This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

carlosbarano
Topic Author
Bacamartier
Bacamartier

serbian fire, why so far from TC?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:51 am

just played 2 matches (balkan wars) and serbia player just built lots of houses near my base, and the fire came to me, all. i rebuilt a lot, made walls, had army in the town, and nothing could stop him. he just spends 4 villagers and 200 wood, i have to expend tons of wood in reconstruction and food for the fallen villagers and soldiers. 

i read the description, and said that the serbians set fire to their base and deny the enemy the destruction xp bounty, so it is meant to be an attack tool? 

why russian speed antibonus is a defense bonus, and llanero pig bonus has a limit, but serbian fire is an attack one? please modders let me know how is this meant to be. thanks :) 

PS: serbian houses should only be built near a town center. 
*Dos errores no hacen un acierto.
**Si tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? Si no tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? :)

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Re: serbian fire, why so far from TC?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:58 am

Couldn't you put out the fire with villagers?

carlosbarano
Topic Author
Bacamartier
Bacamartier

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:05 am

yes, but that is not the point.

i tought serbian fires were a defensive bonus, not an attack one. i consider not fair that the enemy builds 2 houses with 4 villagers, and my base end up destroyed, one time, and again, and again and again. the fire is so quick my villagers cannot arrive in time. some others die becuase of too much fires. 

the economy is destroyed, all wood is consumed rebuilding. 

is so easy to burn enemy base, economy, and win like that. few resources need from serbia to do all that. 

so, is it a bad idea that serbian houses, just houses, can be only build near a town center? 

**Si tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? Si no tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? :)

ANCANEITOR
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Egyptians

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:56 am

You know... he was kind of risky doing that and it's a very bizarre strategy, imagine the sacrifice he had to do in other aspects in order to do that. Serbian houses urning is indeed a defensive bonus but you experienced a very rare use of it on the offensive.
"Cuanto de mejor natural es un carácter, peor es el resultado de su corrupción" -Platón
"The better nature a character has, the worse the result of it`s corruption." -Plato

carlosbarano
Topic Author
Bacamartier
Bacamartier

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:48 pm

no, the resources used for that strategy: 4 villagers + wood for 2 houses. the enemy (me) at least lost 1k wood and resource gathering, tasking 10 villagers to take down those fires and rebuilding asap. 

i find serbian the fire an extremely offensive bonus. i wont play against serbians again, for now. 

Dr Roach
Gaucho
Gaucho

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:03 pm

Just advance faster then they can, which you will be able to, and send a military shipment. Just make sure you save a shipment. Besides, I don't think it will spread that far, that fast if you build away from wood, thought that's not possible on every map.

Mandalore_Vlad
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Germans
ESO: Mandalore_Vlad

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:54 am

ANCANEITOR wrote: You know... he was kind of risky doing that and it's a very bizarre strategy, imagine the sacrifice he had to do in other aspects in order to do that. Serbian houses urning is indeed a defensive bonus but you experienced a very rare use of it on the offensive.
I would not say that it is bizarre or very defensive, in the online games usually use that tactic Serb players
Mas vale un vivo que un muerto...Morir por los tuyos es un gran sacrificio pero vivir por ellos es un sacrificio aun mayor

Dr Roach
Gaucho
Gaucho

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:17 am

Well, if it becomes a problem, a good fix would be to only allow it within a certain range of a TC or fort.

carlosbarano
Topic Author
Bacamartier
Bacamartier

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:37 pm

Dr Roach wrote: Well, if it becomes a problem, a good fix would be to only allow it within a certain range of a TC or fort.
That is what I ask for, beg, please. 
Serbian fire is tooooooo powerful for serbian, build 2 houses near enemy base, delete house, repeat 2 times more, enemy base, troop supply, and economy finished. 

Can the Mod team please put their opinion about this? Or make a poll about serbian fire. Please remember the bonus description: 
  • Lit Up: If things go bad, Serbians can burn their own buildings, hopefully damaging the enemy with the flames, as well as denying them any bounty they may have gotten from them.
So here it is clearly a defensive bonus, not an attack one. Meant to delete base and hurt enemy, not to build houses and burn enemy base city.

Would be better to only build serbian houses near their town centers and forts as @Dr Roach said. Thanks :) 

Circle of Ossus
Blandengue
Blandengue
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:39 am

I totally disagree with you. Serbian fire is even underpowered now imo. I don't know, but it seemed that fire now spreads even less than in 1.8, which makes it almost useless. It also costs too much. Imagine you want to defend yourself against troops when 10 minutes ingame. You spend at least 100 wood for fire, another at least 100 wood of the building you are lighting up. You hope then that 1. the enemy is stupid enough to walk in it (coughcough only ai's do that) 2. that the fire does not harm your troops or villagers or more buildings. The fire is useless for early aggression, as it costs a lot, does not spread as much, and is limited in range because you cannot build close to TC. I admit that a large late-game base can get affected by the fire, but even then you must have a bad defense to make the risky strategy work (although I find it weird why towers have a large penalty against vils). But more importantly, is that the Serbian player loses a lot of time (and a high amount of wood) with it's crops, thus the fire can be a little bonus to relieve that painful mechanic.
Another annoying thing about the fire, is that you earn 0 XP from kills.
If I had to suggest something, then it is a scaling cost for the fire (like  I: 25 II: 50 III: 75 IV: 100 V: 150 )