This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

daMarshal
Topic Author
Roto
Roto
Favorite Civilization: British

Organized Armies

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:19 pm

I don't know if I'm the only one who does this, but does anyone else try to make an organized/disciplined army? The way how I set up my armies varies somewhat depending on the civ that I'm playing as. For example when playing as the British my army for them usually consists of 18 cavalry, 24-30 infantry x2, and between 4-6 guns. I've found that this set up works pretty good.

So for those who try to make organized/disciplined armies, what does your army setup look like?
Last edited by daMarshal on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle

HrdsHrdrck
Blandengue
Blandengue

Re: Organized Armies

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:08 am

When playing with the Bulgarians, I usually use 30-35 opalchenets with 3 vovoids, 10-12 schwarzlose and 6-7 schnaiders, is slow but steady.

With Mexicans I don't have an exact number but my army is usually 4/10 insurgentes for the siege, 2/10 soldaderas to heal and complement and 4/10 lanceros with the improvements of the metropolis to beat everything

With the habsburg i use 6 saker, 6 hussar and the rest of pandurs, Another way is half grenzer half doppelsoldner

I don't remember having a specific army with any other civilization

daMarshal
Topic Author
Roto
Roto
Favorite Civilization: British

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:13 pm

I haven't really played the Balkan civs a whole lot, but that sounds like a good combo. The Mexicans I usually build an army of 32 conscripts or carbineers x2, 20-24 lanceros or jinetes, and a few guns. Or I just train a lot of insurgentes, soldaderas, and outlaws to harass villagers.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle

XavierXante
Master Engineer
Master Engineer
Favorite Civilization: Sioux

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 pm

daMarshal wrote:  I don't know if I'm the only one who does this, but does anyone else try to make an organized/disciplined army? The way how I set up my armies varies somewhat depending on the civ that I'm playing as. For example when playing as the British my army for them usually consists of 18 cavalry, 24-30 infantry x2, and between 4-6 guns. I've found that this set up works pretty good.

So for those who try to make organized/disciplined armies, what does your army setup look like?
I hope you're talking about late game, like in treaty/no rush games. Because usually rushes or FF concentrate on single or two types of units. if it is so, then it is case by case analysis. There are some general combos that usually don't fail.

If I'm playing with mapuche, usually my army will be like:

1) 20-25 Trangelaf + 20-25 Waikilaf + 15-20 Tralkatufe + 20-25 Malon
Trangelaf will take care of all infantry, waikilaf will take care of all cavalry, Tralkatufe will take care of remaining infantry and light cavalry and malon are for countering artillery and torching. Malon are like ophrincks. So they have attack bonus vs villagers and have high siege attack. This requires lot of micro management as 3 parts of your army are infantry, they are vulnerable to artillery.

2) 20 Malalkawuello + 20 Winitufe + 10-15 malon
Malalkawuello  are like dog soldiers, which take care of almost all infantry and artillery and winitufe are quite powerful ranged cavalry, which take care of artillery and cavalry. Except when you're vs civilisations like aztecs, this combo works quite well, but not as well as first combo. But this combo requires least micro management.

You can add in units like Mawidanche or you can even mix infantry and cavalry. In the end it is completely dependent on situation and your choice.

Even when you reach pop limit you can send military cards like '7 Malalkawuello' and you can send ALL the cards(not restricted to 25) for mapuche. You can easily amass 300+ pop in treaty or no rush games.