This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Lurcolm Habsburg
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Habsburgs

Anti rushing strategies?

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:03 pm

So, I'm a boom-style player, hence my love for playing the Habsburgs to begin with, but I generally don't develop fast enough to face off against the tougher opponents. Now, this is obviously a smart choice on their part: Destroy the habs first so they can't mess you up later. Problem is, I'm the hab and I want that to not happen. Any advice?

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Danish

Re: Anti rushing strategies?

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Any civ that can get a second TC in Age 2, and this includes Habs through the Portuguese princess, has a pretty significant booming advantage, especially for what your playstyle seems to be. More TCs means both faster villager production and more defensive capabilities.

Beyond than that I can't give a whole lot of specific strategic advice other than "play well." This includes trying to spend a minimum amount on cost-effective units to hold the line, and stockpiling resources for aging quickly. And then it's just a matter of taking good trades in fights with what few units you have. Obviously if you lose your army you'll need to retrain it, but don't overcommit to military in Age 2 any more than you need to. This is assuming you're going for a Fast Capital.

Lurcolm Habsburg
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Hmmm. I always just went for the French in this regard. I'm gonna try this, sounds like a good plan. Thanks!

maxmatt
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest
Favorite Civilization: Chinese

Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:36 pm

You can use the "Turtling" strategy too, in which you build outpost (or equivalent's) close to places where your collectors work, sometimes with walls.

ShinkuroYukinari
Paisano
Paisano
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Steam: Shinkuro Yukinari

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:07 pm

Have you considered choosing the Spanish princess and spamming their amazing shipments?
5 Pavisieri + 5 Pandur + 3 Landsknecht can do wonders

Lurcolm Habsburg
Topic Author
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:46 am

Actually I've been messing around with the Portuguese princess, and I have to say that extra settler production does miracles for me :3, thanks Sepafolia!