This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Fountain! This forum is for suggestions about WoL.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Noir
Topic Author
Roto
Roto
Favorite Civilization: Swiss

Switzerland

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:02 pm

Swiss

Since 1848, the Swiss Confederation 
has been a federal state of relatively autonomous cantons, some of which have a history of confederacy that goes back more than 700 years, putting them among the world's oldest surviving republics. The the history of Switzerland since 1848 has been largely one of success and prosperity. Industrialization transformed the traditionally agricultural economy, and  Swiss neutrality during the World Wars and the success of the industry furthered the ascent of Switzerland to its status as one of the world's most stable economies.
In Wars of Liberty, the Swiss are a mercenary civilization, with its focus on their late industrialization that is overlaying the traditional rural economy. They have the best melee infantry from Europe, but are quite bad at gunpowder combat and cavalry training. As they don’t have a sea access, they don’t have exploration colonies, but some settlements on all continents.
Their leader is Jonas Furrer, who was the first president of the confederation from 1848 to 1849 and again in 1852, 1855 and 1858. Jonas participated actively on the political life of Switzerland, helping to create the Federal Constitution. His main quest before being elected for the first time was to end the Sonderbund conflicts. This guided him to a certain presidential office. His favorite personality traits are Mercantile and Diplomatic and his homecity is Bern.
Swiss Statistics:
Military: 3/5
Defenses: 5/5
Economy: 4/5
Tactical: 2/5
Dificulty: 5/5

Bonuses:
Swiss Clockwork: Their culverins are already improved and they can build watch towers that are able of training settlers.
Alpine Cottage: Houses slow down nearby units.
Religious Freedom: Laicism is free (although they have also Lutheranism and Calvinism).
Banking: The Swiss banks are represented as their no need of chests. The gold you send to your settlement is directly put on your inventory.

Weaknesses:
Expensive early game: The Swiss are a really late game civilization, with expensive options in the start and no gunpowder or cavalry units to rush.
No Sea: The Swiss have access only to fishing boats and caravels, so they have to bring ships from other civilizations at expensive gold costs.

Unique Units and Buildings:
Handgonnes: Their late archaic and slow musketeer, can be only upgraded to veteran status, but is cheaper than a normal musketeer. 50f, 25g, 1pop.
Fusilier: The ultimate Swiss unit. 70f, 100g, 3pop.
Flag Bearer: Unit that calls a temporally cease-fire.
Alpine Cottage: House that slows down enemy units and can herd animals. 125w.
Watch Tower: Trains villagers. Can’t be garrisoned or attack, but receives shipments and has a nice line of sight. 100w, 50g, can build one per age.
Mercenary Embassy: Replaces the barracks and the stable and always let you train the Swiss pikemen mercenary. 200w.

Church techs (Federal Constitution shipment):
Industrialization Doctrine: Industrialization politics let your explorer construct a factory (300f, 300w, 300g), but mills and plantations will produce 25% less resources. Age V.
Skirmish Force: Ships a number (10) of Württemberg Jaegers (skirmishers). 1000g, 10pop. Age III.
Grenadier Force: Ships a number (10) of Württemberg Grenadiers. 2000g, 20pop. Age IV.
Red Cross: Ships a number of surgeons (2) and a field hospital wagon.  100f, 50w, 100g, 2pop. Age II.

