This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

DarksideModerator
Topic Author
Roto
Roto

What is the purpose of archaic ranged units? (Rangers, Hajduks, Militia, etc)

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:57 pm

In vanilla AOE 3, most European civs had access to the Crossbowman, who was basically a garbage skirmisher for the early game. I didn't necessarily agree with this design decision but they did serve a function until you could get actual Skirmishers.

With Wars of Liberty, I noticed that quite a few civs have access to these archaic ranged units like Hajduks or Rangers and I can't figure out why you would ever use them. They're subpar to musketeers in every way and they only have a bonus against light cavalry. 

I'm curious to hear what other players use these units for and what the devs intended with these units because I can't find any use for them in any of the civs that have them. (Balkan Hajduks, European Rangers, Anglo Militia, and to a lesser extent, the Mexican Insurgentes)

ShinkuroYukinari
Paisano
Paisano
Favorite Civilization: Habsburgs
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Steam: Shinkuro Yukinari

Re: What is the purpose of archaic ranged units? (Rangers, Hajduks, Militia, etc)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:24 am

Don't underestimate the anti-ranged cav aspect of these units. Dragoons in good hands are probably the strongest units in the game, with their high mobility and often BS stats COUGHspasitelCOUGH.
I really like the Pavisieri in Age 2 when playing Habsburgs. Even if they cost all 3 resources, they are fairly cheap for their stats and hit hard in general

Mulloy
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Re: What is the purpose of archaic ranged units? (Rangers, Hajduks, Militia, etc)

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 am

Honestly, I don't use those units much at all. I don't know how to and I'm too lazy to experiment haha. But I do love that they're there and I hope I'll discover the proper use some day. Or someone here might enlighten us both.

Circle of Ossus
Cassador Montado
Cassador Montado
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Although statement has to be checked, but I think they serve kind of early skirmisher role. They are also in absolute numbers cheaper than line infantry. Compared to line infantry, rangers have ranged armor, which should give them the advantage in a 1v1 vs line infantry. Do they win that? And have they more range than the line infantry? If on both the answer is yes, then this might be true.
<a href="viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612" class="postlink" >Swiss UA Proposal</a>