This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Fountain! This forum is for suggestions about WoL.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

HrdsHrdrck
Naffatun
Naffatun
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Re: Jamaica Suggestion

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm

now, about the units, some of them could be simply unique skin of prexisting units (like the colonial milita could be only a texture for the milita), other are very strange and others have no sense (you have a explicit ashanti unit and a lot of explicit british unit, also images of mexican army wtf)

anyway you only needs to substract all the uneccesary elements and think in a interesting way to play and this could works.
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

maxmatt
Topic Author
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest
Favorite Civilization: Chinese

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks for your opinion and suggestions, we really will not know what can be unbalanced without testing, but I think not to much subvertion, the main change are the factions that in this case are dependencies. On British troops, the Jamaican army is totally British lol, except that I gave emphasis to the troops of Jamaicans who served by the British and British troops who came to Jamaica.

On the Ashantis, most of the Marons that caused rebelions on Jamaica were the Akan / Coromantee, they are totally ashanti, but they ended up in Jamaica lol.

On the "Mexican" troop, they are refugees from Corozal (Belize) who were fleeing from the Maya during "the Caste War of Yucatan", they received reinforcements of British / Jamaican weapons and troops.

about weird things, I found things like Mounted Manitee and Mounted Turtle, that I did not even add lol

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Danish

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:13 pm

A civ design/suggestion needs to be solid and near finished before anyone is going to even think about coding it. Don't expect testing to fix all the problems: even then only numbers will be adjusted, usually not whole concepts.

Pick a primary focus and stick with it. Right now the most interesting idea you've got is the natives thing and subversion of the faction system. Figure that out before trying to add secondary focuses, because right now it's not very unique. And I advise against going for a springboard focus. It's too tricky to get right without making the civ OP. I speak from experience.

Until then, no one else is going to design your civ for you.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:17 am

Indeed, I wouldn't even consider testing this civilization since I have no idea what it's trying to do in the first place. Everything feels so vague about it.