This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

PepePeyote
Master Engineer
Master Engineer

Re: Online Multiplayer Game Crashing

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:33 pm

This mod has gotten incredibly unstable on ESO to the point where people are uninstalling it lol. For 3 days straight, all of my games were crashed by an OOS regardless of units, civilizations and maps played. None of my matches were actually finished.

The last match I could successfully finish was when I played on Siberia against a Youtuber 4v4 and even then it was buggy as hell. Ever since that day all of my games have resulted in OSS.

Like many people have pointed out, this is regardless of any civ you use. I used to think certain civs caused OOS due to triggers/abilities but now I can confirm it happens to everyone and everywhere. Doesn't matter if you're playing original civs on og maps.

The thing I've noticed tho, is that most crashed tend to occur in the middle of a medium-big fight. But that is not always the case, sometimes I've experienced OOS just barely 3 mins into the game.

The only thing I can recommend is to play on GameRanger; OOS still occurs but it's far less likely. Even the devs themselves have no idea as to why their mod is so unstable on ESO, so don't expect a fix anytime soon.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:37 pm

...you're the only "people" who has pointed it out.

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: French

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:44 am

OOS is most of the time caused by the presence of AI players. It's also occurring with certain game configurations (I recall African civs tend to cause more OOS). Ragequit before the end of a battle/match also causes OOS (that's what regular players are saying). OOS rarely has other causes. Keep an eye out for those reasons, but tell us if you find other potential causes.

Also, there's some annoying sh*t I wanna clear up before I leave...

Pepe, your bullsh*t makes me think you're just here to talk sh*t about the mod without really experiencing that much cr*p. Regular players agree that most of the time, OOS is either due to ragequit or due to the presence of computer players. Just hundreds of proof that you're wrong: people over the mod's Discord server frequently play and they rarely get OOS, in which case they immediately report it. If they really get so much OOS "to the point that they uninstall the mod", it makes me wonder why did the mod's statistics go from the "hundreds of match infos collectable by hands" to "thousands of match infos which collection requires scripts" (you can find the discussion in the mod's Discord).

Seriously dude, you having problems with the mod doesn't mean the others have the same problems as yours. If you want to help, then help. If you hate those things that much, just uninstall the fr*ck*ng mod, let the rest of players enjoy our hard work and let the dev do their job — finding the definitive solution would help not only the mod, but also the rest of the modding community.
Mis band dondrna b at fa so gaga oe ts maay angle lery

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:52 am

That being said, we're not just standing idle doing nothing, we're listening to bug reports and fix those that are possible to fix as soon as possible, so don't worry ;)

Maxyking25
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Swiss
ESO: Maxy147
Steam: Evil Morty

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:35 pm

So today i played 4-5 rounds and no OOS or desync happend. nothing crashed..
Cant complain

PepePeyote
Master Engineer
Master Engineer

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:24 pm

AlistairJah wrote: OOS is most of the time caused by the presence of AI players. It's also occurring with certain game configurations (I recall African civs tend to cause more OOS). Ragequit before the end of a battle/match also causes OOS (that's what regular players are saying). OOS rarely has other causes. Keep an eye out for those reasons, but tell us if you find other potential causes.

Also, there's some annoying sh*t I wanna clear up before I leave...

Pepe, your bullsh*t makes me think you're just here to talk sh*t about the mod without really experiencing that much cr*p. Regular players agree that most of the time, OOS is either due to ragequit or due to the presence of computer players. Just hundreds of proof that you're wrong: people over the mod's Discord server frequently play and they rarely get OOS, in which case they immediately report it. If they really get so much OOS "to the point that they uninstall the mod", it makes me wonder why did the mod's statistics go from the "hundreds of match infos collectable by hands" to "thousands of match infos which collection requires scripts" (you can find the discussion in the mod's Discord).

Seriously dude, you having problems with the mod doesn't mean the others have the same problems as yours. If you want to help, then help. If you hate those things that much, just uninstall the fr*ck*ng mod, let the rest of players enjoy our hard work and let the dev do their job — finding the definitive solution would help not only the mod, but also the rest of the modding community.

