This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

SantiagoOcampo
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Habsburgs

Strategy ideas: Habsburgs

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:59 am

Hey!

Some notes first. I started playing the mod recently and I'm loving everything about the Habsburgs: strong, cost effective and highly upgradable units, infinite (and quite cool) forts, the hability of choosing the bonus that fits you and the match as it unwraps, and access to spies (both the unit and the tech). My favourite playstyle is an economy centered one, making a devastating mid to late game push. A boom, as I've noticed it's called. This means that for most of the game i'll worry about making a super eficient use of villagers and resources, colecting some treasures, researching economic techs and being highly defensive by building walls, outposts, and trusting on military shipments and natives to defend the colony. 

Now, the strategy I want to share here for discussion is the following. It's nothing new, really, it's just an attempt to make the best use of the habsburgs bonuses for a boom. Also, I've tested this only against Hard AI so... yeah: I'm by no means a pro player, but I think I know a thing or two.
  1. Start normally and make sure you research all resource related market techs. Keep a steady supply of food and wood (for improvements and buildings, such as houses, since Habs military is population heavy). Stack up food and tross before aging up (for this strategy, french bonus may be chosen). Keep in mind tross will cost more after aging up so you should have 15+ and some more in queue. That way you don't spend more food and get the most out of the bonus. First shipment: 3 tross. Second: Furrier (increases food gathering), Third: Exotic hardwoods (increases wood gathering).
  2. Research again all resource related market techs as soon as you can. Keep training and sending tross. Your next shipment should be a military one. Pavisiers or pandurs for defending just in case you're being rushed. You should have the economy ball rolling pretty good now. Start considering building walls and/or outposts.
  3. Age up with dutch and build as many banks as you can. This should allow you to liberate half of the tross asigned to coin and put them to pray in order to get the faith and economy related techs. Research the final market tech for wood gathering and the one that gives you shipments with the gold you are now making, which hopefully is a lot. Use the shipments for military and/or economy. Send the one that gives your church unique Habsburg improvements, as it will come into play later.
  4. For industrial age I tend to go with the malteese bonus for extra defenses but it's not vital you do the same. Upgrade your military units rather than training them (you're still depending on those shipments, for which buiding trading posts can really help) and keep training tross. The focus is to keep strengthening your economy and keeping yourself alive. Send factories and put them to resources only.
  5. Make a full sized army making sure you max out your population or go over it with a shipment (having 1 pop space and sending calvalry or cannons, for example). Also train all possible native allies if any. Now develop the church techs that give you grenadiers and doppelsoldners, which by now should be nearing the maximum benefit possible (30 minutes=15 + 7 doppelsoldners).
  6. Attack with everything, and don't stop attacking from now on. Note that your doppelsoldners have tons of siege damage so use them accordingly.
  7. Profit!
Do you guys think this could work against Expert AI? What would be the weakness of this strategy? Is there something about it that could be changed to improve it? Please comment!

Stealth
Fur Trader
Fur Trader
Favorite Civilization: Italians
ESO: RickRuler
Steam: Davinci

Re: Strategy ideas: Habsburgs

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:17 pm

expert ai will attack you sooner than hard ai. but just try it and see how it works. 

WvHawkvW
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Sadly, even though you get infinite fort wagons, you can only build 5 forts. I was so disappointed when I ran into this!

Steve9000v2
Lassador
Lassador

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:58 am

WvHawkvW wrote: Sadly, even though you get infinite fort wagons, you can only build 5 forts. I was so disappointed when I ran into this!
Yeah, I was so disappointed like you when I found out the number of forts was limited. Although that, the Habsburgs is OP in the early and mid-game.