This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Hospital! This forum is for bugs and error reporting.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Lutefiskur
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

FPS drops, freezes.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 am

Hi!

I have some problems with Wars of Liberty (Age of Empires III: Complete Edition STEAM). FPS drops and little, short freezes all the time. Even on small maps and very low graphic settings. It's really irritating. Normal game (vanilla) runs fantastic without any issues, on max settings.

Win 10 Pro
8 GB RAM
GTX 970
i5 2500 3,3Ghz

Is there anything to do about that, or it's normal development-stage problems?

EDIT: Ofc I tried reinstalling AoE 3 and mod. I tried installing WoL in copied AoE3 STEAM folder and in original STEAM folder with game. It doesn't help.

Maxyking25
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Swiss
ESO: Maxy147
Steam: Evil Morty

Re: FPS drops, freezes.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Changing grafics doesnt change anything, this game is 10 years old.. Every CPU internal grafic chip can handle this game...
Did you try window mode on max  resolution?
Try run the game as admin.
Delete the AI3 folder under "documents/My Games/Wars of Liberty "
Did you update your WOL to the newest version?
Check under Nvidia control panel, that the game uses the Grafic card and not your CPU

Speedyblupi
Roto
Roto
Favorite Civilization: Ethiopians

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:23 pm

"Changing grafics doesnt change anything, this game is 10 years old.. Every CPU internal grafic chip can handle this game."

Of course any recent integrated graphics can run the game, but it still runs faster with better graphics and with lower settings. I'm using radeon integrated graphics from 2013, and there is a huge difference in the speed Wars of Liberty runs at between minimum and medium graphics. TF2 is a game which came out only a couple of years after AoE 3, and I have to use a low graphics mod with it to reduce texture detail to get consistent 60 fps.

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: French

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:03 pm

There are a lot of possible reasons for this: super high poly models, maps with a lot of cliffs, defensive computer player (applies to multiplayer only. Computer players don't cause lags in Single Player), maps with super low elevation, zoom that is too far, too many units, triggers and a lot more. It can as well be a problem on your end only. Me, for example, I don't experience frame drops at all.
Unless you play a lot of games, you can't determine which of those are the reasons why you experience frame drops.

Reducing graphics helps. Also, avoid running other programs in the background. If it still doesn't do it, then run the task manager and try to analyze it... If you need further assistance, PM me.
Mis band dondrna b at fa so gaga oe ts maay angle lery