This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Hospital! This forum is for bugs and error reporting.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Dwuu
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Age of Empires 3 has stopped working

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:28 am

Hey y'all!

I've been playing vanilla for many years until my friends told me to try out this mod!  Eagerly looking forward to play with them, I quickly follow all the instructions to install the game.  Wars of Liberty successfully installed in the bin folder (Steam version) and I launched it with success.  HOWEVER!  After closing and running the update tool and patching to 1.0.9c the game either claims it has stopped working or it errors and says "Memory System Error Unable to allocate memory, size: 1073741824 The application will now exit" - I have a GTX 660ti so I dont think I'd be out of memory on AoE 3!  The vanilla and unpatched versions also work fine!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

My Specs are:
Windows 8 (not 8.1)
8 GB RAM
GTX 660ti
i7 3770k

Dr Roach
Acá-Caraya
Acá-Caraya

Re: Age of Empires 3 has stopped working

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Are there any other high-memory things running? I'm no computer whiz, but I've gotten stuff like that in other games on computers with bad graphics cards.

Septafolia
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Indians

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:20 pm

This game is 12 years old. I'm sure your graphics card is powerful enough.

I'm not knowledgeable enough either to know exactly what's going on, but are you sure you have enough free disk space on your drive?
Image Image Image Image Image

Pierre Jean
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Turks

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:41 pm

Usually, when the computer says "memory", it's almost all the time about RAM, rather than disk space. I might be fully wrong though.
Anyways, I got the same error when I tried to "destroy" the game with a very massive array. Seems like the game handles only up to ~3GB of RAM. But I really, really don't know what's going on with your game, since you did nothing else than patching it.
You are not responsible for the head you have but you are responsible for the mouth you make.

Dwuu
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:57 am

Hmmm yes I've googled the issue as thoroughly as I could before I made the post.  It seems I don't have a DirectPlay item when I go to "Turn Windows Features on or off" - although I just assume Windows 8 does not include this as a option (vanilla still works fine).  I have tried several variations of compatibility mode and running as Administrator but to no avail (although I did not exhaustively attempt the Vista options or various options with Administrator disabled).  

Thanks so much for the replies!  I think the issue could lie with my system (Windows 8 is one terrible OS) in some way!

AlistairJah
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: French

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Please remove all files related to game. I mean, all files, from My documents to Program Files.
Reinstall the game. Patch each of the game if needed - Vanilla, TWC, TAD. Backup the age3y.exe.
Run the game and play a little.
Install WoL, base version and play a little.
Patch WoL, and run the game to see if the problem persists.
If the problem persists, backup the file age3y.exe (with a different name since the first is of the base game, and this one is of WoL).
Take the age3y.exe of the base game, and replace the age3y.exe of WoL with it.
Run the game, just to see if it has something to do with the executable.
If the game ran without any error message, then yes, it has something to do with the executable. So, download the unhardcode patch, and apply the patch to the age3y.exe, with all the features disabled.
Run the game. If you don't get any error message, then the error came probably from the WoL's executable. Otherwise, it's a problem with the unhardcode patch - WoL uses it.

However, I must warn you - and all the others which probably got the same error - that this error did not occur to the majority of the people who patched their copies. So, either it's a kind of incompatibility between your system and the unhardcode patch, or it's simply something that only @Daniel Pereira can solve.
(fr) Regarde à travers et vois le cygne et ce qui vit au-delà de l'au-delà.

Dwuu
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am

Problem has been solved after deleting all files (My documents and Steam installation) and reinstalling!

Thanks so much Alistair (awesome writeup, too bad only the first part applied :( :( :( ) and everyone else who replied!!!!  I will make sure to donate to this game!

AlistairJah
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: French

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:11 am

Thank you too for loving WoL, it makes us even more excited in the development of the mod!
(fr) Regarde à travers et vois le cygne et ce qui vit au-delà de l'au-delà.

Pierre Jean
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Turks

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 am

AlistairJah wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:44 pm
Please remove all files related to game. I mean, all files, from My documents to Program Files.
That was kind of risky to just say that without asking if he has another mod installed or something like that.
You are not responsible for the head you have but you are responsible for the mouth you make.

Dr Roach
Acá-Caraya
Acá-Caraya

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:29 pm

If he borked his install, then it's borked. You have to un-bork it by uninstalling the game.