This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

JohnReese
Topic Author
Architect
Architect
Favorite Civilization: Chinese

Re: Mapuche Op

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:45 am

Hoop Thrower wrote: What's up with singling out koreans as a special case for etiquette anyways?
"Even the Koreans have an etiquette procedure for online activity".

That was the point. The underlined section. Korea has extreme (even for me to admit and I'm Asian) for etiquette and behavior. Have you interact or otherwise observed Koreans? I could have said behavior but I mention etiquette(what gets translate into English from Korean sources supposedly).

You have a good day/night. I will be waiting for that delete account option from the website.

JohnReese
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:52 am

Ramtha wrote: Sorry for double mesage but please close this tread.
Tried deleting a thread before. "Malicious Website Apparently O.O" (which was also a curiosity as well as a joke). Once someone has replied; it won't let me. How do I close threads?

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: French

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:57 am

Is it too hard to just ignore rude parts of messages? To be 100% honest, you just make things way worse if yourself reply them in a... let's say "not completely" polite way — because most of the time people would never want to be the first one to say sorry, whether or not they were the first ones to have been rude. If Hoop's rudeness was, in any kind of way, harmful to you, you could have said — very politely — that you don't like those kind of messages/replies. You do realize that there are people who only talk like how Hoop talks, right ? Especially in gaming communities. That's perfectly normal. It would have been so much different if you took those messages differently — otherwise, you'd be even more hurted if you talk to people like that crazy girl who constantly stalks us with many smurf accounts in our Discord server. Now I'm not sure if this reply of mine sounds offensive to you, since you seem to take everyone's messages like a personal attack. I swear I'm not attacking you.

And, all of those who read this, this thread is a perfect example of what happens when people argue over something completely off-topic and want to have the last word. A good advice is to ignore irrelevant parts of the replies and focus on topic.
Mis band dondrna b at fa so gaga oe ts maay angle lery

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:21 am

Now, back to the topic.

I'm the AI coder of WoL. I'm almost certain that no one (here) knows better than me all the flaws and limitations faced by the AIs. In short there are just way too many things that are not achievable when coding the AI, resulting in the AI being completely dumb and sometimes not active at all. You should not base your statements on a skirmish match with only one human player (you) and a lot of computer players, when it comes to balance. Even the weakest civ in the hands of a newbie can beat the strongest civ in the hands of an AI.

Anyway, if you're feeling that the AI is way too weak, I assure you that I understand well. I might at some point manage to make them stronger (without breaking the fun), but it probably would take months and months.

JohnReese
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:06 pm

AlistairJah wrote: Is it too hard to just ignore rude parts of messages? To be 100% honest, you just make things way worse if yourself reply them in a... let's say "not completely" polite way — because most of the time people would never want to be the first one to say sorry, whether or not they were the first ones to have been rude. If Hoop's rudeness was, in any kind of way, harmful to you, you could have said — very politely — that you don't like those kind of messages/replies. You do realize that there are people who only talk like how Hoop talks, right ? Especially in gaming communities. That's perfectly normal. It would have been so much different if you took those messages differently — otherwise, you'd be even more hurted if you talk to people like that crazy girl who constantly stalks us with many smurf accounts in our Discord server.  Now I'm not sure if this reply of mine sounds offensive to you, since you seem to take everyone's messages like a personal attack. I swear I'm not attacking you.

And, all of those who read this, this thread is a perfect example of what happens when people argue over something completely off-topic and want to have the last word. A good advice is to ignore irrelevant parts of the replies and focus on topic.
I don't (take what you have written has an attack; but an explanation on how other people are). Here's the thing. And I wrote about it. I hold myself to the same standard, the same conduct I would start off with everyone else as well as expect what they would do with me. What he did; was start off slighting me. Read around. You're using an inherently corrupted way [of thinking] addressing this. At the same logic and point in time, why doesn't he just start off being civil, then? And that's the point of my replies. 
I'm sick of how people act and talk like Hoop's. Problem with people who don't have the same values as you, right? Well, I'm not really so much a "gamer" like you all are. I play games, sure. But I don't in the way you guys have formed into and with each other. I can't expect that or really expect you guys to be like that with me, just because we don't know if one is "the same". But these are forums. And that is what we should be basing our interactions on.

