This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Darwin_
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

LA Politicians

Fri May 03, 2019 1:27 pm

After playing quite a bit on the AI and trying out build orders, I felt the question had to be asked, why would you ever choose one of the slower age up options when playing as a LA civ? Most of the LA civs, except for maybe Colombia, only need to train an extra villager to gather the additional 200 food needed for the 1000 food politician, which combined with the research time reduction means you age at least 35 seconds faster and with an additional villager. Granted you have less time to gather resources in transition to colonial, but the extra villager trained in discovery, the earlier first colonial shipment, and additional 1-2 villagers trained in early colonial compensate, meaning that (I haven't done the math so I am going off of purely comparative logic) you end up with about the same number of resources as you would by the time you would hit up with a slow age, and more resources as the game goes on as you have 2-3 more villagers.

Provided what I have said is not untrue for some reason I have failed to see, why, then, would you ever want to use one of the slower, cheaper, age up options as an LA civ? Same goes for the later ages as well.

DavidIbragimov
Blandengue
Blandengue
Favorite Civilization: Zulu

Re: LA Politicians

Fri May 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Not an expert, but maybe while the cheap but longer age up is going, you could be getting some economical growth while the age up comes in. Instead of getting expensive age up, save that food/coin for Work and Military Units. Also most long age ups are no longer than 3 minutes (kinda long) but allow you to fastly militarize next age.
"Once you go Zulu you never go back."

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Re: LA Politicians

Fri May 03, 2019 2:47 pm

They are pretty "noob traps" (in age 1 at least), yes. I've never tried aging up asap like you propose. Usually, I just gather up and make vils until I can click the fastest age up. You will still be quicker than when you try the 800f option, and you will have more vils. For the later age ups, I tend to go with second age up, as I usually need the resources to fight enemies.
I don't believe that there is a good way to make them more equal. The fastest age ups to II tend to give less useful bonuses.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612