This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Fountain! This forum is for suggestions about WoL.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Pipo
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: French

British Raj Civ Suggestion

Wed May 15, 2019 4:30 am

Hi, this is my first Civ suggestion -and I think also the first suggestion for the Britsh India in the forum-. Hope you like it and any critics are welcome.

Britsh Raj by Pipo

QueenOfYays
Cangaceiro
Cangaceiro
Favorite Civilization: Americans

Re: British Raj Civ Suggestion

Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 am

What's the difference between this and Indians, in terms of historical origins?

DavidIbragimov
Blandengue
Blandengue
Favorite Civilization: Zulu

Wed May 15, 2019 2:07 pm

-Around what time was this civ active?
-We already kinda have the whole embassy thing with the Brits.........
(Nice units though)
"Once you go Zulu you never go back."

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 pm

I focus mostly on the UA (unique abilities) of designs, and will do it here again.
The caste system bonus is not bad in se, but is too complex for this mod's scope. It is also hard to balance, as probably it might result in spamming one type of villager. You could do things like "you train shudras alongside your vaishyas. Shudras are less efective at gathering and have less hitpoints, and die after a certain time ?? due to poverty IDK ??".  No idea how to throw in the kshatriyas into that.
Rice paddies sound more like a card option. Not necessarily, but it's minor.
Governor: that's probably a big no, as it removes uniqueness of the Anglophone culture, like the previous proposal. Also, reusing other culture's stuff isn't the best as design cf Romania, which will get reworked.
Unbalanced costs: that's a UA, but a minor one. Does suit with the paddies.

Besides your too complex villager system, you have mainly assigned small uniques. The unbalanced costs could be a unmentioned unique. I think this design might need something that makes the design more solid. You have clearly done a substantial amount of research, and it's one of the best designs I've seen in months. I advise to take a look at the other British Raj thread, as I remember it being quite solid too. EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1267&hilit=raj
EDIT 2: don't stare yourself blind at it, or don't just copy everything. It's best to have a solid design of yourself.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

DavidIbragimov
Blandengue
Blandengue

Wed May 15, 2019 4:37 pm

@Circle of Ossus
Remeber how you suggested making a card which sends the "Circle of Ossus" Unit Support?
Maybe we could make something like that with these units?

We could maybe get a Bengal and Madras/Bombay Army support Cards for the Indian civ.

If it will function as Pipo said, we could make one army cost Food, while the other costs Coin. 
Lets say maybe 4000-5000 for a large mixed number of Soldiers from each side, and also 1000-1500 resource opposite of the costing resource.
So if 1 costs food it will also give Gold with troops, and the other way around....

Pipo
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: French

Wed May 15, 2019 8:43 pm

What's the difference between this and Indians, in terms of historical origins?
The Indians in WOL right now represent the Mughal Empire, this civ is supposed to represent the British dominion in India. It would be somewhat similar to the case of most Native American civs and some American countries.
-Around what time was this civ active?

-We already kinda have the whole embassy thing with the Brits.........
The British Raj was established as a direct rule from the Crown in India in 1858 until the independence of India, but the british were present in the subcontinent long before as the East India Company (EIC). I think that the brits in the Indian embassy represent more the EIC, and this civ represent more the British rule over India as a direct crown Dominion
Also, I made some changes in the design:
- Remove the Governor bonus
- The kshatriya now is more of a reskin for the Fur Trader while keeping some of their previous abilities
- Added the Pearl of the Empire Bonus to the civ
- Added the Infrastructure Investment Bonus to the civ
- Added a chart of the Politicians and their unique techs

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Pipo wrote: -and I think also the first suggestion for the Britsh India in the forum-
dude...

it's not bad, it's not good, keep working
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

DavidIbragimov
Blandengue
Blandengue

Thu May 16, 2019 2:52 am

Hey, I am thinking about suggesting a civ and ask permission to use these 2 as reference examples.