This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Fountain! This forum is for suggestions about WoL.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Switzerland UA proposal

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:43 pm

As I have seen many people want Switzerland to be in WOL, but have failed to deliver a nice UA, I want to post this ability proposal (this is not a civ design). It is also a more supportive civ:

1. Old European Power: Switzerland was a small European power in the late medieval and early modern times. However, it diminished in power and eventually became a neatral state. This is represented by more powerful but archaic troops early, and they HAVE TO research a sort of early infantry arsenal upgrades before going III (represents their decline). These upgrades will counter a bit the better troops civs have in III. (hidden bonus: defensive III bonusses also available)
2. Swiss Mercenaries: The Swiss were known for their mercenaries. This is represented by your infantry having an ability to sell your troops for coin (at 110% of the original cost ?) (a HC  card will make expand this for artillery and cavalry). This will help to supply your economy to research the early arsenal techs, and will help your economy when enemies are ahead of you in age.
3. Neutrality: Thanks to its neutrality, it can trade with everyone. Or, it can decide to leave its neutral position for once and claim the region as a new canton!
Switzerland can create crate carts that give resources to your allies (by converting into crates near their TC, or by being able to train crates). Maybe these carts trickle a bit of XP. OR, to not make this useless in free-for-all, it can proclaim the colony in III as new canton, giving you +15%hp and att and 15% gather rate, while it hurts allies with -10% in these areas (obviously you have no allies in ffa). Switzerland gathers very slowly from crates (to not use carts for itself), and starts with resources in its coffers at the start.

Inherited weaknesses:
- slow advance to III
- cannot send crates from HC
Last edited by Circle of Ossus on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Re: Switzerland UA proposal

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:39 pm

they are certainly interesting bonuses but I do not quite understand what it is based on for the crate carts
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:11 pm

It is not really based on something: I just wanted a nice side bonus to have Switzerland as more supportive civ, and called it neutrality, as when you are neutral, you can trade with both sides. This trading is reflected by the carts. Switzerland still will have to pay for the carts/crates.
If you know a better name and description, I would love to hear it.

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 pm

it had occurred to me that they could create troops that would become control of some ally (but I think it would be almost impossible)

I also thought that they have multiple troop sending team cards

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Danish

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:31 pm

It seems like you're both confusing "neutrality" with "good support for allies," which it very much isn't.

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:17 am

for nothing, I am inspired in that the Swiss mercenaries were used by many armies of Europe until middle of xix century

for neutrality I have different ideas, probably upload to the forum in English an update of my Swiss design

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:11 pm

I know that neutrality is not the same as helping allies. But I wanted to design something more supportive. I used neutrality in the sense of not taking up fights in the offense or defense. It is clear that this bonus is more gameplay focussed than historical focussed.
Any thoughts on this proposal?

Dr Roach
Acá-Caraya
Acá-Caraya

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:40 pm

Hmeh.......... I don't know. Instead of the crates thing, why not just have them give their allies resource trickles? The better the Swiss economy, the better the trickles.

Circle of Ossus
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Even if this is possible without just researching a certain tech that stays, this might go out of the hand when multiple Swiss are in the same team. Imagine that a Swiss can give 2.5 trickle of each resource at max to its friends (if it is lower, I don't think it will be that impacting). Do that in a team of 4 Swiss players... that's 3 factories working for each player!

The crates are more versatile, and less free (the allies will have to gather the crates). Other Swiss players won't be able to make use of this. If your economy is better, you can buy more crates from which your allies will gain more resources than you paid.
I would perfectly understand it if this Crate Wagon thingy wouldn't make it in a final Swiss design; but I hope it will be used for another civ then. Because I think WOL lacks more supportive oriented civs (Canada is the only pure one; Bulgaria might also be one as it doesn't need eco, and can send its resources instead)

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Danish

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:22 pm

You may be right that we could use more civs that play a supportive role, but I still don't see why that civ would be Switzerland. In all their history, whom has this neutral country ever directly supported (except in earlier centuries by providing mercenaries)?