Some notes first. I started playing the mod recently and I'm loving everything about the Habsburgs: strong, cost effective and highly upgradable units, infinite (and quite cool) forts, the hability of choosing the bonus that fits you and the match as it unwraps, and access to spies (both the unit and the tech). My favourite playstyle is an economy centered one, making a devastating mid to late game push. A boom, as I've noticed it's called. This means that for most of the game i'll worry about making a super eficient use of villagers and resources, colecting some treasures, researching economic techs and being highly defensive by building walls, outposts, and trusting on military shipments and natives to defend the colony.
Now, the strategy I want to share here for discussion is the following. It's nothing new, really, it's just an attempt to make the best use of the habsburgs bonuses for a boom. Also, I've tested this only against Hard AI so... yeah: I'm by no means a pro player, but I think I know a thing or two.
- Start normally and make sure you research all resource related market techs. Keep a steady supply of food and wood (for improvements and buildings, such as houses, since Habs military is population heavy). Stack up food and tross before aging up (for this strategy, french bonus may be chosen). Keep in mind tross will cost more after aging up so you should have 15+ and some more in queue. That way you don't spend more food and get the most out of the bonus. First shipment: 3 tross. Second: Furrier (increases food gathering), Third: Exotic hardwoods (increases wood gathering).
- Research again all resource related market techs as soon as you can. Keep training and sending tross. Your next shipment should be a military one. Pavisiers or pandurs for defending just in case you're being rushed. You should have the economy ball rolling pretty good now. Start considering building walls and/or outposts.
- Age up with dutch and build as many banks as you can. This should allow you to liberate half of the tross asigned to coin and put them to pray in order to get the faith and economy related techs. Research the final market tech for wood gathering and the one that gives you shipments with the gold you are now making, which hopefully is a lot. Use the shipments for military and/or economy. Send the one that gives your church unique Habsburg improvements, as it will come into play later.
- For industrial age I tend to go with the malteese bonus for extra defenses but it's not vital you do the same. Upgrade your military units rather than training them (you're still depending on those shipments, for which buiding trading posts can really help) and keep training tross. The focus is to keep strengthening your economy and keeping yourself alive. Send factories and put them to resources only.
- Make a full sized army making sure you max out your population or go over it with a shipment (having 1 pop space and sending calvalry or cannons, for example). Also train all possible native allies if any. Now develop the church techs that give you grenadiers and doppelsoldners, which by now should be nearing the maximum benefit possible (30 minutes=15 + 7 doppelsoldners).
- Attack with everything, and don't stop attacking from now on. Note that your doppelsoldners have tons of siege damage so use them accordingly.