This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The War Academy! This forum is for game strategy and balance discussion. You can also use it to arrange multiplayer matches.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

PepePeyote
Topic Author
Architect
Architect

The USA in relation to the rest of Anglos

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:50 am

After playing many matches using and facing Anglos, I've noticed the US is far superior to Canada and Australia in pretty much every type of gameplay.

It is well known the USA is probably the best, if not one of the best civs for the late game, but it should be noted it is also quite powerful in rush or early games.
It is specially superior when compared to the rest of the Anglo civs. Not only can the US get the Hospital (which neither Canada or Australia can), it also gets tier II arsenal upgrades.

Even in the earliest stages of a match, the US is vastly superior to the other Anglos.
The US can ship 2 cards that make their militias quite powerful in a very short time, something the rest just can't.
The early US economy is far better than Australia, and much more straightforward than Canada's, meaning that in Age 2 they can make militias and anti cav much quicker than them, and thus, having a superior rush and early game.

Indeed, with such advantages for the US, there's little to no reason to play either Canada or 'Straya other than for entertainment purposes.
Something should be done to make Canada and Australia more viable options, I for one don't understand why you guys removed the Hospital for those two civs, while keeping it for the US essentially making it the best Anglo civ by all standards.
If there was any little balance, with that it is completely broken.

I suggest giving all the Anglo civs access to the tier II arsenal upgrades, not just the USA. It is absurd that the US not only has the best eco out of them, but also the strongest military and the best techs.

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Re: The USA in relation to the rest of Anglos

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 pm

It's almost like all civs were added for entertainment purposes!

daMarshal
Carabinier
Carabinier
Favorite Civilization: British
Steam: brfvod

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:32 pm

PepePeyote, I would recommend that you should look at the Anglo Suggestions/Ideas topic that I posted, some of the WoL team give a fairly decent explanation as to why the US can only get the hospital, and a few other details and reasons about other things related to this.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle

Lightwell7
Guerrillero
Guerrillero
Favorite Civilization: Americans

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:43 pm

(Sorry if this seems as a necro, but the post was related and the board is generally kind of slow.)

Why is endgame U.S cavalry so strong? The Habsburgs are an all-mercenary civ with Hungarian and Polish Cavalry who have similar population costs, but approximately 1/3 the HP of the U.S' endgame cavalry. I know this seems like it should be fitting, considering the way the U.S is generally overpowered, but as I remember, IRL the U.S wasn't really known for its cavalry charges, and by the time they'd worked up a respectable cavalry force, guns had advanced to such a point that cavalry had to be restricted to reconnaissance, supply raids, and pursuit of routed soldiers. As much as I love my country, I think it's appropriate for us to be playing on the same field as the other civs. 

What do ya'll think?

HrdsHrdrck
Lanceiro da Independência
Lanceiro da Independência
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 pm

I think people forget that American technologies have a price.
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:14 am

Also, because those units unlock at 5th age

Lightwell7
Guerrillero
Guerrillero
Favorite Civilization: Americans

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:49 am

The Polish Hussars also unlock at the fifth age, don't they? 

As for the cost, it's easily covered by the Montgomery tech. Turtle to 6000 wood and 6000 gold and all of your Confederate units are maxed.

Well, it ultimately doesn't matter. Game's fun either way.

EDIT: I'd like to revise my position. Polish Hussars are definitely operating on a good level of strength. I didn't see their Infantry bonus. Get them to infantry and it's a oneshot.

Magyar Huszars seem like a good early-mid game rush unit, and getting instant cavalry at endgame makes this a perfect defensive civ. Plays kind of like the Byzantines from AoE2. Loving it.