This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

JohnReese
Topic Author
Architect
Architect
Favorite Civilization: Chinese

Mapuche Op

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:33 am

Legit. It's too op. I'm playing 4 A.I.(1 player, 3 A.I.) on Hard difficulty. The boom is good, the offensive is good, the defense is good, the economy is good, the units are strong as hell. Somebody actually had the audacity to write about "game historical accuracy" to me on another of my post.... Well sure, it's no longer a matter of historical accuracy. It's just game play wise; the Mapuche is too powerful. They weren't this strong in history, were they?

P.S. All you PREDOMINATELY WHITE people on this forum. STOP FEELING LIKE EVERYTHING I WRITE IS AN ATTACK ON YOU. Your narcissism IS NOT APPRECIATED. Grow a pair and be mature. Sometimes, being Asian sucks just having to deal with people who act like kids.

P.P.S. This is not a post on asking for a balance rework or otherwise soliciting your opinions and support on my FEELINGS, MY BELIEFS. This is just a post to write about from my INITIAL feelings AFTER playing the Mapuche.
Last edited by JohnReese on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Re: Mapuche Op

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:36 am

You're playing against AI... so yeah. Balance-wise this information is bollocks.
Hell, you're not even playing against Expert.

JohnReese
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:39 am

Hoop Thrower wrote: You're playing against AI... so yeah. Balance-wise this information is bollocks.
Hell, you're not even playing against Expert.
So game play-wise, it's "bollocks" because what it's not for game play? The player against A.I. is not relevant because it's not against a human player or that the setting isn't expert? I don't play expert because I don't like building early game military to either raid/defend, which is necessary on Expert difficulty.

"Balance-wise this information is bollocks". Sure. Go ahead and be an idiot. 

Doesn't refute or otherwise prove the Mapuche isn't op.

Lightwell7
Pistolero
Pistolero
Favorite Civilization: Americans

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:38 am

There also isn't enough information given here for anyone to conclude that they are OP.
"You're assuming three people who barely have the resources to manage three boxes will get a telescope and watch from atop a building"

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Danish

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:19 am

I'm starting to think you don't like the mod.

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Unless this patch changed the behavior of the Mapuche AI by a lot, I haven't had many troubles against this AI. Just pay attention that they have very good anti-infantry infantry. In the previous patch at least, they performed moderately. I will give this AI a shot today I think.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612

JohnReese
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Septafolia wrote: I'm starting to think you don't like the mod.
LOL. I like it fine enough. I'm going through the civs now. I literally wrote this post just because after playing my FIRST A.I. match with the Mapuche. THEY WERE OP. My FEELING. My INITIAL EMOTION was they were too good. Like no other civ boomed as well and had good military units like them. This isn't a post to make them less OP(to my feelings) or to ask for a balance rework. This is just a rando post >_____>. 

What I don't like is Hoop_thrower's "attitude". He's so insulting when he replies. 

"I'm not sure what's your endgame insulting the team but... the Confucian Academy is just a building that produces artillery ingame. That's... the whole deal."

"Education. Intellectual pursuits. Reforms. Good governance. Upholding Tian and Di (Heaven and Earth). Written like a stereotypical uneducated person. I suggest you go read about Confucius and Mencius. 

Idea. Confucian Academy. -> Not being dumb.[Not producing artillery]" - What I wrote. Was that an insult to the TEAM? His narcissism is starting to get to me... and I ain't even Korean! kek. So what, he's the only educated person in the world? He could claimed to be so educated he knows about the Confucian Academies? Btw. If you look around and look for his post before what i wrote in reply. You would understand why I wrote this sentence.

"You're playing against AI... so yeah. Balance-wise this information is bollocks.

Hell, you're not even playing against Expert."

"you're using chinese internet so honestly this website is the least of your worries."

There's plenty of microaggressions here. And it's not warranted based on how I write and how someone reads it and perceives it. You people read and write monotony with each other. I read and write both stereo-typically "white" and Asian or whatever the individual may be. So this is on him. Not on myself or the WoL team.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:22 pm

I mean, am I wrong?

HrdsHrdrck
Intern
Intern
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:34 pm

microagressions
❄️

hoop is cinical, somethimes rude but overall jocular, the point is that you aren't understanding that all that things are design decisions that shouldn't be good hystorically, only being good for a play, (or in the case that the ai you aren't understanding that if you can't against the hard you should to down the difficulty again) and you are comming with a fucker actitude demanding changes as the most outrageous thing in the world.

keep calm, get over it.
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

Circle of Ossus
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Sorry, JohnReese, but you are extremely hypocrite. Your posts are also without any respect for the work done in this mod (or even done by the companies behind aoe3), and are full of "microaggressions". It surprises me even you haven't been banned yet. I won't try to explain what you are all doing wrong, I'm happy I don't know you in person, but I can tell there must've been something that went very very wrong in your education.

To come back to the topic: hard AI proves little. You know that AI is the one with no advantages nor disadvantages (and thus not the moderate one)? Since AI's play worse than humans, that means that hard AI's cannot be correctly used for deciding on balance. Expert AI is a start, but ultimately only non-treaty mp games are useful to decide on balance problems, as only here all aspects (rush, defence, boom, fast fortress, or even cheesy strategies) are well enough performed to be useful for feedback.

I'm not saying your topic is a total mistake, you are clearly still discovering the game/mod, so you probably had little idea about this (only recently I've also learned this too). Purely for game design, the Confucian Academy gives artillery. If the knowledge were to be represented by another way, namely by techs, the game would just be boring, full of "click this tech and get strong". Just like Cossacks 3 does it; that game has so little interesting stuff, it's just some units with stats and some techs, there is absolutely no interesting gameplay/design. Aoe3 doesn't do this, that make interesting buildings who do twist historical reality to give something interesting. Like how the Confucian Academy transforms knowledge of physics, engineering and chemistry into cannons. If you are going to post many times complaints about how bad/weird stuff is from a historical point of view, then I highly recommend you playing Cossacks 3, as aoe3 is just a strategy game with a historical look.
AI game on patch 1.0.11b (and onwards): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1981
Swiss UA proposal (obsolete?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612