This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

carlosbarano
Topic Author
Master Engineer
Master Engineer

Re: serbian fire, why so far from TC?

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:19 am

Circle of Ossus wrote:  
The fire is useless for early aggression,

I admit that a large late-game base can get affected by the fire

but even then you must have a bad defense to make the risky strategy work 

But more importantly, is that the Serbian player loses a lot of time (and a high amount of wood) with it's crops, 
1. Of course, suicide houses in early game is stupid, no one does that, no one talked about that.
2. That is what I say. Fire in mid game is so painful, really.
3. In 1v1 is easy defendible, 1 front, maybe 2 fronts as much so is easy. I have suffered fires in 2v2 and 3v3 games, all bases and defenses aren't enough to stop 4-6 villagers to build 2 houses. It is worth it because you spend 200 wood and 400 food for erasing at least 4 buildings, and slowing the economy a lot by tasking villagers to extnguish fires and replace buildings. 
4. Hey, guess what, many players do not use crops, personally I prefer to go full livestock pen and completing selling gold. Is far easier with livestock than with crops, less multitasking. 

My point is, in age 3, 4, min 25 of the game, in a 2v2, your army is fighting in 1 or 2 fronts, and sudenly you see a little blue spot at your base, a house built from 6 villagers takes nothing to be built, as you said, towers have a hard time to kill villagers (even if you have all 7 in your base), and pum, fire breaks out. Then, you cannot replace your army, economy buildings may not be damaged (villagers are there already), but you loose precious gathering time, wood, and units. Suffer those fires 4 times. Oh, why don't you build a wall? Same thing, 2 houses, wall down. 

You are not thinking about the consecuences of burning houses as an attack, you are just justificating that they are not an attack feature. 

Circle of Ossus
Carabinier
Carabinier
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm

There are many civs who have fire for offensive strategies lategame (all Latins and Malta). So why not Serbia? It could have been a coronel who sneaked in your town. Or even worse: 16 coronel. Imagine them all lighting everything up in the heart of your base. And they don't suffer from the TC no build zone. I think that the cost should still be lower in the early game, to actually use it for defending.

Dr Roach
Bacamartier
Bacamartier

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:30 pm

The reason why you can't build too close to the enemy base, and why towers have a large malus vs villies, is because the original developers wanted to prevent a recurrence of tower rushing. Something I wish they hadn't done, personally- buildings are way squishier in this game than AGE2, and it's even a bit accurate.

Dr Roach
Bacamartier
Bacamartier

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Why doesn't someone play against a Serbian, and record the replay, to gauge if it's really that good of a strategy?

carlosbarano
Topic Author
Master Engineer
Master Engineer

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:24 pm

Circle of Ossus wrote: There are many civs who have fire for offensive strategies lategame (all Latins and Malta). So why not Serbia?

It could have been a coronel who sneaked in your town. Or even worse: 16 coronel. 
1. Because Serbia's description refers to a defensive feature, not an attack one.
2. In the last year of online matches (you can check the google polls), no one no one has used colonels anymore (they are too bad xD die quickly, too expensive). 
Dr Roach wrote: Why doesn't someone play against a Serbian, and record the replay, to gauge if it's really that good of a strategy?
I will try this week to the same to another player. If they accept me to play with Serbia... 

The point is, burning houses offensive is really really OP in ages 3, 4. 

What is wrong with making house be built only near the TC?

Can this be tested in order for a future patch? 

Circle of Ossus
Carabinier
Carabinier
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:37 am

The reason why I find it wrong to make these houses only be build near a TC, is because you must be in a terrible position if you have to use this ability (I mean, a HUGE army comes towards you, that big you are screwed and have to lit you buildings, and let some of the others also die). I admit I haven't played a lot against Serbia players (once tbh), and he rushed me (I was Serbia too), and no one used the fire. I now don't even consider litting my buildings for defence: the fire has been nerfed in power (I think, last time I used it it seemed very ineffective). Maybe I should place some of the weaker buildings further from my TC to limit collateral damage?

carlosbarano
Topic Author
Master Engineer
Master Engineer

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Haven't you think abour military bases? All good players make a forward military base for rapid troop replacement, so if things go wrong, you can burn the base down, and still you keep your home safe, and the enemy army in flames. I think this is the TRUE use of the Serbian fire; not to fill enemy base with houses and burn all down easily. 

Houses near to TC is just a safe, to make sure people don't use it as an offensive tool, just as before people deleted Colombian houses to have an army of 1hitpoint soldiers, still OP. Or Canadians deleting for wood. 

Dr Roach
Bacamartier
Bacamartier

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:25 pm

Well, why not play against a Serbian player and post the replay so that we can analyze why you lost- and how you could beat them.

carlosbarano
Topic Author
Master Engineer
Master Engineer

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:22 pm

I haven't seen anyone willing to use Serbia this week, do you have Game Ranger?

Mandalore_Vlad
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Germans
ESO: Mandalore_Vlad

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:52 am

carlosbarano wrote: I haven't seen anyone willing to use Serbia this week, do you have Game Ranger?
If you know marduk, tell him, I would tell you to talk to Atlas but he is not xd
Mas vale un vivo que un muerto...Morir por los tuyos es un gran sacrificio pero vivir por ellos es un sacrificio aun mayor