This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Fountain! This forum is for suggestions about WoL.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

RedDeadSmeg
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Maltese Advanced Arsenal Suggestion

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:38 pm

First of all I'd like to congratulate the team on this amazing mod, it's what Age of Empires 3 should have been and more, keep up the good work.

I'd like to suggest a change to the Maltese Arsenal/Advanced Arsenal structure.

As the Maltese is the closest thing we have to bridge the gap between AoE 2 and 3, would it possible to replace the Arsenal with a Blacksmith?

At the moment I feel the Advanced Arsenal card is redundant for the civilisation as it has the same upgrades as the other Europeans, most notably gunpowder upgrades.
I feel that a blacksmith building would better suit the Maltese, as well as be a nice throwback to AoE 2.
Upgrades from the blacksmiths would focus on Archer/Melee/Cavalry attack and hitpoints, much like it's predecessor, and an advanced blacksmith card could add something like the 'Chemistry' upgrade to further improve ranged attack.

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but I've always felt the blacksmith was a missed opportunity ever since playing the first campaign of AoE 3. 

Antonio Parente
Roto
Roto

Re: Maltese Advanced Arsenal Suggestion

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Great suggestion RedDeadSmeg! This suggestion and also a significant improvement in the Maltese walls would make this civ almost perfect in my opinion.

XavierXante
Carabinier
Carabinier
Favorite Civilization: Sioux

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:03 pm

In aoe2, upgrades from blacksmith increases attack, armour and range of archer; and attack and armour of melee/cavalry. It's armour, not HP. But this certainly is an excellent idea, I must admit.

Like say, +0.5 resist ; +0.5 resist ; +1.0 resist. 
               +1 range; +1 range; +2 range
               +10%attack;+10%attack; +20% attack

But, the damage multipliers of units should be less, to balance this. Else they will be too OP.

For instance,  -0.25; -0.25; -0.5 damage bonus.

All these are just raw ideas.

RedDeadSmeg
Topic Author
Mooing Cow
Mooing Cow

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:20 pm

Just got your message XavierXante, can't seem to reply for some reason.

You're right the blacksmith had armour upgrades not HP, but I'm not sure how that would work in AoE 3, by all means say what upgrades you would implement.

Glad to see this is  an idea you guys would like.

UnstoppableStreletsy
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:10 pm

A blacksmith would not be hard to make. All you need to do is import a blacksmith model from AOM perhaps and design the tech tree off of AOM or AOE. However, the feature is not needed.