This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Hospital! This forum is for bugs and error reporting.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

RL04
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Computers too strong

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I played many times in the skirmish mode on easy. And it was too easy I think, so I went on moderate mode and it was so difficult. OK it could be that I'm too bad, but my team mates were all killed after half an hour and the enemies attacked me every time, so I couldn't win. Could you please let the Computers play a bit easier, please? And one thing I hate is that if you resign, your homecity won't have more levels before starting and that's bad because you play a long time for nothing.

Could you please change the options?

Thanks for reading.

Have a nice day

Yours Kilian

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: French

Re: Computers too strong

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:15 am

Hello Kilian. I can definitely swear the Computer players are very weak, and people say that even the Expert level is still very weak. I'm working on making them stronger, although I already know that bots will never be as good as humans.

I understand that it might be too strong for you, but I'm sure that after several experiences on sandbox and easy, you'll definitely become familiar with Wars of Liberty and beat the Computer Players sooner or later.
Mis band dondrna b at fa so gaga oe ts maay angle lery

Maxyking25
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Swiss
ESO: Maxy147
Steam: Evil Morty

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:48 pm

Lel It might be that im rly bad in getting into some WOL civs, But expert bots rek me everytime after around 15-20 mins.
I think it also depents on wich AI is playing there.. The germans and chineese are pretty strong

lucaselpato
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi,

I played hundreds of skirmishes with the computer in expert mode and FFA, several online games with 3 human VS 4 or 5 computers, and I NEVER had as many difficulties as with this mod!

In the last 10 skirmishes with WOL, I've been attacked by four or five different computers, several times, in the first 15 minutes! And always with strong and numerous troops!

What makes the game too hard (and unfair) is that the computer tracks all the workers, even the most backward or hidden in the map, even when they are moved long distances. It looks like the computer has no fog, it sees everything as if it had sent spies all over the map.

Personally I do not enjoy playing with expert computers in these conditions. You only defend by ruining yourself, you resist, resist, and it's only after an hour that you finally manage to really attack the computer in its base.

Circle of Ossus
Texas Ranger
Texas Ranger
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:17 pm

I suggest playing some multiplayer games with people that are very good at the game, and perhaps watch some videos how to play aoe3  well. One huge mistake I made before, was that I only put upgrades into my deck; however you will need crates and units to resist, or even attack, the AI.

TBH, while the AI performs well at game start, they are however not aggressive enough after about 30 minutes (and they don't have upgrade cards made for longer matches). In previous versions the Colombian AI was a murderous machine; now it is no longer. The reason why this has changed is simply because the code was not safe enough, and had to be redone, and somehow the AI got less aggressive because of that.

EDIT: the loss in aggressiveness is very clear when you play on hard. The AI tries to do well, but you simply overwhelm it.
<a href="viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612" class="postlink" >Swiss UA Proposal</a>

Stealth
Paisano
Paisano
Favorite Civilization: Italians
ESO: RickRuler
Steam: Davinci

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:11 am

Some players on ages of empires are better than others and it does not matter which civ they use, they will still win. They know how to micromanage really well. Expert level for some players is easy (not me) and hard for others (like me) lol . Some civs are better than others, and some maps are easier than others. AI sucks on water maps because they never can plan a strong attack on your land, I wont even play a water map vs AI, waste of time.  On AOE3 and WOL, the Ottomans who are one of the strongest civs in the game for some reason are weak with AI. Canada who is one of the weaker civs is completely over powered. If you play teams with 3 different AI civs, for some reason your ally seems to be useless most of the time while your enemy AI is aggressive.  But even if you are not that good, its still a fun game even though it can be frustrating at times. And as in any game , once you become too good at it, it tends to get boring