Damn lol, you need to take it easy. Chill dude.

In the first place why would I need to lie? I genuinely have heard and saw people saying they are uninstalling the mod because of OOS. Those are not my own words. Maybe they are exaggerating, maybe they won't even do a thing about it, who cares, the thing is that happened. When I referred to a Youtuber I meant SamuraiRevolution. He has a couple of vids on WoL where his games crashed randomly and many people in the comments agree with him. I have played with him and also experienced crashes so I'm definitely not making anything up. I have experienced many OOS lately only on ESO, that doesn't mean I'm planning to quit the playing the mod lol.

So yeah, get this straight  because lying is the most awful thing you can accuse me for.

Secondly, why would I keep playing this mod if I thought it was sh*t? That makes no sense. You're making no sense dude.

I honestly feel sad for you if you think I'm just here to "talk sh*t about the mod". My posts in this forums have all been suggestions or feedback. If you can't take criticism and get emotional over it then it's your problem, not mine. I have never insulted the work of the devs, so you better calm down, seriously.

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:40 am

Oh did I sound like I was raging? Yeah no, so don't worry. Just let me clear it up mate so there's no more misunderstanding.

In short words, you said that all configurations cause OOS. Yeah, yeah, read it again and you'll see that you made it sound like WoL would always OOS-crash regardless of the configuration. Ooor I'm just misunderstanding ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

First, it's hard to believe that you have tried all possible configurations, because the range of possibilities can reach more than thousands of games, so you may have said it just for exaggeration — or just to "talk sh*t about the mod", but it's clear now that you would not do that cuz you like the mod ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Secondly, infos we collected combined with our chats in Discord just show that OOS doesn't happen in all cases as you made it sound like. So, again, I may have misunderstood you, buuttt saying "regardless of civs, units, maps" is pure bullsh-ooops there's a "for 3 days", ah so it's not an absolute truth, it's rather a lack of luck; sorry dude.
Thirdly, "like many people have pointed out" equals "as you can see, people have the same problems as me", which I think is not normal. In fact, as Hoop said, you're the only "people" (so far) that pointed that all-configs-OOS issue out.

Either way, it's just a short story between us so don't let it make us forget that the dev is trying to fix this frequent issue. For good, I hope.
PepePeyote wrote:I honestly feel sad for you if you think I'm just here to "talk sh*t about the mod". My posts in this forums have all been suggestions or feedback. If you can't take criticism and get emotional over it then it's your problem, not mine.
Uuughhh... Have you ever seen me raging in other posts... It's just that in this very thread, you said things that are contradictory relatively to the data we have. We both can't afford lies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PepePeyote
Master Engineer
Master Engineer

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:34 am

AlistairJah wrote:
Oh did I sound like I was raging? Yeah no, so don't worry. Just let me clear it up mate so there's no more misunderstanding.

In short words, you said that all configurations cause OOS. Yeah, yeah, read it again and you'll see that you made it sound like WoL would always OOS-crash regardless of the configuration. Ooor I'm just misunderstanding ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

First, it's hard to believe that you have tried all possible configurations, because the range of possibilities can reach more than thousands of games, so you may have said it just for exaggeration — or just to "talk sh*t about the mod", but it's clear now that you would not do that cuz you like the mod ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Secondly, infos we collected combined with our chats in Discord just show that OOS doesn't happen in all cases as you made it sound like. So, again, I may have misunderstood you, buuttt saying "regardless of civs, units, maps" is pure bullsh-ooops there's a "for 3 days", ah so it's not an absolute truth, it's rather a lack of luck; sorry dude.
Thirdly, "like many people have pointed out" equals "as you can see, people have the same problems as me", which I think is not normal. In fact, as Hoop said, you're the only "people" (so far) that pointed that all-configs-OOS issue out.

