This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Fountain! This forum is for suggestions about WoL.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Danish

Re: Russian units

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:52 am

It sounds too similar to French Cuirassiers. Why give them a similar but slightly weaker unique unit of another European civ? It's hardly unique then.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Besides, the Russian heavy cavalry unit is the Cossack, so why remove the only unit you actually like?

Sadovsky
Topic Author
Roto
Roto

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Oh, may be all i suggested is a bad idea. I was talking about third cavalry unit.
Most nations have two cavalry units - one hand cavalry (hussars, cossacks, uhlans etc.), and one ranged cavalry (dragoons, ruyters, wagons, etc). But some have got third cavalry unit, which is more powerful, more expensive and availible in age3, e.g. french have cuirassiers, spanish have lancers, british have recieved those scottish cavalry in WOL (forgot their name), russians have oprichniks (ohrana in WOL).

I just suggested to make russian units more historically accurate, cause they are just renamed strelets and oprichniks. Yes, i know, WOL is about more modern period, but strelets and oprichniks were more historical, cause they really existed. I just suggest to make russian units more authentic. If WOL involes XVIII century, why not make unique unit of that period? As I said before, at that time Russian Empire had got tough cavalry units, similar to cuirassiers.

Or, if they wouldn't be "unique" enough, I have idea to make cuirassiers shared units (cause several countries used cuirassiers), and make royal guard upgrade for russian cuirassiers. But probably it should un-balance the gameplay, i just mentioned it.

All i want to say, "Pekhota" and "Okhrana" are just russian words, meaning "Infantry" and "Security" and it's not good idea to name units like that. I suggest to make a unique unit, according to history.

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Danish

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:20 pm

Those other nations you mentioned have a third cavarly unit only because they are cavalry-focused. In the mod Russia is not really a cavalry-focused civilization, and it doesn't need to be because we already have those other ones.

I agree with you on Pekhota and Ryadavoy. But Okhrana, as I said, does refer to something in specific:

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9E%D1 ... 0%B8%D0%B5

Охрана was just a nickname, used in Russian as well as English, and it works better as a unit name because it's a lot more concise than "Отделение по Охранению Общественной Безопасности и Порядка"
Sadovsky wrote: If WOL involes XVIII century, why not make unique unit of that period?

But it doesn't.

ShakkaShuu
Villero
Villero

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:55 am

Like septafolia said, its really hard to find some unique name to russian army.(mostly they used some foreign words).
And honestly i prefer ryadovoy and strelets then something like fusilier.

Antigonius
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Paraguayans

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:58 am

Septafolia wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okhrana

Also the Pekhota is referring to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Infantry_(Russia),

but no one on the team knows Russian when that was decided so they didn't realize what "Morskaya Pekhota" literally means.

If you have a suggestion for a replacement, please give it, but we're not going to name half a dozen different units "Don Cossacks" and "Kuban Cossacks" and "Cossack This" and "Cossack That."
You can call Naval Infantry "Morpekx". That's an abbreviation, but it look more unique. 

The same about other unit names you want to propose - use the strengths of slavic languages, instead of "Preobrazhensky fusilier" call them "Preobrazhenec"

Jutlander
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Polish

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:58 pm

We are not making new units. If you have unique, relevant to the timeline and new names for the Ryadavoy, the Pekhota and the Okhrana, please tell us so, otherwise, this isn't really useful for anyone.

Antigonius
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Paraguayans

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:39 pm

I wasn't meaning "new units", sorry.
Ryadavoy - Pekhotinets

Pekhota - Morpekh or Morskoj Soldat

That's their pre-soviet name anyway 
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Морские_солдаты

Okhrana - good enough as it is. If you want it so look like actual Russian: Okhrannik

Sadovsky
Topic Author
Roto
Roto

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Antigonius wrote:
Septafolia wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okhrana

Also the Pekhota is referring to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Infantry_(Russia),

but no one on the team knows Russian when that was decided so they didn't realize what "Morskaya Pekhota" literally means.

If you have a suggestion for a replacement, please give it, but we're not going to name half a dozen different units "Don Cossacks" and "Kuban Cossacks" and "Cossack This" and "Cossack That."
You can call Naval Infantry "Morpekx". That's an abbreviation, but it look more unique. 

The same about other unit names you want to propose - use the strengths of slavic languages, instead of "Preobrazhensky fusilier" call them "Preobrazhenec"
Yeah, "Morpekh" is a good idea, i think. This word sounds good, and it will be historicaly accurate, because Russia really used marines (morpekhs). And it's not stupid, because in russian everybody calls marines "morskaya pekhota"; it's more logical, than ryadovoy (private). Okay, if there are privates, there must be sargeants and oficcers to, eh? Morpekh is a good suggestion. What do you think?

Sadovsky
Topic Author
Roto
Roto

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:00 pm

In XIX century they looked like this:

http://adjudant.ru/table/images/Zaretsk ... big/09.jpg

And after guard improvement they should look more "modern", like in the beginning of XX century.

And about morpekh unit itself. I suggest to make it a stronger version of ryadovoy (former strelet). Why stronger? I have noticed one thing:
Strelet cost 60 resources summarily. Skirmisher cost 115 resources summarily, almost like 2 strelets. 2 strelets are stronger than 1 skirmisher, but! But 2 strelets take 2 pop counts, while skirmisher take 1. So russians become very limited in population. You spen a lot of population for a weak and cheap units, that doesn't worth that. I suggest to strengthen that unit and make it more expensive. For example, make it cost 60 food, 40 wood and make it stronger proportionally. So, we got a russian rifleman, that is a little bit weaker, than skirmisher, but:
1) He is availible from age 2
2) Have a stronger melee attack (because morpekh's rifle is equipped with bayonet)

Russia is considered as infantry-oriented civ, so I think it will be logical.