This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Cohenski
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

My Change Suggestions

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:29 pm

I have been playing a bunch of WoL with Mitoe and here are my suggestions for fixes. Most of these seem to be obvious changes as they are either outright mistakes or obvious balance adjustments.

Bulgaria

Their cav card in age 4 gives infantry voivod instead of cavalry voivod (I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the cavalry one).

Only the imperial upgrades affect cav and infantry (the veteran and guard improvements are very expensive, so I am pretty sure they are meant to affect more than just your villagers).

Pop cap increases by 10 tech at hospital has no effect (dunno if that's just Bulgaria or not)

Inca

Inca bolas are total garbage. They lose outright to almost all heavy infantry (which they are supposed to counter) as well as all other units in the game. The area damage they have doesn't really do anything. I would suggest doing a little testing to adjust their stats such that they beat musketeers.

Mexico

Does not spawn with presedio a lot of the time. Make it a wagon??

Malta

Holy hand grenade does not seem to do anything

Serbia

Siemen are still way too powerful. They are much cheaper than skirms, stronger than age three skirms, and have better upgrades than skirms. Perhaps a 10% stat reduction and a 10% increase in price would help balance them.

Haiti

The queen mother's bonus is wayyyyyyyy too powerful. It currently multiplies the hitpoints of units. If it takes X queen mothers to double the hitpoints of a unit, then 2X queen mothers will quadruple hitpoints.

The colonial militia age up to age 2 is wayyyyy too strong also. It is basically an automatic win in most all situations. I would suggest giving 8-11 (somewhere in there) colonial militias or so instead of 15.

Here are more change suggestions. These both have to do with the civ being too difficult to use, rather than a balance change.

Egypt

Egypt's lacks the ability to set gather points for its caravans, meaning that every time you create a villager or unit, it stays idle. I would suggest making its caravan's tagged as buildings and giving them an ability to 'pack' the building again, and turn it into a unit that can move.

Egypt also lacks the ability to control group its caravan's meaning that you have to click on the map, and then on the caravan before using it, rather than a single key.

Zulu

Every time you make a unit with a youth, it is idle. You cannot set gather points, and all new villagers have to be individually tasked by the player.

Every unit must be queued individually. It would be nice if their were a system for youth's to automatically transform after creation you could purchase this "queueing" for the price of the unit you want at your town center or queen mothers.

Personally, I would be very excited to start playing Egypt and Zulu more if these changes are made.
Last edited by Cohenski on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Circle of Ossus
Acá-Caraya
Acá-Caraya
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Re: My Change Suggestions

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:51 pm

You have some very interesting proposals; also, welcome to the forum!
I want to add some things I think about when reading your post:
Bulgaria: Their cavalry being light, and their infantry being heavy makes them extremely bad against civs with early skirmishers. In the past the cavalry had been heavy.
Mexico: the wagon thing is very interesting. However one would lose more time, normally spend on building villagers, because the building has to be build. So maybe very slightly lower the villager train time to compensate?
<a href="viewtopic.php?f=8&t=768&p=6612#p6612" class="postlink" >Swiss UA Proposal</a>

Cohenski
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:00 pm

I think that the wagon build time can be made to be as little time as desired correct? Also it would allow for more favorable building placement (for example you could protect a gold mine).

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:57 pm

the real problem with the presidio being a wagon is that most people cheese it by using it to forward settle the enemy.

SPAAAAH!
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Instead of changing the number of Colonial units The first revolution gives, I think a bigger trade off will be better.
How I see the second revolution is an "All or nothing" choice, losing your economy for Military superiority (Like normal revolutions), But the first one it only cripples you for 30 seconds.
How can I change my name ._. ?

Rampo
Aspide
Aspide
Steam: BG_Rampo

Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:41 pm

i think making haiti civs become balancing is very useful. especially queen mother. i have played this civs and, yes, this civs is very brute, if you face Haiti civs as enemy civs, you may doomed with a power of combat improval with further TC
mexico start with a covered wagon??? this is a bad idea, as you noticed that AI try to control that wagon to build TC in age II
seimen is too powerful? hmm, i remember seimen, as well as hajuk and maceman, only upgraded to recruited status...
ESP: Sin amor, el mundo se hundirá en la guerra
POR: Sem amor, o mundo afundará na guerra
ENG: Without love, the world will sink in war

BG Rampo

Cohenski
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:41 pm

I am adding some more change suggestions to the original post.

Septafolia
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Peruvians

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:53 pm

We have been trying to add gather points to Egyptian caravans for a long time, but as far as I am aware no one has ever been successful. IIRC you should be able to control group them, though, and if you edit DefaultKeyMapY.xml I think (?) you can even assign find keys to them?

If you click on the circle Zulu youths leave once they start maturing I'm pretty sure you can set a gather point for it.