This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

WvHawkvW
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Mercs Purpose and Use

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:05 pm

Even in Vanilla, I never really understood the purpose of mercenaries. You can't field but a small amount of them, they're usually irreplaceable, and they're incredibly expensive when you do use them. Wielding an army of mercenaries means you're essentially cutting your army in half (or smaller!) for a less-than-double increase in power, so what's the point? What's the advantage to using mercs? Should I always use mercs, or is there a situation where they're just bad, or should I never use mercs? 

I'm interested in it all.

Maxyking25
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Swiss
ESO: Maxy147
Steam: Evil Morty

Re: Mercs Purpose and Use

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Mercs are pretty strong if you can rush them.
In vanilla i had a dutch teammate, who rushed mercs.. enemys had no chance to upgrade the normal units ^^

Circle of Ossus
Dragoon
Dragoon
Favorite Civilization: Colombians

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 am

I believe mercs are getting more useful with the merc rebalance (look at many of the new mercs, they are usually good for what they cost). They do still lack some sort of upgrades, as in the imperial age they are usually not worth it anymore.

What is more cryptic, is the use of outlaws. Fragile, usually still rather costly and way too high in pop cost + they get too weak after age 2. I've not managed to convince the devs to add more upgrades to them and lower the pop cost + making the outlaw improvement card at least useful for certain tactics. Who ever uses the comanchero? Or the pirate? It's not that I want them to be at 1 pop or so (1 pop with the outlaw card perhaps) but now they are way too costly early due to having to build a massive amount of houses to train some, and later they have absolutely not use.
<a href="viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612" class="postlink" >Swiss UA Proposal</a>

ShinkuroYukinari
Paisano
Paisano
Favorite Civilization: Habsburgs
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Steam: Shinkuro Yukinari

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Mercs are great when you play Habsburgs, because their entire army is made out of them :D

Lightwell7
Voluntário da Pátria
Voluntário da Pátria
Favorite Civilization: Americans

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:42 pm

Outlaws: Expensive and over-pop Mercenaries that get trounced by regulars.
"You're assuming three people who barely have the resources to manage three boxes will get a telescope and watch from atop a building"

Lightwell7
Voluntário da Pátria
Voluntário da Pátria
Favorite Civilization: Americans

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Maybe if they were Merc counters?
"You're assuming three people who barely have the resources to manage three boxes will get a telescope and watch from atop a building"

ShinkuroYukinari
Paisano
Paisano
Favorite Civilization: Habsburgs
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Steam: Shinkuro Yukinari

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Lightwell7 wrote: Outlaws: Expensive and over-pop Mercenaries that get trounced by regulars.
Depends. Outlaws are fairly cheap and can make a surprisingly strong force for some nations that have gold or population to spare. I love using
 the 10 pistolero shipment when playing Sioux infantry rush

Stealth
Master Engineer
Master Engineer
Favorite Civilization: Italians
ESO: RickRuler
Steam: Davinci

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:09 am

Barbary Cosairs and Ronins make grated cheese out of Calvary units