Either way, it's just a short story between us so don't let it make us forget that the dev is trying to fix this frequent issue. For good, I hope.
PepePeyote wrote:I honestly feel sad for you if you think I'm just here to "talk sh*t about the mod". My posts in this forums have all been suggestions or feedback. If you can't take criticism and get emotional over it then it's your problem, not mine.
Uuughhh... Have you ever seen me raging in other posts... It's just that in this very thread, you said things that are contradictory relatively to the data we have. We both can't afford lies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You came up basically calling me a bullsh*itter and randomly cursing all over your post. If that's not raging then I don't know what it is. Whatever it was, it's not like I even care but don't use that tone again. I expect people to behave properly specially if we are being serious on this subject which I definitively am. I never insulted you or any of the devs and their work so I expect not to see my criticism called "annoying sh*t" again.

I did say I experienced OOS LATELY with all configurations. I specified this only happened to me while playing on ESO. So it's not like I was saying this mod was unplayable, only that it was incredibly unstable on ESO lately. I don't know why this is happening, you as devs don't know either. When I said that "even the devs have no idea why this is happening" I wasn't lying at all, now was I? You said it yourself, you are in the process of fixing this issue and others and this is done in conjunction with the reports of the community, your so called data.
My post was exactly just that,a report of my personal (and others) experiences, which you immediately disregarded as "bullsh*it" and then accused me of just being here to "talk sh*it".

An incredibly immature way to react to feedback.

I don't know why you're bringing up Hoop here. As far as I know he only doubted my claims (which is perfectly fine) but didn't proceed to call me names and swear at me.

You claim your data is collected from chats with players on Discord. Even more, you claim such data is flawless and thus any reports that are not coinciding with it are deemed to be "lies" lol.
Sorry to tell you but, if that is the way you collect your data, then no wonder you still have issues with the mod. There are a lot of players who reside out of that Discords bubble of yours, many people who play the mod with just their friends and not online.

That would be like saying only the people registered on the official forums have a saying within the mod, excluding those who only use the Facebook groups or Gameranger chat. It is flawed by design.

Also, did you even read the OP? The guy says that he has crashes regardless of the maps and civs he's playing. He specifically says the same thing as me, it doesn't matter if your playing on land or water maps, old and new, using 'nilla civs or WoLs, crashes happen regardless of that. Of course his post and mine are different, but the essence is still there. Crashes don't only happen because of the Fazenda or Egypt, or because someone rage quits as you may wish it did. It' s a problem far beyond those isolated cases.

I normally would just ignore your rage post. It is well known by the community that some devs have petty and outright nasty attitudes towards the community, I'm not the first case and definitively won't be the last one. This toxicity has even driven the most popular WoL youtuber to stop playing the mod altogether and I don't even need to bring up the details. I'm pretty sure most people know what and who I'm talking about.

But since you took a step ahead and crossed the line falsely accusing me of the most stupid things, I'll tell you this: I will be making a video just to show you how everything I said it's true. I don't care what you do with it, if you even watch it or not. I'm not letting some random guy with anger issues tarnish my image. A previous dev once said I was making a bid deal out of the Peruvian blackbelts and said "dude everybody knows the Blackbelts are OP" to which then I proceeded to show him proof that indeed not 'everybody' knows the Blackbelts are OP; the guy didn't even bother to cope with it.

PS: You let your emotions take over you just because a bunch of guys said they were uninstalling the mod? (most likely joking). C'mon now.

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:45 am

the cringefest is on fire
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:29 am

Yeah it's embarrassing...
1. Pepe makes sense. I took more (way more) as a sarcasm (aka "personal" attack, quoted because I have no idea how else to say it) and "exaggerated" statement than actual feedback. My profound apologies for the occasioned trouble and cringe. I'm on it ;) although I can claim to have been nice during other times nah seriously it was stupid... Sorry dude.
2. Sorry dude, your statements were not bullsh*t.
3. Nope. Basically there are thousands of forms that are just waiting to be merged into some graphs but DOTN can't do them by hands. Dunno if he'll publish them (if you remember, we published data too, last year). But chats are confirming that OOS doesn't happen in all configurations. You know the math thing, if one is wrong, the whole chain is wrong.

I have no comment for the rest, I'm basically mouthless.