This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Ethylo
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Mexicans

Re: How to Install Wol on Mac and Linux

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Alright thanks a lot and what is the name of the option if it does have a specific name? :'D

And just to be a 100% sure, the Age of Empires 3 wrapper I need to install on Porting Kit is the one they propose in order to be able to play the windows steam version right?

Thanks once again :-)   
"In vino veritas"

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:39 pm

When you install the Porting Kit App, you should see a tab in the window for the most popular games called "Rankings". From there, search the table for Age of Empires 3 (it will show up). From then double click and choose to install it. Once all the prompts are finished, press play. This is where you log into steam and install aoe3. Play aoe3 tad once and exit out of it. Now, download the current wol installer. There should be a button called options where you can choose to "Install Patch / Mod". After choosing this option, choose the wol installer, and choose to install it anyway that fits you better. The Aoe3 wrapper used is based on their design so you don't need to do anything (just choose aoe3 in rankings, its that simple!!). Let me know if there are any bugs in either aoe3 or wol.

Ethylo
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:16 pm

Alright then, huge thanks ! Yeah indeed that's pretty simple ^_^ but I thought I had to do something before installing it... Yeah I did it like 7 or 8 times last time let's hope it works this time ahah.
"In vino veritas"

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:53 pm

If you succeed or fail, report it here. If you succeed, I will probably write up a quick article on it here and for mod-db for future reference by mac osx users. Even if it only helps a fraction of the users, its still better than 0 like it is now. In the meantime, I will look for a way of merging folders in osx that people can rely on.

Ethylo
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Pretty good news I think it works using the method you gave me nevertheless I used the installer directly on the website of WoL so the one up to the 1.0.9g version. I didn't update until the 1.0.9h for now but at least it works with the anterior version so that is already something great after so many tries ahah. 

So nothing more than installing the AoE 3 wrap on Porting Kit,  then the AoE 3 collection version on steam, launch TAD and return back to your desktop. I downloaded as I told you the installer on the Wol's website and I installed it using Porting Kit "Install a mod/patch" and it did the rest. I will try to play a game to see what happens and I'll let you know.

Thank you so much for your patience and your advices because I thought I would be impossible to play this brilliant mod on mac at least in the near future.
"In vino veritas"

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

With this information in mind, I can make a official guide around this application. Thanks for testing it for me. With a tool like this, Wol will practically be 100% or close to that in compatibility on Unix Like OS's since I think there's a linux version as well. The next step is finding a good folder merger for osx. If I can't find one, I would recommend the team starts updating the installer with each new patch they release to expand thier horizons into the osx and linux community of aoe fans.