Shipments:
Trading Company:
2 settlers (Age I), 4 settlers (Age II), 3 settlers (Age I), 5 settlers (Age II), 8 settlers (Age III).
Food crates ‘till 1000 food, all wood crates and all coin shipments (remembering that they are special, as specified).
7 sheeps (Age I), Cheese Production (7 cows and cows fatten faster - Age II)
1 covered wagon + 1 watch tower (Age III), 2 covered wagon + 1 watch tower (Age IV)
TEAM 2 surgeon + 1 field hospital (Age II), TEAM 4 surgeons + 2 field hospitals (Age III), University Hospital of Geneva (1 hospital wagon + 2 surgeons, Age IV)
Alpinist (Improves your explorer in combat and gives him a powerful canine companion, Age I), Diplomat (Gives you a flag bearer, that can call a cease-fire, Age II).
Balloon shits, whatever.
Military Academy:
8 Crossbowman (Age II)/10 Crossbowman (Age III)/24 Crossbowman (Age IV)/14 Crossbowman (Age III)/Swiss Switchblade (Ranged infantry hand attack increased, Age III)
8 Pikemen (Age II)/14 Pikemen (Age III)/Reisläufer (Each Watch Tower spawns 6 pikemen, Age IV)/TEAM Hand Infantry Attack (Age III)/Hand Infantry Hitpoints (Age II)/Hand Infantry Combat (Age III)
TEAM 1 Military Wagon + 2 Handgonnes (Age II), 6 Handgonnes (+ Veteran upgrade, Age III), 1 Military Wagon + 8 Handgonnes (Age IV), Cavalry Handgonnes (All your handgonnes transform into dragoons, Age IV + 500g)
TEAM 1 Agricultural Wagon + 1 Hussar (Age II), 4 Hussars (+ Veteran Upgrade, Age III), 2 Agricultural Wagons + 5 Hussars (Age IV).
7 Halberdiers (Age III)/10 Halberdiers (Age IV)/8 Halberdiers (Age III)/TEAM 4 Swiss Pikemen (Age III)/11 Halberdiers (Age IV)/13 Halberdiers (Age IV)/Wooden Buckler (Hand Infantry hitpoints increased, Age II)
5 Fusilier (Age IV)/ 6 Fusilier (Age IV)
4 Grenadiers (Age III)/7 Grenadiers (Age IV)
6 Petards (Age III)/Explosive Bridges (Your walls deal damage when destroyed, Age IV)
2 Culverins (Age III)/4 Culverins (Age IV)/3 Culverins (Age III)/1 Culverin + 1 Artillery Foundry Wagon (Age II)/Counter-Artillery Attack (Age III)/Counter-Artillery Hitpoints (Age III)/TEAM Counter-Artillery Combat (Age IV)
Advanced Artillery (Age 4)
1 Falconet (Age IV)/2 Horse Artillery (Age IV)/Militia Act (Settlers and revolutionary militia do increased damage against artillery and buildings, Age IV)
Cathedral:
Native Lore/Native Treaties/Native Warriors/Advanced Trading Post/Blood Brothers/TEAM Multicultural Civilization (Native researches are cheaper, Age I)
Fencing School/Engineering School/Research Freedom (Artillery units train even faster, Age IV)
Colonial Militia/Pioneers/Improved Buildings/High Camps (Your houses have a increased slowing range, Age IV)
Fort/National Redoubt (Walls are built faster and improvements are cheaper, Age I)/Castrametation
TEAM Alpine Defenses (1 outpost wagon and increased alpine LOS, Age I)/Frontier Defenses/Advanced Frontier Defenses/Extensive Fortifications/Heavy Fortifications
2 spies/4 Spies/Agents
Federal Constitution/Advanced Surgeries (Your surgeons heal faster, Age III)/Advanced Religion
Advanced Mill/Advanced Plantation/Advanced Market/Advanced Dock/Rhine River Defenses (Your fishing boats get an attack and your docks can now fire without garrisoning, Age III)
Factory/Chocolate Production (Better food production at factories, Age IV)/Wooden Furniture (Better wood production at factories, Age IV)/Textile Industry (Better gold production at factories, Age IV)/Swiss Clockwork (Cannons are produced faster at factories and Watch Towers get an improved line of sight.
Manufacturing Plant:
Stonemasons, Land Grab
Fish Market/Rendering Plant/Schooners/River Lighthouse (Watch towers now boost near ships movement speed, Age II)
Sawmill
Establish Ironmonger/Silversmith/Royal Mint/Capitalism
Stockyards/Ranching
Food Silos/TEAM Sustainable Agriculture/Refrigeration
Furrier/Ram Hunting (Each town center will spawn 6 rams, Age IV)
Rum Distillery/Cigar Roller/TEAM Textile Mill
Harbor:
Admiralty
1 Caravel/2 Portuguese Caravels (400g)/1 Dutch Fluyt (400g)/1 Spanish Galleon (600g)/1 German Frigate (750g)/1 British Monitor (800g) = All these cards are infinite, except the “1 Caravel”.
Dance Hall/Swiss Pub (Now saloons can be built on Age I and boost nearby working, Age I)/Alpine Inn (Saloons get more hitpoints and you can construct another 2, Age III)/Nightclub (Swiss Pikemen cost less population and can now be trained at town centers and forts, Age IV)
Band of Swiss Pikemen Mercenaries (6 units, Age II, 500g)/ Hire Swiss Pikemen Mercenaries (12 units, Age III, 1000g)/ Hire Swiss Pikemen Army (24 units, 2000g).
TEAM Band of Swiss Pikemen Mercenaries (3 units, Age II, 500g)/ TEAM Hire Swiss Pikemen Mercenaries (6 units, Age III, 1000g)/ TEAM Hire Swiss Pikemen Army (12 units, 2000g).
Band of Swiss Pikemen Mercenaries (Infinite, 5 units, Age II, 600g)/ Hire Swiss Pikemen Mercenaries (Infinite, 10 units, Age III, 1200g)/ Hire Swiss Pikemen Army (Infinite, 20 units, 2400g).
TEAM Mercenary Loyalty/ Switzerland Mercenary Nation (All Swiss pikemen mercenary cards are free, Age IV, 3000g)

Unit Roster:
Crossbowmen: Can become an Arbalester with the royal guard upgrade.
Pikemen: Hand infantry.
Halberdier: Can become Papal Guard with the royal guard upgrade.
Handgonnes: Archaic musketeers.
Hussars: Hand cavalry unit.
Fusiliers: Their ultimate unit.
Swiss Pikemen: Mercenary hand infantry unit.
(Remember that the Swiss pikemen can’t be trained on forts without shipments.)

