This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Dr Roach
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

African Bowmen and Askari

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:02 pm

Why would you ever want to train askari over bowmen as the Africans? Bowmen have an amazing rate of fire, deal quite a bit of damage for a skirmisher, more than the askari, and have insane range in the later ages. They're dirt cheap too. The only negative is that they are really squishy (but then, so are the askari) and that they cost wood instead of coin, the former of which starts to run out in the late game. Even Ethiopian askari are worse than their bowman

In the scenario editor, a bowman beats an askari 1 on 1 even if the askari fires the first shot

In addition, the only civ I would say has reason to train askaris is the Italians, of all things- they get a card which lets their explorer train askaris in the second age, which are a lot less squishy than their ordinary infantry.

Circle of Ossus
Voluntário da Pátria
Voluntário da Pátria
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Re: African Bowmen and Askari

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:43 am

I also found the Askari terrible. During my first game with Ethiopia, I had build some, and I quicly found out that they were useless compared to the other units.

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:52 pm

If you use all upgrades, you will find that askaris actually deal more damage against heavy inf while the bowman is a light infantry that can kill all ranged units and hand infantry. Many civs including egypt and zulus have the capabilities of increasing multipliers against heavy inf making it 3 or 3.5, much stronger than the bowman's 1.3 multiplier that cannot be upgraded. Also, they are more late game if anything since wood for all civs except ethiopia (with the factory) is tough to come by. Askari's start subpar, but can be improved through many techs.

Ramtha
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest
Favorite Civilization: Paraguayans
Steam: Ramtha

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Maybe in late game the askari is better, but if you see the bowman is more cost-effective than the askari.

XavierXante
Roto
Roto

Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:27 pm

For zulu, rather than askari or bowmen, I usually create ishikulus from impis and mountain cannons. They are more than enough. Man I still feel the phantom aches in my fingers.

Askari for egyptians is good when compared with bowmen because of multlipliers. But bowmen have extremely good range, so I personally prefer bowmen.