This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

AlistairJah
Topic Author
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: French

WoL Strategies: Help us build the new AI!

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:33 pm

You think you have found the best strategy for a civ? Or do you want to train yourself with others' build orders? 

This thread is for discussing your favorite strategies with your favorite civs. The best units, techs, cards, build orders, age-up times, whatever you can think of!

The interns will be using this thread to help design the new AI, so be sure to share your ideas so we can keep improving the game!
(fr) Regarde à travers et vois le cygne et ce qui vit au-delà de l'au-delà.

DayoftheNinja
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Zulu
Steam: DayoftheNinja

Re: WoL Strategies: Help us build the new AI!

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:05 am

I don't know anything about AI coding so I have no idea how possible this is, but I always thought it would be cool for the Anglos to have two possible AIs whenever they start the game based on each party, so for example when playing against the USA there's a 50% chance the AI will play as a "Union" player (selecting only Union politicians, focusing on manufacturing, etc.) and a 50% chance they will be a "Confederate" player (selecting only Confederate politicians, using slaves and plantations, etc.). I'd love to see ideas for how those two types of builds for the same civs might work.

AlistairJah
Topic Author
Intern
Intern

Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Hmm, interesting. Sure that's doable. And that would make them less random in their politician choice, as the party is chosen at the very beginning.
Also, it would be interesting to make them use immigrants, faith resource, and maybe pets, as @Dr Roach suggested.

MrMushasii
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:39 pm

I've always had fun building multiple bases. The A.I. seems to try this but places the 2nd hometown right next to the first. If it would be possible I'd like A.I's to place new Town Centers at another spot with plenty of resources.

HrdsHrdrck
Blandengue
Blandengue

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:00 pm

would it also be possible for the Habsburgs to have a deck according to the marriage chosen?

Circle of Ossus
Independentista
Independentista
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:28 pm

HrdsHrdrck wrote: would it also be possible for the Habsburgs to have a deck according to the marriage chosen?
Why would that be useful?
For Alistarj: the Chinese AI plays very well. Just did a game where they spammed troops like I did. The only thing they need are some more techs in their HC, and some more upgrading (like all AI)

AlistairJah
Topic Author
Intern
Intern

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:13 pm

MrMushasii wrote: I've always had fun building multiple bases. The A.I. seems to try this but places the 2nd hometown right next to the first. If it would be possible I'd like A.I's to place new Town Centers at another spot with plenty of resources.
Yep, that's possible. I made some changes to the way they build, so Town Centers have a special treatment.
Circle of Ossus wrote: The only thing they need are some more techs in their HC, and some more upgrading (like all AI)
If I understand correctly, this means the should prefer HC techs over HC shipments? If yes, then a little list should be useful. I'm now working on the unit upgrades for all civs, that should be done before the next patch will be released - at least that's what I hope.

Circle of Ossus
Independentista
Independentista
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:18 pm

That's great that you are looking at the unit upgrades! Mainly the Colombian AI forgets to upgrade his troops I encountered.

AlistairJah
Topic Author
Intern
Intern

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:46 pm

I will try to code everything that might improve the AI. Any other suggestions?

AlistairJah
Topic Author
Intern
Intern

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:34 am

Hey guys, is it wise if I make the AI to take 5 random villagers to pray at temple? The default code for making units to gather resources is not working with faith, I don't know why. Probable issue : conflicts. There is no way to recognize which villagers gather which resource, so the code will probably take some random villagers already working on farms for example, while ignoring those who are idle (if any). Once there are enough faith, I will disable the code and train priests to pray in their turn. Then additional priests should be trained to support armies. What do you think?