This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Old Forum User
Topic Author
Huampelen
Huampelen

General Balance by nysion

Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Just a thread I thought I'd start, based on a lack of such a thing. The purpose is mainly to point out over/underpowered units, building, techs and the like.

To start off, I would like to mention that the Australian Native Police seem too powerful considering they cost one population.
Comparing them to similar units such as the Hussar or just the Anglophone Light Calvary, the cost to stat ratio seems reasonable as they are a little stronger for the extra cost. However, as a late-game unit when resource gathering isn't as much of an issue, the half population compared to most hand cavalry is incredibly strong.

Jutlander
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Polish

Re: General Balance

Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Yup, sadly, you can't talk about unit stats without talking about, well, the civilizaiton itself.
Have you looked at the Australian economy by the time you get to make a Native Police unit?

Also, good idea on this thread, let's get this going :P

Circle of Ossus
Lassador
Lassador
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Re: General Balance by nysion

Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:22 pm

I want to mention how wood-heavy a Balkan economy is. Building beehives for 10 villagers costs 200 wood more than one plantation. Not that of a problem, but the crops become a nightmare: they are very wood intensive on the long run, and makes you extremely vulnerable while also demanding a lot of micro. If you want to protect your villagers working on them, you will have to build more walls than most civs have to (and walls are a lot more expensive than in vanilla). On top of that, you are stuck with 7 towers to defend a larger territory due to these crops. While you can save a bit of wood when upgrading troops, you still have to pay for troops you don't want to upgrade (macemen...). What about an imperial tech, costing lots of food, making crops better very late game?

As I posted in opion: civilization, I also think the native police is ok (the whaler horse isn't)