This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Ore wa Shirohige da!
Topic Author
Architect
Architect
Favorite Civilization: Italians

Hasburgs troops

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:57 pm

Hi, I've got a question: don't you guys think doppelsoldner and demicannon are a little overpower? Because a single demicannon can destroy an outpost in one shot (and it's not the only artillery that can do that), while a single doppelsoldner can easily kill a small group of any kind of cavalry, and also has over 200 of siege attack, which is ridiculously high. I undestand that they are kind of "special" landknescht, but 945 HP for an infantry is really really high. Sorry for language mistake. 

HrdsHrdrck
Lassador
Lassador

Re: Hasburgs troops

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:51 am

But doppelsoldner cost 4 population, look at them like 4 units with 240hp and 50 siege damage each one.

The same with demicannon, cost 10 population, instead of creating 5 mortars you can only create 2 demis

Ore wa Shirohige da!
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:28 am

2 demicannons are much much better than 5 mortar, it kils an outpost with one shot a fort in 4 shots. That's not a normal thing. Plus, I know doppelsoldners cost 4 pop. and are good as 4 units with 240 HP and 50 siege, but you can't think that way. It's not the same thing, because a single one will kill all of those 4 units, and then you can easily heal him. There are many troops which are "created" with a very high siege attack and low ranged/hand attack, because their main purpose is to destroy buildings, and they still do less damage than doppelsoldner, which have 258 attack against cavalry and 172 against light infantry. Thus you can easily kill every kind of light infantry in 5/6 seconds and most cavalry in no more than 4/5 attacks, meanwhile he could have lost no more than half HP.

HrdsHrdrck
Lassador
Lassador

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:34 pm

But the doppelsoldner is weaker against skirmishers than other pike-like units. Since it is more difficult to attack scattered shooters with 1 soldier than with 4

Equal is bad against cannons, damage area will affect more units in your army.

About the demicannons takes into account that if the artillery enters melee combat is paralyzed, also, it is easier to attack 2 cannons than 5, and the mortar has more range

I'm not sure but I remember that 3 imperial howitzers can destroy a outpost from a single shot.

And above all, do not forget the high price and they are mercenaries.

You can create spies because are counter

Ore wa Shirohige da!
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:19 pm

Every cannon has a area attack, doesn't mean nothing. Also, even with the weakness against skirmisher, a single doppelsoldner is still too strong. Remember it has 945 HP, I don't think a pair of skirmisher will kill it. Mortars are extremely slow, you can easily destroy them, and you said that 3 mortars can destroy a single outpost, not 1 mortar. Using spies against a such strong artillery is ridicoulous, you'll have to spend a lot of resources for a spy which can be easily kill in one shot. I understand those troops have weakness, but those are really really irrelevant against those troops' strenght. I'd would be happy if someone tells me why a landknescht has 450 HP and a doppelsodner has double.

HrdsHrdrck
Lassador
Lassador

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:39 pm

Every cannon has a area attack, doesn't mean nothing.
yes, Yes, but if you have 5 units together and if a cannon attacks all 5 will be affected, but if you have 10 or 20 only 6-7 they will be damaged.
even with the weakness against skirmisher, a single doppelsoldner is still too strong. Remember it has 945 HP, I don't think a pair of skirmisher will kill it
But you are not going to create only 2 skirmishers, with 5 you can beat 2 doppelsodner, but of course, if you keep them in a single formation and do not move them you will destroy them.
Mortars are extremely slow, you can easily destroy them, and you said that 3 mortars can destroy a single outpost, not 1 mortar.
And the demi is not slow?, an advantage that mortars have is that they have a lot more range, that helps them take a more secure position, also the cavalry has to move more distance to attack them, which gives them some time to escape and That other units come to support them.
And it is true, 3 mortars can destroy an outpost, not 1, but 3 mortars cost almost the same population as a single demi
Using spies against a such strong artillery is ridicoulous, you'll have to spend a lot of resources for a spy which can be easily kill in one shot. I understand those troops have weakness, but those are really really irrelevant against those troops' strenght.
You do not need to use spies against cannons, any heavy cavalry already does a good job, but against everything else they are very useful.
I'd would be happy if someone tells me why a landknescht has 450 HP and a doppelsodner has double.
Because they cost double the population and double the resources

Ore wa Shirohige da!
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:00 pm

A doppelsoldner cost double gold, but against 2 landsknecht the doppelsoldner wins. I'll understand if it has 700/800 HP and 60/70 attack, not much less, just enough to be more balanced. The same with demicannons  and similar, they have a little much attack, I mean maybe not 1000 but 700/800. If a troop cost that much and take that pop, it must be very strong, I just think they should have litlle less power compared to other unit.

HrdsHrdrck
Lassador
Lassador

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:39 pm

Doppelsoldner wins for:

1.- area damage, if you face a landksnecht against a single unit your area damage is wasted, maybe if you face 10 landsk vs 5 doppel the distance would shorten
2.- is an unit of capital age: naturally, late units always have better stats.

I think that the units of the Habsburgs are balanced, only they have some spectacular stats, but still the stats do not mean everything

Ore wa Shirohige da!
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:53 am

In your opinion, what is more important than stats?

HrdsHrdrck
Lassador
Lassador

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:29 pm

1.- population
2.- cost (and your economic capacity to cover these)
3.- versatility
4.- how can it be countered

I do not say that they are more important than the stats, but all that matters