This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Steve9000v2
Topic Author
Paisano
Paisano

Balancing Revolution

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:12 pm

In my opinion, Wars of Liberty is making the revolution become a horrible choise. Despite of adding more revolution leaders, adding the colonial militia's ranged bonus, revolt is still a unwise choise with many players. In fact, I and my friends always aging up to the Imperial Age instead of revol because revolt will disable the factories's production and the imperial age grants you so many powerful techs, upgrades etc.
  So, I think the revolutionary units (especially Colonial Militia liked-unit) need to be stronger or they need to be tweaked. Here are some of my suggestions: 
1) Make them stronger but decrease their hitpoints
 For the Colonial Militia, it should have: 170 hitpoints , ( armor and speed still the same)
                                                               25 ranged damage, 16 range, x1.75 against heavy infantry, x1.5 against cavalry
                                                               25 siege damage.
                                                               15 hand damage, bonuses still the same
                                                       Cost: Still 100 food
 For the Red Guard, it should have:       100 hitpoints, ( armor and speed still the same )
                                                                30 siege damage
                                                                35 ranged attack, 22 range, bonuses like the Colonial Militia
                                                                18 hand attack, bonuses stay still
                                                                Cost: 95 food 
                                 They're still heavy infantry, so they're vulnerable against skirms and canons and despite of its low health, they cannot be too overpowered.
2)Tweak them
Or maybe you can make Colonial Militia and Red Guard auto spawn at the Town center ( 20 - 30s /1 unit) while you cannot train them ( Their stats stay still, but Colonial Militia's max range attack is 16 and has its hitpoints down to 170).
3) Or make the factories's production still working even you've revolted. 

václav.mašat
Villero
Villero

Re: Balancing Revolution

Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:33 pm

System of revolution is bad and always was.
I have few ideas how to fix it:
1. Revolutionary center - automatically trains militia or another revolutionary units. Also contain upgrades for them.
2. Revolutionary leader - extremely powerful unit or explorer itself. Tons of hitpoints, strong attack and ability to convert killed enemies into revolution troops.
3. Fanatism/devotion/determination - instead of new technologies, revolution is becoming more powerful through victories and overall success (naturally). Some shipments that increase power of revolutionary unit or leader would be cool, and naturally, you could send them infinite times (considering the increasing price of shipments and unability to train troops, i am not worried about ballance).

Pikilic
Villero
Villero
Favorite Civilization: Ethiopians
ESO: Pikilic

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Wow I disagree with you guys, Revolution is perfectly fine, it's not like it was designed to be chosen often or in team games. Revolution is already very powerful in some cases in 1v1 and it does not need to be changed :)
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

václav.mašat
Villero
Villero

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:25 am

Pikilic wrote: Wow I disagree with you guys, Revolution is perfectly fine, it's not like it was designed to be chosen often or in team games. Revolution is already very powerful in some cases in 1v1 and it does not need to be changed :)
Well, yeah, revolution may (clearly it is almost instant win or instant loss thanks to the fact that you cannot get any resources) be viable option, but still, i would always choose Imperial age over Revolution so i could fight my enemy efficiently without knowing that every soldier that dies will not be replaced.
Not mentioning i rarely play 1v1 vs AI.
Anyway, dont want to sound cocky, but i realy thing my ideas could improve revolutions both with ballance and realism.
Btw. will revolution survive the upcoming Great War age?

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:28 am

What do you mean?

václav.mašat
Villero
Villero

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:28 am

Hoop Thrower wrote: What do you mean?
What part are you reffering to? The Great war? Well, i thought Great War will bring even better units than Imperial Age, which would make revolutions even less viable option.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:52 pm

That doesn't mean Revolution won't be an option though.

Steve9000v2
Topic Author
Paisano
Paisano

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Hoop Thrower wrote: That doesn't mean Revolution won't be an option though.
Revolution is an option but i think revolution is still weak compare to the Imperial age and the upcoming Great War age.

matu
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest
Favorite Civilization: Canadians

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:28 pm

yes i hope too the greatwar come right here
Soy Un Gran Modder Ademas Mi MOD Es Un Progreso Gigante Es El Mejor Mod Que Hice Quisa? :D

matu
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest
Favorite Civilization: Canadians

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:28 pm

i mean in the next update
Soy Un Gran Modder Ademas Mi MOD Es Un Progreso Gigante Es El Mejor Mod Que Hice Quisa? :D