This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Hospital! This forum is for bugs and error reporting.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

SantiagoOcampo
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Habsburgs

Failed to load UHC.dll - Please help!

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:00 am

Hi,

First i'd like to thank all the people that make the mod and this forum possible. These are amazing and i am sincerely grateful that thanks to that this game lives on stronger than ever.
But.
I can't play the mod.
Whenever I try to execute Wars of Liberty the following message appears: Failed to load UHC.dll!
It's not because it's not there, I checked more than once and even put the file in System32 just in case. I've encountered other problems in the past with other mods and Aoe3 itself, but this one is just out of my understanding, and there seems to be no information online other than the UHC patcher which i can't execute for some reason (I double click it, and the little spinning thing appears at the cursor like it's starting/processing, but it goes away after 5 seconds and nothing happens; as a not-so-much related thing, this also happened with ImpModPatcher, maybe my computer just doesn't like aoe3 mod patchers).
My clean version of Aoe3 complete collection is updated and works normally, btw.

So... i'm clueless and I've come here looking for help. pls.
Thanks!

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Re: Failed to load UHC.dll - Please help!

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:08 am

Probably whatever exe you're trying to execute the mod from doesn't recognize your install at all.

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: French

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Hey @SantiagoOcampo, thanks for the kind words!
For some reason, it seems that the version of UHC.dll in your folders is different from what the age3y.exe is trying to load. I suggest you to make a backup of the age3y.exe and apply the latest UHC patch — which you can find here.

EDIT:
I almost forgot: when you apply the UHC patch, the configuration file's filename should be "wol.cfg" (or just "cfg". And without the quotes, obviously).
Mis band dondrna b at fa so gaga oe ts maay angle lery

SantiagoOcampo
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks for the fast answers! I tried a couple of things, based on what you said. I installed from scratch in Program Files (I had it in D: disk due to lack of space) to see if it had anything to do with that. And nope, nothing changed. Then I tried to execute the UHC patcher but, like I said previously, it wouldn't do anything. It starts, loads a bit (no windows pop or anything), and then nothing, it closes again. So I looked up why this would happen and it was suggested that something about the registry file was preventing exe files from being recognized, I did the fix it was suggested. Same results. Finally, I executed theUHC  patcher in safe mode just in case and same thing. Nothing.
It's frustrating, i'm not gonna lie.
My final hypothesis is that my pc doesn't have some key system updates installed (it's more than 10 years old) required to make all that function properly
or,
that it has some very selective and cruel virus of some sort (which I also discarded but maybe my analysis tools are not great either)
So i'll install said updates and see what happens! then i'll post results.
Thanks again!
Pd: maybe it's just time to buy a new pc lol

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: French

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Your problem is weird :hmm:
The base game and the mod must be in the same folder, AND the mod must overwrite the base game. This, however, should not generate a UHC error.
Mis band dondrna b at fa so gaga oe ts maay angle lery

Stealth
Master Engineer
Master Engineer
Favorite Civilization: Italians
ESO: RickRuler
Steam: Davinci

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:54 pm

My guess is probably the age of the pc. If you like playing pc games, its well worth the investment

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:06 pm

Personally I'd say it's the UHC

SantiagoOcampo
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Hoop Thrower wrote: Personally I'd say it's the UHC
:hmm: Is there any fix for it other than the patcher you can think of?

SantiagoOcampo
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:02 am

Hey!

I'm glad to inform that my problem was finally fixed and I can play Wol now!
Turns out it was something related to windows updates: over the past 3 days, I installed over 200 updates for windows that had been acumulating over the years, and then everything was functional again; I didn't even had to run the UHC patcher.
I guess the lesson here is to keep your system updated.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post showing your support, it adds to to the awesomeness that this mod is!

PD: My first civ was colombians, since I'm a colombian myself, and i noticed that the voices are the default ones for Spain. If you (developers) ever want to change or update that, I'm willing to record the voice for a unit or two :)