This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Hospital! This forum is for bugs and error reporting.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

TR_Feds
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

scenario editor

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:53 pm

I just modified an existent map just out of curiosity to see how this tool works. however, once I test it, I can't send shipments, and the AI basically does nothing at all. I've seen there are ways to make it work on the vanilla version of the game, but since I'm using the mod, I'm afraid I might mess it up. Anyone can give me some tips on how to make it work¨? is there a way to save the map as an skirmish map in order to play with other factions? 

EDIT:

So, I managed to put AI on the others players. Work well however, I experienced a lot of framedrops on the editor (might be the editor itself) dunno. Also managed to select a home city and send shipments, but weirdly enough, I got the vanilla spanish homecity (tried with other factions, all of them were the vanilla ones). There were a some Homecitys with weird names I didn't test yet. Also, when I select the AI there like a lot of AI's available, so what are their differences? are these AI's the ones you added with the mod?

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: French

Re: scenario editor

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:34 am

TR_Feds wrote:
I can't send shipments
It occurs when more than one player plays the same civilization. It rarely occurs when each player has different civilization. You can "fix" this by manually setting each player's homecity file. Homecity files are in [Installation directory]\data\. For example, homecity file for French is homecityfrench.xml. Copy the proper file for your civ and paste it into [Installation directory]\CAMPAIGN\homecity. Then open the editor, load your scenario and go to Scenario>Player data. There you will find 4 buttons for each player:
Set AI: sets the script file which will control the computer player. This is useless if the controller is not Computer.
Clear AI: if you have set an AI for the player and would like to cancel.
Set HC: sets the homecity file for the player. This is the file you copy-pasted from \data\ to \CAMPAIGN\. It can't "evolve" unless you're making a campaign by overwriting the Vanilla campaign. Since there's no pregame options for customizing the deck, you have to make a "pre-made" deck for each player, else it just uses the default deck. There is a homecity editor in the scenario editor but I don't remember where it is — just let check and I will tell you next time. You can also manually edit the file if you want to have more control over the cards — for example if you want to move the factory card from age IV to age III. In that case, you might need to learn about techtrees and stringtables.
Clear HC: if you have set a homecity for the player and would like to cancel.
TR_Feds wrote:
the AI basically does nothing at all
First, you need to do what I have said earlier: set the control to Computer and set an AI file for the player. Most of those files require the presence of an AI start block on the map, so click on Objects>Place objects, find and choose AI start and place it on the AI player's town.
TR_Feds wrote:
I've seen there are ways to make it work on the vanilla version of the game, but since I'm using the mod, I'm afraid I might mess it up.
This mod uses Reyk's editor in order to provide more advanced tools for designers. There are only additions, so there should be no difference that could cause issues.
TR_Feds wrote:
Is there a way to save the map as an skirmish map in order to play with other factions?
Unfortunately, no. If you want to make a skirmish map (a random map), you have to write a Random Map Script. It requires XS coding knowledge, a lot of testing and a lot of patience.
TR_Feds wrote:
I experienced a lot of framedrops on the editor (might be the editor itself) dunno.
Yeah that has become pretty popular lately. There is a greater chance that the frame drops are caused by the AI but I guess we should do further research.
TR_Feds wrote:
Also managed to select a home city and send shipments, but weirdly enough, I got the vanilla spanish homecity (tried with other factions, all of them were the vanilla ones). There were a some Homecitys with weird names I didn't test yet.
Ah, haha! I just realized you already know everything I wrote earlier. I hope it helps other people too.
TR_Feds wrote:
Also, when I select the AI there like a lot of AI's available, so what are their differences? are these AI's the ones you added with the mod?
Those are ones made by ES for the Campaign AI. Most of them are just loaders. If you want to have more details on how they work, just ask — or open those files and try to understand what are said in the comments ;)

I hope I helped.
Mis band dondrna b at fa so gaga oe ts maay angle lery