This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Slipslopslap
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Team combo

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:52 am

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this mod (although I have been looking at it for a while), and I was wondering what factions you would recommend in a 2vs2. I tend to steer away from rushing and like to build up a decent army before attacking for the first time. This is the same for most of my friends (so rushing can be quite effective, but no-one can do it right). Any recommendations for factions to play and why?

Thanks

Circle of Ossus
Dragoon
Dragoon
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Re: Team combo

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:45 pm

I am quite a fan of Colombia. They can perform early attacks quite effectively (me too I am not a good rusher). They can also perform very well late game as you need less pop on vils.
The Dutch can also be played rather aggressively early on, don't forget you gain resources from making units. Problem of the Dutch is that they have no units that really shine IMO.
<a href="viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612" class="postlink" >Swiss UA Proposal</a>

Militem Fides
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Italians

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:11 pm

Try to use Russians (grenadier, strelet and line infantry combined), be sure to bring food crates and the card fencing school;
An interesting civ for the partner is the Paraguayan, which because it makes army (weak is true) for free it can give you support with the free units of them and even with resources.
But do not be fooled, the Primero de Linea, may be weak, but thanks to its bonuses can do much damage in enemy infantry.
"In nomine Domini"
"Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam"
"Um Deus, um rei, uma fé, uma lei"

Mojaak
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:09 pm

So if you are asking for some late game civs... The Maltese will be the best what I saw. You can try to protect them at the beginning, but at that point when you can build 10!! Longswordsmen with his Scout, you are lost.

I did not figure out how to defend this, because they only cost 2 pop and I have to get my full army there to defend this. Also you can buy your scout always back and build more Longswordsman.
They are in some way op, so I would definitly go with them.
And if you can play the egypt this ist a good rush civ what protects the maltese at the beginning a litlle bit.
I am also a great fan of colombian. (First Age you need to use the market to build enough units in a rush game, but you can build 150 pop military)

Slipslopslap
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Thanks guys. Will certainly give the maltese a shot. You mentioned a partner civ, well my friend will probably play Hasburgs. So what civ should I support them as?

Speedyblupi
Roto
Roto
Favorite Civilization: Ethiopians

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Think about the Habsburgs' weaknesses, and try to pick a civ that compensates for them. Also think about the weaknesses of other civs, and how the Habsburgs could mitigate the weaknesses of their teammate.

I'm not really an expert at them, but in my experience, the Habsburgs' main weaknesses are the high cost of their units, which means that they can be relatively easily overwhelmed by large numbers of fast melee units in the early game before they get large numbers of units themselves. They are able to harrass, but it's risky, and they can't easily win with a rush.

A great strength of the Habsburgs is their lategame defences - they can build large numbers of very powerful forts, so would be useful to couple with a civ that is weak in defence.

Taking strengths and weaknesses into account, it may be a good idea to try them with civs like the Tupi, Zulus, or Paraguay, which all have fast and cheap infantry which can act as a meatshield, and can rush effectively.

If you're expecting your opponent not to have an army in the early game Habsburg weaknesses might not be so important. It would make rushing more viable, so those civs I mentioned might still be good, but you could also go for another civ with a strong lategame, like the USA or Germany.