This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Pikilic
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest
Favorite Civilization: Ethiopians
ESO: Pikilic

Re: Germany game balance

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:40 pm

Uhlans are totally fine statswise. They are even pretty good against hussars
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

Militem Fides
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Italians

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Well, I think in the following way, the game must be true to reality. A musket shot should do more damage than an arrow. In the name of balance, for example, an African archer deals damage of 20 and still has a bonus against a damage of 18 of the Landwehr. Do you think that's fair?

One suggestion would be that the units of the less developed civilizations actually had more resistance and damage in the melee, but never in the attack with firearms.
Uhlan is practically a suicide, its greater attack does not compensate its few points of life for a cavalry. In case for him I defend that armor for melee would greatly help this unit.
"In nomine Domini"
"Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam"
"Um Deus, um rei, uma fé, uma lei"

Pikilic
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:18 pm

There are sooo many things in this game that don't fit reality that I don't think your suggestion is interesting.
Also, uhlans are not suicide units at all. You can't use them the same way as hussars because of their low hitpoints, they must not be used as tanks but as damage dealers. Actually, when playing as Germany you should have a good mass of uhlans since uhlans are better in mass, and they are really effective.

Militem Fides
Volunteer
Volunteer

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:24 pm

My dear, giving the Uhlans an armor against melee attack will not turn them into tanks, but it would only have changed a tactical detail for those facing the Germans.

Regarding my suggestion, it is already expressed in the MOD if it is to make the comparison between the European nation and the colony. Note the musketeer and conscript relationship: the musketeer is slightly stronger than the conscript after both are fully upgraded. The resistance and the melee damage of the conscript slightly larger to compensate.
This is what I suggest for Germany, to have a heavy infantry that is on the same level as its European counterparts.
In the current configuration of Germany, and this can be observed for Austria and Italy too, it is practically impossible to defend yourself from a rush.
"In nomine Domini"
"Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam"

Pikilic
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:58 am

Well, yes, Germany has trouble against rushes because they don't have crossbowmen and pikemen as they have on TAD. Uhlans are good but landwehrs are just bad: bad against cav compared to musketeers, and they don't counter anticav at all.
So landwehrs stats should be improved, I agree! but if you give uhlans a melee resist they would not have a ranged resist and die faster from ranged attacks. Actually, this would make them weaker against the units they are are supposed to counter (skirmisher-type units) and stronger against heavy infantry, it makes no sense

Militem Fides
Volunteer
Volunteer

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:32 pm

The idea of melee armor is because experienced players place heavy infantry in front of their skirmishers, so until they approach them they have suffered melee damage that is much more effective against them because of heavy infantry bonuses against cavalry than shot of the defensive players behind the line infantry, since the skirmishers have a negative bonus against heavy cavalry, 0.6 if I'm not mistaken
"In nomine Domini"
"Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam"

Pikilic
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:57 pm

I think my point still stands because you will try to avoid any contact with enemy troops if you have cavalry and he has heavy infantry. So cavaly is more likely to "receive" ranged attacks than to be caught in melee. By the way, good players usually don't have a heavy infantry + skirmisher combo, and skirmishers have  *0.75 against cavalry.

Militem Fides
Volunteer
Volunteer

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:07 pm

I have already played with some of them that made this type of combination, alias I also do an army of type 5 cannons, 10 melee cavalry, 10 dragoons, an amount of about 35 to 40 infantry line and a 25 skirmishers.
"In nomine Domini"
"Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam"

Militem Fides
Volunteer
Volunteer

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:12 pm

es, yes, your point is valid for sure Pikilic ... Well it would be interesting the melee armor as it would improve your defense a little against a rush for example. (Who does rush almost always uses piqueiros, or other units of the type, other than the Latin player who uses cannons in the age II)
"In nomine Domini"
"Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam"

Pikilic
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:15 pm

As I said this is not the proper way to help Germany, their uhlans are fine, but the landwehr is the unit which needs to be improved
Uhlans should not be used to attack heavy infantry such as pikemen
Militem Fides wrote: I have already played with some of them that made this type of combination, alias I also do an army of type 5 cannons, 10 melee cavalry, 10 dragoons, an amount of about 35 to 40 infantry line and a 25 skirmishers.
lol at this point Germans have skirmishers so problem solved

Uhlans + skirmishers is a good combo because with free uhlans you should have more cav than your opponent and uhlans are pretty good against other cavalry

By the way, do you play on ESO? if yes what is your rank?