber trees. Idea comes from "diverse tribes of native Liberians" (says the document) and the UB. Personnaly I would change the UB to something you build, it spawns ca. 4 rubber trees, and when the rubbertree is completely gathered, it becomes a tree that you can chop for wood.

Weaknesses
- All shared units (militia etc) are slightly weaker (like -10%). This creates a need for the invisible weapons
- No factory. I don't know if factories are appropriate? Also creates more need to use invisible weapons.
- (Due to the many techs, this civ will probably require more wood)

I feel this civ is more like a balanced playstyle, and it won't be as powerfull as others in the Imperial Age if not in the hands of more talented players.
Planting rubber trees will provide some quicker gold than using plantations midgame, meaning you have a good gold income for attacking. It can be used as woodsource, but you will have to gather all the coin first.

This civ will clearly only be interesting if the invisible weapons are interesting. Anti should try to come up with some ideas, but others can help too.
Sorry for just running off for two years - work and all that, was too busy to post at all. 
Those are indeed nice ideas, though not sure if people are still interested in Liberia at this point. 

In anyone cares, I can send that I currently have and what people helped with.