This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

XavierXante
Topic Author
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Re: Wars of liberty - some balance issues

Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Jutlander wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:48 pm
Don't ever do quadruple post again (nor double nor triple post)
Wait, what? .....
Oops...yeah I did it. Sorry. Is it against the forum rules?

Jutlander
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Polish

Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Of course it is.

Pepp
Struggle of Indonesia Team
Favorite Civilization: Indonesians

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 am

ROF is mostly not a matter of realism, rather a matter of balance. If archaic ranged infantries has the ROF of 2.2 (as you suggest to decrease it by 0.7), it can be easily countered by both the stronger gunpowder trooper and melee infantries, rendering it useless in the game.

XavierXante
Topic Author
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:20 pm

Pepp wrote: ROF is mostly not a matter of realism, rather a matter of balance. If archaic ranged infantries has the ROF of 2.2 (as you suggest to decrease it by 0.7), it can be easily countered by both the stronger gunpowder trooper and melee infantries, rendering it useless in the game.
Sorry for the late reply.
It seems like you misunderstood me. I said in my previous quote to decrease the value of ROF of melee heavy infantry like halberdiers to 0.7 (not by 0.7). And I couldn't understand your second statement. If archaic ranged infantries have ROF of 2.2 instead of 3. then they will fire faster which is an advantage.isn't it?

OR did you mean to say to change ROF of archaic infantry from 1.5 to 2.2? I didn't suggest that!

Woah! What a huge misunderstanding!!

When I said decrease ROF, I meant to decrease the value of ROF. Not literally decrease the rate of fire.
If a unit has less ROF value then it fires faster. A unit having 1.5 ROF fires twice as fast as a unit having 3 ROF.

I'll edit my first quote to avoid misunderstandings!!!

Pepp
Favorite Civilization: Indonesians

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Why is this guy angry?

But yeah, that makes everything clear. The archaic units having ROF of 1.5 while gunpowder trooper 3.0 are like that due to balancing reason. You never know how over powered 0.7 ROF is.

In SoI we had a unit named bumiputra with such ROF, it counters virtually anything. And stop thinking that guys with different color are genuinely stupid, they have mod for at least one to two years of their life (I got this impression from you and many other, actually...).

Dr Roach
Gaucho
Gaucho

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Also, it is actually more realistic that elephants move only a little slower than cavalry- elephants can and do move frickin' fast when they're pissed off. The whole "slow lumbering elephant" idea is just something from video games.

XavierXante
Topic Author
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Pepp wrote:
Why is this guy angry?
I'm not angry. Do I seem like that?
Pepp wrote:
And stop thinking that guys with different color are genuinely stupid, they have mod for at least one to two years of their life (I got this impression from you and many other, actually...).
Different color? What do you mean by that?

I'm quite ordinary looking person. I'm not some fair blonde bishonen.

I don't even know any of you in person to judge you, in the first place. I'm just trying to convey my opinions. I never meant to offend anyone.

Circle of Ossus
Blandengue
Blandengue
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 am

I can explain to you why you looked angry: angry peopel tend to use a bigger font size, caps, bold words and exclamation marks.
OR did you mean to say to change ROF of archaic infantry from 1.5 to 2.2? I didn't suggest that! 
It appears you did all of this in this one sentence.

Maxyking25
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Swiss
ESO: Maxy147
Steam: Evil Morty

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Why you guys discuss that here?...

XavierXante
Topic Author
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Circle of Ossus wrote: I can explain to you why you looked angry: angry peopel tend to use a bigger font size, caps, bold words and exclamation marks.
OR did you mean to say to change ROF of archaic infantry from 1.5 to 2.2? I didn't suggest that! 
It appears you did all of this in this one sentence.
Sssshhhh....*sighs*

I was not angry. Actually I save my comments on MS word. That one time I accidentally pressed F5 while I was typing, so every thing I typed was gone. So I copied and pasted from MS word and forgot to readjust the font size.

Why would I be angry for stats misunderstandings? If I was really angry then the comments would be littered with curses and abuse words, which of course would cause my expulsion, but honestly I wouldn't care, as I can create another account to tro...errr...post in this forum.