This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

101mrniceguy10101
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Habsburgs

Help with playing USA

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:46 pm

I really dont understand how to use them effeciently, all thier techs and the like distract me so much so that by the end of a 40 minute treaty I'm barely out of Imperial age.
Im not sure how thier congress works with Union VS Confederate.
I really want to play them well but I struggle to because I cant figure out what to pick
Any help is appreciated thank you

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Re: Help with playing USA

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:14 pm

The best help I can give is stop playing treaty mode because it's stupid.

RockeRZ6
Paisano
Paisano
Favorite Civilization: Brazilians
Steam: Steel Legion Garen

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:24 pm

The congress is very useful to send state batallions. You can choose either the Union or the Confederacy as an allied to unlock their respective batallions. Also, everytime you advance to the next age, you will also unlock a "voting" based on which party you chose (United States of America or Confederate States of America).

[edit: grammar]

101mrniceguy10101
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Habsburgs

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:34 pm

Where do I find these battalions?

RockeRZ6
Paisano
Paisano

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:59 pm

They are avaliable in the Congress once you chose one party as an ally. For the USA, the avaliable parties are the Union and the Confederacy.

Rampo
Dragoon
Dragoon

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:36 am

Depend on strategy you like: economic, infantry, cavalry or artilery combat, you choose techs fit with yours. 
1: The Great company Tech: you can choose one of these great company in market. once done, a enterpretur (i don't know the exactly name) settler will appear in your HC shipment gather point, use this to build that chosen company, after that, you can train more enterpretur or research unique techs in this company
2: Vote in Congress: there're 2 votes to choice, as always in the present, yes or no. each of these votes gain some effect after reached, like: have good effect at the cost of ... 
For example: a vote: Should we import goodies from Europe?. if you choose yes: Home City shipments arrive faster, but unit upgrades are more expensive. If you choose no: Unit upgrades are cheaper, but Home City shipments take longer to arrive.
Watch out, some vote may transform resources from other to other, like transform your current food to (greater amount) gold. so don't vote this. 
I've trouble playing USA like you, 101mrniceguy10101 , but when i realize which strategy i want to do, i know what i can do with these extra techs.
ESP: Sin amor, el mundo se hundirá en la guerra
POR: Sem amor, o mundo afundará na guerra
ENG: Without love, the world will sink in war

BG Rampo

RockeRZ6
Paisano
Paisano

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:03 am

Rampo wrote:Watch out, some vote may transform resources from other to other, like transform your current food to (greater amount) gold. so don't vote this. 
I still think this voting is non-sense. It would be way better to either increase food/gold income (based on what you voted for) or transform half of your current amount of that resource (what I don't think it is possible to do).

Rampo
Dragoon
Dragoon

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:52 am

RockeRZ6 wrote:I still think this voting is non-sense. It would be way better to either increase food/gold income (based on what you voted for) or transform half of your current amount of that resource (what I don't think it is possible to do).
I remember there're some vote that increase resources income (eka trickle resources), .... RockeRZ6
ESP: Sin amor, el mundo se hundirá en la guerra
POR: Sem amor, o mundo afundará na guerra
ENG: Without love, the world will sink in war

BG Rampo

Circle of Ossus
Independentista
Independentista
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:33 pm

I've seen people doing fast fortresses with the USA (they get very interesting artillery shipments in III)
As you play treaty (indeed, stop doing that, it renders many abilities useless of certain civs, also the game isn't only focussed for end battles, but also the early game is very important/crucial), this is how I fast fortress: don't use early shipments. You want to send crates when in II (I usually send gold crates so that I can continue hunting and I also don't have to split my villagers on certain resources risking time). As the USA, you might consider sending miners in II (instead of the 600 coin crate). Go to III (preferably use the unionists, depends on the gold/huntables near your base, but usually I find the gold cost of slaves a big annoyance). From then, send troops of III (they arrive in larger quantities than in II !).

I once tried (not against the current AI, but a better one) this, and shipped both Filibuster cards (one of them upgrades them). This army was very fearsome for the early stage of the game; however is does make you very fragile in the first 10 minutes

XavierXante
Guerrillero
Guerrillero
Favorite Civilization: Sioux

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:50 am

101mrniceguy10101 wrote: I really dont understand how to use them effeciently, all thier techs and the like distract me so much so that by the end of a 40 minute treaty I'm barely out of Imperial age.
Im not sure how thier congress works with Union VS Confederate.
I really want to play them well but I struggle to because I cant figure out what to pick
Any help is appreciated thank you
Colour me surprised! They are BEST in 40 min treaty. They have extra technology for each unit and each research, which makes them extremely powerful in late game. Full upgraded Rifle man is almost OP. Even Ashigaru cannot match him. Seriously, 60+ attack, 3x Bonus vs cavalry at range, 18+ Range, 400+ HP.....what else do you need? Not only them, ordinary melee cavalry unit also have high stats. Artillery are quite good. Sharpshooter takes down artillery and infantry. Only if they had permanent stealth like in empire earth!! Gatling gun eats infantry. You have several choices in military.

You're correct. They have too many choices. First try a single player game vs AI to get a hang of it.

In Union, Gatling gun and buffalo soldiers are extremely good. Buffalo soldiers are like Howdahs. They have high stats and added to that, they don't have the pathing issues like Howdahs. gatling gun is extremely good vs infantry and mediocre vs anything else.

In Confederacy, sharpshooter and cavalry corps are extremely good. Sharpshooter has high attack in long range and they have bonus vs heavy infantry and artillery. But they have mediocre HP, so they are vulnerable in short range and melee. Cavalry corps are like mahout but they have higher attack (lower HP) than mahout and they too don't have any pathing issues like mahout.

If you concentrate on booming and required technologies at first and when you have resources then remaining technologies, then it will be good. Else your strategy might break.

Research all economy techs, SOME military techs depending on your strategy, all arsenal techs. Usually you're better off ignoring navy, unless you and enemy are separated by water. Usually, i won't research full upgrades for all units before creating army. I full upgrade only necessary units first. I research remaining upgrades if I have sufficient resources after I created army (touch pop limit).

UPDATE: It totally slipped my mind, but Rifleman have 2.0 ROF instead of 3.0 like other ranged heavy infantry. That means they fire for every two game seconds instead of three.