This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

DavidIbragimov
Topic Author
Gaucho
Gaucho
Favorite Civilization: Dutch

Zulu Unbalanced.....

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:13 pm

So, tried playing with, liked them, but found a few things that confused me....

1.   When playing, with them, I was not able to find a way to upgrade the soldiers, which put me at a big disadvantage.

2.    I know that the Matriarchs are spawners for youth, but if they cost 400 food,(which is ALOT early game), are they able to do any other special abilities?

3.    I feel like my units are very squishy, when fighting against the Ottomans, the only unit that could do effective damage was the the age 4 big cannons. Could there plz be a either a small attack or HP buff for the units?

4.    Can the tradesman plz have abilities to work just like regular workers, or have some gathering ability other than the spice stalls?

5.   The spies, when invisible, are still able to fight the enemy, and the enemy can fight back! But the spies are immune and never lose any life. Plz either make them unable to directly fight when in stealth, or make them lose life if under fire, because it was ridiculous!
(#5 is the one that concerns me the most)

6.    (Update) 
        Can their be more cards that are made to upgrade units and workers (Also get free porters) ?
Bank Boom Baby!

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Re: Zulu Unbalanced.....

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:38 pm

1. Upgrades appear in the houses (Ilkanda).
2. They are expensive, but the investment has very good return. Think about like this: you don't have to pay for second barracks etc. You don't even need a kraal early. Those costs go to matriarchs. I have the feeling that they cost 50 food too much.
3. Get the double spawn card. It's a must as the Zulu. Aren't impi also rather good against deli and janisaries? In age 4, Ishukulu (the unit Impi can transform in to) are very powerful.
4. You mean: you want them to become better at spice stalls XD You need the export anyway for the Ishukulu.
5. Every spy can do that. Recently I discovered the hard way that TC no longer reveal stealth (will be reverted). I think other spies, explorers and trosses reveal spies now. BUT the AI is too stupid to know that.
6. More cards may become available later, with the ambassador rework. One of them has now very few cards. But of all civs, the Zulu are probably the civ that benefit the least from gathering techs. They have indeed very few military upgrade techs. We will see if it will stay like that.

Anyway, they are an intense, hard but very rewarding civ to play with. They are one of the best. This makes it however a bit difficult to balance out: if you make them even stronger, then maybe the casual players will be able to play decently with them, but then the pro-players can turn of them into an absolute monster.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

DavidIbragimov
Topic Author
Gaucho
Gaucho
Favorite Civilization: Dutch

Re: Zulu Unbalanced.....

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:09 pm

Right....thanks......
#1- Maybe its the fact that on units, even if upgraded, do not have a name difference. Like for other nations, their soldiers will become "Veterans", "Brave", "Honored" etc.. It just throws me off, and I think is kind of unfair advantage when the enemy doesn't ever know what level my units are. I would personally be triggered if someone playing as the Zulu would beat my entire army with their so seeming "basic" army.

#3- Is this card available in buildings or does it come from cards? If cards, where will I be able to find it?

#4- Well I mean its just that they are tradesman. If you think about it, they are the African version of the German Settler wagons, and IDk......before the spice stalls are up, I find them pretty useless. Its just that if a tradesman can go a-looting, I think he should maybe be able to pick some other resource then export. Just my opinion

-David
Bank Boom Baby!