This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Fountain! This forum is for suggestions about WoL.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

HrdsHrdrck
Blandengue
Blandengue

Re: Arctic Culture

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:05 am

you know, some time ago ossio proposed to the Inuit, I would recommend that you give a view to his post because he has very good ideas and in general the design was very good, you could adapt it and provide more ideas.

sirnori
Topic Author
Horse Grenadier
Horse Grenadier
Favorite Civilization: British
Steam: sirnori

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:59 am

Right.

Septafolia
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Indians

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:44 am

You know what? I actually think this idea has some potential. It could work as a culture that strips the mechanics of this game down to a bare minimum. More straightforward even than the Europeans, since everything is so ridiculously simplified. Perhaps for people who are completely new to the Age of Empires series or even strategy games in general. Like tutorial civs for the whole genre. Find economy ratios intimidating? Now you only really have to worry about one resource. Confused about all the different units and roles? Now you have a simple, straightforward roster. Tried to play France and had no idea how to age up? Now you don't even have to worry about aging up!

I'm thinking this could be the culture that uses a wholly shared roster of generic units, with each civ getting a single unique unit, à la AoE2.

Then again, there are plentiful arguments for why all this doesn't need to be an entire culture.

Edit: Your Seminole design is still far too underdeveloped for anyone to deliver any sort of "final verdict" any time soon.
Image Image Image Image Image

Jutlander
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Polish

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:53 am

HrdsHrdrck has already done like 80% of a culture work, so I'll know call it his culture. His ideas are good. Still, this makes no sense for a culture.

sirnori
Topic Author
Horse Grenadier
Horse Grenadier
Favorite Civilization: British
Steam: sirnori

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 am

I'll edit my design.
Septafolia:
Please tell me exactly where it is underdeveloped and I will mend it.

Circle of Ossus
Independentista
Independentista
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:44 am

There is a huge problem with the concept of not "aging up". This is the HC. Or you start in a later age being able to send military shipments from the start, or you are limited to about 9 cards. To solve this some sort of aging up must be detected. If it is possible, maybe number of shipments sent? 2 --> II 5 --> III  8 --> IV 15 --> V ?
Also, for the resources problem: why not be able to train gaia animals/objects? You could make them spawn I think by doing this: invisible unselectable object trained, it flies away and quickly dies and spawns a herd/some trees/ a mine. This way these civs will maybe have very fast resource gathering for a long time, but their gatherers will always be spread out and not close to the TC. In ffa this will force you to attack your neighbors; however there must be a way to not make such civs spam animals in team games. So most probably the invisible unit should be made rather slowly, and probably should move slowly (and live rather long). That way it should not be viable in the beginning of the game, and would not be very viable for helping out team mates.

IDK,  but I have the feeling they shouldn't use the default line tactic, but instead the spread out (volley??) tactic. This will have the benefit that their mostly infantry armies will last a bit longer.