This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

ThatRussianYouKnow
Topic Author
Paisano
Paisano

Usefulness of Romanian infantry

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:51 pm

Alright, so the purpose is a bit vague on Romanian infantry units. The Maceman is pretty straight-forward, designed to be a cheap pikeman-like unit with an area attack and high siege damage. Their Dorobant too is also straight-forward, being a Musketeer who sacrifices hitpoints for damage-dealing capabilities. But the Vanator and Hadjuk throw me off in that the Hadjuk is only good against light cavalry and the Vanator would be a good unit if not for the fact that so many multipliers take away the Vanator's fighting potential. This leaves Romania with no skirmishers and I end up having to rely on ranged cavalry and artillery to combat heavy infantry, Stradiots for light infantry, and Dorobants, Macmen, or ranged cavalry to counter other cavalry. Is Romania doomed to have poor skirmishers or is there a tactic I am not seeing with them?

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Re: Usefulness of Romanian infantry

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:41 am

ThatRussianYouKnow wrote: But the Vanator and Hadjuk throw me off in that the Hadjuk is only good against light cavalry
why people? why?

the hussars are good against light infantry not because they have multipliers, they are good for their speed and stats, the hajduk (and other ranger-like units) are good against heavy infantry not for the multipliers but for the range and cost-benefit.
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

ThatRussianYouKnow
Topic Author
Paisano
Paisano

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:58 pm

HrdsHrdrck wrote:
ThatRussianYouKnow wrote: But the Vanator and Hadjuk throw me off in that the Hadjuk is only good against light cavalry
why people? why?

the hussars are good against light infantry not because they have multipliers, they are good for their speed and stats, the hajduk (and other ranger-like units) are good against heavy infantry not for the multipliers but for the range and cost-benefit.
But the Vanator has more range and hitpoints than the Hadjuk so therefore wouldn't that make the Vanator a better skirmisher than the Hadjuk? Plus what about the Vanator's 0.5 and 0.4 multipliers to unit types such as light infantry, heavy infantry, heavy cavalry, and light cavalry? Wouldn't that make it weaker than the Hadjuk in terms of damage capabilities?

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:34 pm

Yes, it's an age 2 unit...
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:43 pm

The anomaly is known. The devs are showing interest in fixing this, fortunately. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1747
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

ThatRussianYouKnow
Topic Author
Paisano
Paisano

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:38 am

Circle of Ossus wrote: The anomaly is known. The devs are showing interest in fixing this, fortunately. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1747
So they know about the Vanator's weird multipliers against other units? Because I am confused as to how they factor into the Vantor's damage. In theory it would be the ideal heavy infantry killer but all of it's added bonuses that mitigate it's damage make the Vanator hard to use. I am wondering if opting for the Monstrous Coalition card would benefit me more than trying to use the Vanator.