This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Wrhatalos
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Italians

Italy Tactics

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:29 am

Hello all,
What is your tactics when you play with Italy?
I usually attack in the imperial age with 20 camorristas, 15 imperial bombardiers, and two group of 15 of imperial papal guard/imperial bersagliere/imperial alpino, depending of the enemy units. i reserch the hospital tecnology to have 15 more pop, send advanced arsenal to make my regular units better, and use two forts with walls to defend myself untill the late game.
The 20 spies are created via the second age shipmente and the godfather from the imperial age, so i have them free. Also i usally send the churc wagon and the card to speed up infantry production.
I'm trying a marine tactics, too combining the cards that reduce fishing boats cost and make them some sort of houses.

MarceloNero
Paisano
Paisano

Re: Italy Tactics

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:14 pm

usually I play on the defensive until I fully update the Camorristas, then I go up with Camorristas + Horse Artillery + Regular

usually I lose before it gets strong, but I play badly. Maybe he's wearing the wrong strategy, I do not know.

Stealth
Lassador
Lassador
ESO: RickRuler
Steam: Davinci

Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:50 pm

I think you are doing fine with what you describe.  For me it depends on the enemy civ I am facing. If it's the Habsburgs you can destroy them with only spies and mafiosos. It would be hard for a good player to lose the Habsburgs using the Italians. The same almost goes for the native and african civs, they have one explorer who usually will run into your units. When he does, I trap him by building mines around him. Whenever he decides to wake up he steps on a mine, dies and remains useless. While he is down, you can march right into an enemy colony with Spies and Camorisitas and finish the game.  Against alot of other civs, I can use large groups of Alpinos, Bersagliere with alot of buildings around them and for the most part they will withstand any enemy invasion. Artillery works great against enemy infantry as well.  All the Italian units counter well, so if I am getting hit by a lot of cavalry, I will use Halbreiders and Dragoons to stop the attack and it does work for the most part. Italian infantry is weak in hit points and attack but redshirts have good attack and elmeti have alot of hp. I always use redshirts, elmeti sometimes but they cost 4 pop. I usally will include at least 5 but sometimes many more priests, I have used as many as 25 to try to boost the attack of the units. Your military can win vs most of the civs on here, you just need loads of them, recruit units and send them in shipments, but get alot of them and you will be fine. Whenever you are facing a civ that obviously has stronger military units than you, you have to use Camarisitas.  The Americans and the Dutch are probably the hardest civs for the Italians on here because their units are strong and they have a million fur traders, envoys and explorer dogs. I try to send spies to the back of their colony and burn their buildings, it does deter them from attacking you giving you a chance to get strong early. It took time to be able to win against them but I have it down most of the time.  Use your statues in front of your colony early against any European and Anglo civ because they will try to place forts and military buildings close to you.  Walls also help too, some people think using walls or petards isn't fair but why have them available if you can't use them.    
I am too old for games like this but too young to resist playing them

Wrhatalos
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:17 pm

MarceloNero wrote: usually I play on the defensive until I fully update the Camorristas, then I go up with Camorristas + Horse Artillery + Regular

usually I lose before it gets strong, but I play badly. Maybe he's wearing the wrong strategy, I do not know.
15 horse artillery and 20 camorristas is one of the tactics i have used for some times, but this usually exposes to a counter cavallery attack from behind. From what i have learned, the granatiers can fit a better role for the siege and to counter faction that invest in cavallery papal guard and bersaglieri or alpini should make fine for the ranged damage, considering you also have granadiers and mafiosos.
Maybe your problem is an economy problem, i usually get to the imperial age at the 30 minutes, with second age at 4, third at 10 and industrial at 20. Have you tried to learn better economy tactics?

Wrhatalos
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:21 pm

Stealth wrote: I think you are doing fine with what you describe.  For me it depends on the enemy civ I am facing. If it's the Habsburgs you can destroy them with only spies and mafiosos. It would be hard for a good player to lose the Habsburgs using the Italians. The same almost goes for the native and african civs, they have one explorer who usually will run into your units. When he does, I trap him by building mines around him. Whenever he decides to wake up he steps on a mine, dies and remains useless. While he is down, you can march right into an enemy colony with Spies and Camorisitas and finish the game.  Against alot of other civs, I can use large groups of Alpinos, Bersagliere with alot of buildings around them and for the most part they will withstand any enemy invasion. Artillery works great against enemy infantry as well.  All the Italian units counter well, so if I am getting hit by a lot of cavalry, I will use Halbreiders and Dragoons to stop the attack and it does work for the most part. Italian infantry is weak in hit points and attack but redshirts have good attack and elmeti have alot of hp. I always use redshirts, elmeti sometimes but they cost 4 pop. I usally will include at least 5 but sometimes many more priests, I have used as many as 25 to try to boost the attack of the units. Your military can win vs most of the civs on here, you just need loads of them, recruit units and send them in shipments, but get alot of them and you will be fine. Whenever you are facing a civ that obviously has stronger military units than you, you have to use Camarisitas.  The Americans and the Dutch are probably the hardest civs for the Italians on here because their units are strong and they have a million fur traders, envoys and explorer dogs. I try to send spies to the back of their colony and burn their buildings, it does deter them from attacking you giving you a chance to get strong early. It took time to be able to win against them but I have it down most of the time.  Use your statues in front of your colony early against any European and Anglo civ because they will try to place forts and military buildings close to you.  Walls also help too, some people think using walls or petards isn't fair but why have them available if you can't use them.    
I remember a game versus portugese with their damned very long range skirmisher that can destroy artillery from safe distance. Also i like the trolling tactics of the mines near the explorer and the petards to destroy enemy fort. I think walls are one of the beast bildings for italians because can get much value from their long-ranged low-hp regular units. Thanks for all the hints!

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans
ESO: UnStopStreletsy
Steam: UnstoppableStreletsy

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:16 pm

With Italy, the pastabilities are endless. This civ plays a better ranged game than close combat one, so try to use hit and run tactics when possible. You should focus on wood cutting to afford more wagons upfront and control the map much quicker than your opponents can building the conventional way. Keeping cammoristas alive is in your best interest to get the gold back that you paid for them through the trickle. If you must go into hand, the royal guard halberds will serve you well along with hussars that can reach their targets a little quicker than other europeans.