This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

PepePeyote
Topic Author
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

A few questions/suggestions regarding Italy

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:58 pm

After some matches playing Italy, I can definitely say it's a civilization with it's own flavor. However, there are some things that make Italy weaker in comparison to other civs, especially it's european counterparts, I've also came across some bugs so instead of making a separate thread for each issues I'd assumed it would be best to compile everything I have to say in this topic specially targeting balancing issues.

Having said that here are my main points:

1.- Italy is the only European nation to lack both the 2nd factory and the faster infantry training card. Why is that? Is that in order to compensate something? Because I don't see what could that be. Italy is quite weak without these cards, training inf can be a pain specially during Ages 2-3, considering the italian inf is weaker compared to most other infs it's hard to keep up without having to rely heavily on the more pop and cost expensive cavalry, which I may add, is nothing special.
Elmetis kinda save up Italy's face in that regard, but they become weak on later Ages.

I believe both of these cards should be included in the Italian deck.

2.- Mafiosos are nice and all, but there's a couple of cards that don't seem to work. These are the ones that make mafiosos decrease the enemies stats and gather rates of enemy units. These upgrades are apparently bugged since I found out that after researching them the effects are nonexistent.

3.- The card "Drama" is kind of useless. The Mafioso have the same effect in a tech they can research, one of the ones I mentioned in the previous point.
Why bother having Merchants near the enemy's vill when I can have a stealthed mafioso which in effect does the same thing?

Either rework the card or delete it entirely, because as of right now, it is essentially useless.

4.- What is the Condottiero? Is it a unit which will be added later on? I ask this because there's a bunch of cards that improve both Crossbowman's and Condottiero's stats but the Condottiero is nowhere to be found.

5.- 666 wood 666 food 666 gold. For most people that would be a bizarre yet funny antic, but for someone with gematria knowledge that is a whole different thing. I'm betting you did this as a joke nonetheless.

I think that would be it for the moment. Thanks in advance.

carlosbarano
Independentista
Independentista
Favorite Civilization: Maltese

Re: A few questions/suggestions regarding Italy

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:25 pm

I've mentioned some on other threads, but I agree with most. Italy needs the inf or art trains speed up, perhaps artillery one. Italy is all about replacing units fast, at least for me.

You missed one: the Assassins card only affects spy, not mafiosi :( so it's a pretty shame because mafiosi are the best Italian unit (even though they are a bit expensive, are not strong, and need many many expensive techs).

The tech that gives mafiosi an aura (not the one to decrease villager gather rate, but the other one) to frighten enemies I think, I see no effect, or I don't know how it is or should be.
*Dos errores no hacen un acierto.
**Si tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? Si no tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? :)

PepePeyote
Topic Author
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:12 am

carlosbarano wrote: I've mentioned some on other threads, but I agree with most. Italy needs the inf or art trains speed up, perhaps artillery one. Italy is all about replacing units fast, at least for me.

You missed one: the Assassins card only affects spy, not mafiosi :( so it's a pretty shame because mafiosi are the best Italian unit (even though they are a bit expensive, are not strong, and need many many expensive techs).

The tech that gives mafiosi an aura (not the one to decrease villager gather rate, but the other one) to frighten enemies I think, I see no effect, or I don't know how it is or should be.

The thing with the Mafiosi is that they feel more like combat spies, but their techs and upgrades come way too late in my opinion. And even when fully upgraded, they kinda suck against anything that is not a mercenary or has ranged resistance. Even with their anti-cav bonus, they still do mediocre damage and take way more pop that could be used better for other units,
Also mafiosos don't have the sabotage and other options the normal spy has, so yeah, basically the feel kinda weird.

But yeah, I feel that Assasin card should affect the Mafiosi too.

carlosbarano
Independentista
Independentista
Favorite Civilization: Maltese

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:12 pm

Yes, mafiosi needs love, they need a Godfather that give them a more decent attack and let them be affected by Assassins card, becuase are the only decent Italian unit, but for now are not enough. 
*Dos errores no hacen un acierto.
**Si tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? Si no tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? :)