This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Jutlander
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Polish

Re: Serbia's OP unit death aura

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Yeah, a strong serbian economy is obviously good, but the thing is that Serbians don't really have many ways to get a strong economy going in the first place.

PepePeyote
Topic Author
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:26 am

Circle of Ossus wrote: If only these Hadjuks had an imperial upgrade, then they wouldn't die that quickly... 
XD
I found the aura thing strong early in the game, as it can make a huge diffference in early battles (it temporarily gives your units something like a veteran status). You must also have been playing on wood heavy maps, as for example Polynesian atoll this strategy won't work (you use a lot of wood for crops and hadjuks). If the aura is really that powerfull late in the game, why not decrease a bit the time it is on the field? Also, if I were the enemy, I would try to sneak some cavalry to attack all your wood choppers if I see that many hadjuks.

The map of choice is irrelevant as long as frontal assaults involve a Serbian player. In the Atoll there's plenty of wood to last well over 40 minutes, and an average Serbian player will reach Age 3 in 20 or so.
Also, if you kill the woodchoppers it doesn't change the fact that Serbian units of all kinds are still benefiting from the bonus. I would counter your cav with Stradiots and I would still win easily; I don't even have to bother with Boyars or cav counters because a Stradiot with over 800 dmg is a counter to pretty much everything.

Mercenaries and artillery are benefiting from the bonus as well, so it doesn't matter if I play on wood heavy maps or not, any unit I make can become OP in short time.

You mentioned the Imp upgrade for Hajduks, they really don't need one lol. Their stats have irrational increases well beyond anything post imperial gameplay has to offer.
In fact, the less HP they have the better, that way more of them die and the aura bonus is further increased.

PepePeyote
Topic Author
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:40 am

Jutlander wrote: Yeah, a strong serbian economy is obviously good, but the thing is that Serbians don't really have many ways to get a strong economy going in the first place.

True, while Serbs can struggle a bit with their eco, they are not really handicapped in any way. They have good age-up politicians and the card that makes aging up cheaper is pretty nice too.
I can reach Age 3 in quite short time and have spare resources to make a decent army for defense with that strategy.
Once I get to Age 3 all I need to do is ship the card that makes the aura bonus even better and it's 95% GG.

The only way to bring down Serbia is with an almost perfectly executed early rush before the 7-10 minute mark. The only 3 times I have been defeated while playing Serbia were because of this, and admittedly, it's quite hard to execute such rush. I was only beaten by one of the best players in WoL when playing Serbia, that says a lot.

By the way, I just played Peru and noted their after-death dmg aura bonus doesn't work the way it does for Serbia, so the only concerns would be the Habsburgs and Serbia itself.

I really suggest to put a limit to the increase of this bonus. Don't nerf it, just put a limit to the irrationally high amounts of dmg. Like the others below have said, just limit to a 200% increase or so would do the trick just fine.