This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

XavierXante
Topic Author
Carabinier
Carabinier
Favorite Civilization: Sioux

Ranged Unit Accuracy in aoe3

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:38 pm

In age of empires 2, archer has an accuracy of 80%, which means out of 10 shots, he hits 8 shots and misses 2 shots. Similarly hand cannoneer has an accuracy of 65%. Like that, every ranged unit has some accuracy, which is not 100%.

But in age of empires 3, except war hut's anti ship attack and fixed gun's cannon attack which have 99% (0.99) accuracy, all other ranged units are assumed to possess 100% accuracy, which reduces the diversity and variety in the game. 

Besides, historically muskets are supposed to be mostly inaccurate (for ranges above 50 yards) anyway. 

So, introducing accuracy concept to all ranged units will significantly alter the entire aspect of the game in a good way.

For example,

1) Musketeer type units- 75% accuracy  80% accuracy
2) Skirmisher type units - 90% accuracy
3) Archer type units - 93% accuracy
4) Grenadier type units - 65% accuracy
5) Artillery - 98% accuracy
6) Mortar - 90% accuracy
7) Melee units - 99% accuracy
Last edited by XavierXante on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Re: Ranged Unit Accuracy in aoe3

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:44 pm

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. This is certainly doable, but... 

Are you doing your own mod or something?

checanos
Wars of Middle Earth Team
Wars of Middle Earth Team

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:22 pm

I think that it is an interesting idea, but to compensate shouldn't the unit with a lower accuracy have a higher attack? If not, I would just train the units with higher accuracy becuase they are more reliable.  

XavierXante
Topic Author
Carabinier
Carabinier

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Hoop Thrower wrote: I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. This is certainly doable, but... 

Are you doing your own mod or something?
No. I'm actually suggesting an idea based on age of empires 2. I also tried modding on my own, but my skills are limited (I ain't murdilator) despite several ideas.

Pikilic
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest
Favorite Civilization: Ethiopians
ESO: Pikilic

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:23 pm

I think the accuracy is represented by the range, 12 range for a musket, more for skirmishers who are more skilled men with better rifles
And archers do miss sth like 20% of their shots in AoE3 even if it's not written anywhere
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

mandosrex
VIP
VIP
Steam: mandosrex

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:12 pm

I shouldn't be here, but, this is a subject important to me. So AoE2 ranged units actually have a chance to miss standing targets, alright, didn't know that for sure.
But AoE2 also has something else very, very important, and that is ranged projectiles being able to miss moving targets (projectile lagging?), something that is not possible in AoE3. I tried and nothing. Projectiles are just too fast anyway.
And personally, I absolutely love this AoE2 feature. It indirectly nerfs ranged units and it gives an amazing advantage to skilled players with good micro.

As for making ranged units randomly miss, I disagree with this. This doesn't add diversity and variety... It only makes ranged units less reliable and less competitive (you won't see this is a game like SC2 for example, the most competitive RTS out there).
The less randomization a game has, the more competitive it is. I would personally make all projectiles have 100% accuracy and use the AoE2 system of missing moving targets.

(If by some amazing reason I am wrong and you can make units miss moving targets in AoE3, then please, do tell)

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: French

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 am

Projectiles "follow" targets. I've already tried giving them a speed of 5. The target moved when the musketeer fired, but strangely, the target is still hit. As for the accuracy, it's completely random. You can miss stationary targets like you can hit moving targets.
Mis band dondrna b at fa so gaga oe ts maay angle lery

Pikilic
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest
Favorite Civilization: Ethiopians
ESO: Pikilic

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:17 am

All of this is true for sure! And with a smart trick, look at what can be done  ^^
However, it's good to know that there are exceptions to the rule: IIRC, ships can avoid mortar shells and units can avoid monitor shots as well...
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

mandosrex
VIP
VIP
Steam: mandosrex

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:18 am

Yes, projectiles follow targets in AoE3, so that's why you can't make it like in AoE2. You can make them hit the ground and not the unit, and maybe decrease their speed, but decreasing their speed is a bad idea and I think they would still follow the target.

carlosbarano
Acá-Caraya
Acá-Caraya

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:42 pm

Pikilic wrote: All of this is true for sure! And with a smart trick, look at what can be done  ^^
Now Sebastopol cannon has a friend :p
*Dos errores no hacen un acierto.
**Si tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? Si no tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? :)