This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

XavierXante
Topic Author
Carabinier
Carabinier
Favorite Civilization: Sioux

Italy_guide/strategy.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:36 pm

As mentioned in title, a guide/strategy on Italy would be appreciated. I couldn't get the hang of it, no matter how much I tried.

oscars
Villero
Villero
Favorite Civilization: Americans

Re: Italy_guide/strategy.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:25 am

i can win against extreme Ai, sometime i play and win against humans, What are your difficulties with Italy? Economy, battle or both?

XavierXante
Topic Author
Carabinier
Carabinier

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:50 pm

No problems with economy. I face problems with battle. I try to decrease enemy's gathering rates by creating Mafiosi and stealthily kill artillery. Upto that it is okay. But once we reach age IV, I start facing problems. Italy units have really weak stats. I tend to lose battles even if I outnumber enemy.

That's why I want to know how experts play as Italy and I'll compare my strategy with theirs, so that I can know where I'm going wrong.

I can win vs expert AI. But against human player, I rarely win. In late games/treaty games, it is even worse. I couldn't even win against an Expert AI.

By the way, I put 100% handicap to expert AI.

oscars
Villero
Villero
Favorite Civilization: Americans

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:14 am

For decrease enemy's gathering rates use Drama card (WoL team fixed), especially in long matches. I don't use Mafiosi too aggressively (in the first part) because they can be revealed and you could lose them in short time... i make 10 architects and then send Cosa Nostra card ( i bet u do the same), i make no more because they are expensive.
Weak stats: i asked many times to improve italian special units but they don't want listen to me because i'm Italian (check my posts)...however try to use all upgrades even advanced arsenal.
If you want to rush you can do it like other european powers, for example xbows+pikes rush or now with 6 bersaglieri card at age II u can Musk rush (or Bersaglieri rush)
Modders improved Askari (patch 1.0.9d) so they upgrade every age up with no cost...then send Rerum Novarum card that upgrade Basilica...pay 1000 g for Zaptiè, all askari transform into stronger Zaptiè. I play them instead of Alpini, try it if u didn't make yet.
In these months i haven't play a lot, i was busy and i didn't find players from my parts to play with.
If you check on youtube u can't find any good video about italians strat because WoL team have a good channel but nobody there play Italy...

LuizMauricio
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:40 am

Hi Xavier, I play sometimes with Italy.
Try to use it in your army halberdiers and grenadiers. This is the best combination for italians.
Always have in your deck the card 5 redshirts.

XavierXante
Topic Author
Carabinier
Carabinier

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:09 pm

oscars wrote: For decrease enemy's gathering rates use Drama card (WoL team fixed), especially in long matches. I don't use Mafiosi too aggressively (in the first part) because they can be revealed and you could lose them in short time... i make 10 architects and then send Cosa Nostra card ( i bet u do the same), i make no more because they are expensive.

If you want to rush you can do it like other european powers, for example xbows+pikes rush or now with 6 bersaglieri card at age II u can Musk rush (or Bersaglieri rush)
Modders improved Askari (patch 1.0.9d) so they upgrade every age up with no cost...then send Rerum Novarum card that upgrade Basilica...pay 1000 g for Zaptiè, all askari transform into stronger Zaptiè. I play them instead of Alpini, try it if u didn't make yet.
In these months i haven't play a lot, i was busy and i didn't find players from my parts to play with.
If you check on youtube u can't find any good video about italians strat because WoL team have a good channel but nobody there play Italy...
Well my strategy was eerily similar to yours (is it the only strategy?), but I haven't tried askaris as I didn't play Italy after 1.0.9.d.

Weak stats: i asked many times to improve italian special units but they don't want listen to me because i'm Italian (check my posts)...however try to use all upgrades even advanced arsenal.
Of course, they won't listen to you, that is the reason I hide my location.

Not only Italians, Incas too have VERY weak stats. So much so that they are almost unplayable. Maybe you can act as support civlisation as you get LOTS of coin, but we have limited options in that. You HAVE to finish the game with in age 2 or age 3. Once enemy reaches age 4, kiss goodbye.
Last edited by XavierXante on Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XavierXante
Topic Author
Carabinier
Carabinier

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:12 pm

LuizMauricio wrote: Hi Xavier, I play sometimes with Italy.
Try to use it in your army halberdiers and grenadiers. This is the best combination for italians.
Always have in your deck the card 5 redshirts.
They are okay-ish to deal with some combos, but Sioux rifle rider will eat them for breakfast.