My condolences on that girl on your Discord server (gamer community, huh? I don't even use Discord kek).

You have a good day/night now.
Last edited by JohnReese on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnReese
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:13 pm

AlistairJah wrote: Now, back to the topic.

I'm the AI coder of WoL. I'm almost certain that no one (here) knows better than me all the flaws and limitations faced by the AIs. In short there are just way too many things that are not achievable when coding the AI, resulting in the AI being completely dumb and sometimes not active at all. You should not base your statements on a skirmish match with only one human player (you) and a lot of computer players, when it comes to balance. Even the weakest civ in the hands of a newbie can beat the strongest civ in the hands of an AI.

Anyway, if you're feeling that the AI is way too weak, I assure you that I understand well. I might at some point manage to make them stronger (without breaking the fun), but it probably would take months and months.
First, I wouldn't be able to remember everything. Second, for the purpose of "Mapuche Op" along with the inability to remember how everything went, and what happens when I don't pay attention to the A.I. I most likely left out some points of the A.I. Such as that was Free-For-All. And most likely they couldn't keep up because they fought each other(spend resources on units and went back and forth attacking each other). While I just got resources, tabbed out to read about the techs (techs gets me curious), and only went after them when I felt like ending the game. The real problem that people perceive of the A.I.(or how I feel about it, you can just take it as an opinion) is that the A.I. doesn't prioritize/focus correctly. Imagine if it modeled or mimicked human actions. They send all the settlers early on collecting food, jumps to second age, create some units to raid the enemy's settlers, focus economically briefly (research some techs or stock up some resources), then proceeds from there. If the A.I. had the same amount of resource gathering rates and followed closely to human patterns. They wouldn't be A.I. 

But I would like to apologize to everyone on the forum. For one reason. I didn't think that one post would galvanize you all this much. If I could delete all my posts and my account; I would.
Last edited by JohnReese on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:29 pm

JohnReese wrote:I hold myself to the same standard, the same conduct I would start off with everyone else as well as expect what they would do with me.
That's really admirable of you, that's quite rare on many communities on internet.
JohnReese wrote:At the same logic and point in time, why doesn't he just start off being civil, then?
Then, again,
AlistairJah wrote:You do realize that there are people who only talk like how Hoop talks, right ? Especially in gaming communities. That's perfectly normal.
If you are "wise" enough (sorry I can't find the proper word to express my thoughts), you just remain as civil as you can and let the others live with their rudeness, without expecting them to "start off being civil" — because, as you already understand well, everyone grew up in different ways. Don't stoop down to their level. In other words, remain respectful even when others aren't.

Ahem, I've also been rude so many times, I'm really sorry for that.

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:13 pm

you are acting as if you had been civil from the beginning, which is false
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

JohnReese
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:06 pm

AlistairJah wrote:
JohnReese wrote:I hold myself to the same standard, the same conduct I would start off with everyone else as well as expect what they would do with me.
That's really admirable of you, that's quite rare on many communities on internet.
JohnReese wrote:At the same logic and point in time, why doesn't he just start off being civil, then?
Then, again,
AlistairJah wrote:You do realize that there are people who only talk like how Hoop talks, right ? Especially in gaming communities. That's perfectly normal.
If you are "wise" enough (sorry I can't find the proper word to express my thoughts), you just remain as civil as you can and let the others live with their rudeness, without expecting them to "start off being civil" — because, as you already understand well, everyone grew up in different ways. Don't stoop down to their level. In other words, remain respectful even when others aren't.

Ahem, I've also been rude so many times, I'm really sorry for that.
Have you? I haven't notice you being rude though? Guess Hoop got to me first and all I focused on was him. Yes, thank you. You reminded me. I do indeed forget how I am and how others are like, an inherent miscommunication of sorts - how they are and I am in relation. I just don't like being disrespectful (people say it's an Asian thing). Thank you for reminding me. 

Have a good day/night.