OBS: Sorry for any English error and I hope you like my idea.
OBS²: I’m not Swiss, so maybe you will find some inconsistencies.

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Re: Switzerland

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:41 pm

I find the civ bonusses a bit too ordinary ( the house thing even reminds me of Russia and the Incas).  But I find it mostly weird that a country that had quite some military potential in the early modern era, but later became neutral, would become a late game civ.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

Mandalore_Vlad
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Germans
ESO: Mandalore_Vlad

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:00 pm

It is not for nothing but the scheme of the civi is much like Holland and Habsburg in a way
Mas vale un vivo que un muerto...Morir por los tuyos es un gran sacrificio pero vivir por ellos es un sacrificio aun mayor

Fenriz
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Uzbeks
Steam: fenrizsomethinggame

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:06 pm

The unique units have extremely generic names, you can find better denominations.
"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement." Image

Noir
Topic Author
Roto
Roto

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:40 am

Circle of Ossus wrote: I find the civ bonusses a bit too ordinary ( the house thing even reminds me of Russia and the Incas).  But I find it mostly weird that a country that had quite some military potential in the early modern era, but later became neutral, would become a late game civ.
Well, the house thing I took from the Habsburgs, the Swiss bonus is "houses slow down nearby units". About the late game, it's more about the economy and the army modernization... But yeah, it makes sense  :oops:

Noir
Topic Author
Roto
Roto

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:46 am

Mandalore_Vlad wrote: It is not for nothing but the scheme of the civi is much like Holland and Habsburg in a way
I removed some things that were making them seem more like Holland than everything, like a market that would be capable of generating gold, so I put the gold inventory bonus, that seems more original and is capable of enphasizing the Swiss banks the same way. About them being like the Habsburgs... Yeah, maybe some generic aspects were from both countries.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:52 am

Eh, Russia has the buildings slowing down enemies already. Besides, absolutely nothing here indicates "army modernization" nor industrialization, economy maybe. But having direct gold instead of crates is so minor.

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:53 am

I see effort but I do not find sense to the design.

is not for make autospam but recently I proposed (in the Spanish forum) a design, the main features are:

Fortified: defensive buildings more cheap, resistant and more variety

Neutrals: they have button of fire stop and buildings with non-attack aura

Armed people: can recruit some soldiers from the houses in blocks of 1.

Mercenaries: they have many units shipment team cards

Bergsteiger: villager with more health, more damage and more stats improvements
Reducto: outpost with greater capacity and greater hp although it occupies greater area and has lower LOS, does not replace the outpost
Hilfezone: building with a temporary non-combat aura button
Switzer: Early halberdier with weak siege damage, counts as mercenary.
Ambulance wagon: wagon with aura of regeneration
Feldarzt: Ultimate Unit, Extra-tough Infantry, can heal units
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

Noir
Topic Author
Roto
Roto

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:06 am

Fenriz wrote: The unique units have extremely generic names, you can find better denominations.
I don't know so much about german or french but all other units/names sound just like generic words... When I found a picture with some names, they were just too old (was something like a middle ages' painting) and I couldn't read due to the stange letter form and to the fact that I also don't know archaic German. Finding names isn't my field. 

Noir
Topic Author
Roto
Roto

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:13 am

HrdsHrdrck wrote: I see effort but I do not find sense to the design.

is not for make autospam but recently I proposed (in the Spanish forum) a design, the main features are:

Fortified: defensive buildings more cheap, resistant and more variety

Neutrals: they have button of fire stop and buildings with non-attack aura

Armed people: can recruit some soldiers from the houses in blocks of 1.

Mercenaries: they have many units shipment team cards

Bergsteiger: villager with more health, more damage and more stats improvements
Reducto: outpost with greater capacity and greater hp although it occupies greater area and has lower LOS, does not replace the outpost
Hilfezone: building with a temporary non-combat aura button
Switzer: Early halberdier with weak siege damage, counts as mercenary.
Ambulance wagon: wagon with aura of regeneration
Feldarzt: Ultimate Unit, Extra-tough Infantry, can heal units
I just feel ashamed now, it's certainly way too better than my suggestion. Curiously I thought about something that was just like that "ambulance wagons" past months, but kinda forgot about them. I just hope that Switzerland will be added, it doesn't matter how.