This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Fountain! This forum is for suggestions about WoL.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

WvHawkvW
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

A Question of History

Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:36 pm

Age of Empires has always been a historical game that would educate the players. However, AOE3 was different in that it never really bothered to do that, giving the player a fictional story with limited historical accuracy.

Which is why I find AOE3WOL so interesting. It's given me a lot to research, and I'm learning quite a lot as I go along. For example, Brazil got more slaves than any other country in the world, Simon Bolivar was South America's George Washington, and Argentina gets silver crates because the spaniards thought it was the land of silver, so the Spaniards named it after Argentum, latin for Silver.

But I do have a question.

What do Argentina's horses reference? Are they really all a bunch of horseriding cowboys? I almost feel like that's racist, but at the same time one of the staff members is from Brazil so maybe another is from Argentina?

What do the horses reference?

Fenriz
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Uzbeks
Steam: fenrizsomethinggame

Re: A Question of History

Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:18 pm

This can help you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaucho, Argentina have a great equestrian tradition.
"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement." Image

saifrafatnew
Voluntário da Pátria
Voluntário da Pátria

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:09 pm

"Racism" isn't a good word, but yes, many civ bonus are indeed derived from stereotypes.

WvHawkvW
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Fenriz wrote: This can help you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaucho, Argentina have a great equestrian tradition.
Thanks!
saifrafatnew wrote: "Racism" isn't a good word, but yes, many civ bonus are indeed derived from stereotypes.
There needs to be a more generalized term than "Racist" imo, but that's a discussion for another thread I suppose.