This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Koreans

How to Install Wol on Mac and Linux

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 pm

As you may be aware, I have been working on this topic for some time. But now I found a consistent solution that does not take any work at all. Just download the Porting Kit to install all the components you need without hassle. Just follow the steps to install Aoe3 steam, and then finish by using the install patch/mod option to install wol. Thanks to Daniel Perriera, now you can use an installer that includes all patches pre-installed. Now, you won't have to worry about patches breaking your game like it may have in the past using the portingkit app.

Link: http://portingkit.com/en/
Last edited by UnstoppableStreletsy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlistairJah
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: French

Re: How to Install Wol on Mac and Linux

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 am

@DayoftheNinja. Suggestion: include this in the FAQ.
EDIT: or in the Installation/Update thread.
Mis band dondrna b at fa so gaga oe ts maay angle lery

Ethylo
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave
Favorite Civilization: Mexicans

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi Streletsy,

I've been following all your work in order to find a possibility for Mac users to play WOL so far and I would like to thank you for that.
I finally succeded to properly install AO3 on steam with PortingKit as well as the WOL installer (1.01 version). However, while wanting to launch Age3y.exe after having manually updated to the 1.06 version (I copied and pasted all documents in the bin folder after having extracted them from the .rar files), It wrote "Initialization failed.." and It didn't work. 

Is the copy/paste method of all documents of a patch in the bin folder the good one? Or do you know any other way to do it to make it work? I'm not an expert at all so I do not know any other method to do it...

Thanks in advance!
"In vino veritas"

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:35 am

Actually, I forgot to mention one thing. To boot up wol, you will need to launch agey.exe from using the feature "view local files" under the "Properties" tab in the Steam Library. Using the regular play button will produce errors. If you already did this, keep in mind that you should play tad one time before installing wol to allow full functionality. I found doing this increases your change of a successful install. From my experience, there is two ways of patching wol. One is to do what your doing now, and the other is to use the Unix updater provided by the wol team. If you are using Sierra, the copy paste method is the only one for right now, unless there is a app that can merge the folders for you online. I tried using the ditto command in the terminal, but found none of the patches installing the way they were supposed to. What your doing now might be the longer process available, but is the only one that won't produce errors. The reason why the Unix updater won't work in Sierra is because the .jar file can't recognize wol installations in the architecture of the osx operating system beyond mountain lion I believe and is unsupported.

Ethylo
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:53 am

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed I tried with the .jar and as you said it didn't work. 
I already did everything that you mentioned with TAD etc. It also worked when I launched the 1.01 wol version so I probably made a mistake while trying to upload manually with the 1.06 patch. Maybe you'll figure it out where I made I've been wrong so I'll try to explain you briefly: 

I downloaded every single patch from 1.06 to the last 1.09 version. As they are in .rar format I decompressed with The Unarchiver the first one and I manually pasted every single file in bin (and replaced the old ones by the new ones whenever they asked me to do so including the age3y.exe file). When I launch the age3y.exe with the 1.06 version no problem until it says  "Initialization failed" before the cinematic. So do I need to copy/paste every single file on the patch folders or some of them are unnecessary? 
I will reinstall Ao3 on steam tomorrow and do the whole process again and if you found out the problem so I will not repeat it again.
Thanks once again!
"In vino veritas"

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 am

Well, since you are doing so many copy and pastes, sometimes you make a mistake. Other than that, consider trying to install all of the patches and then test the boot up. One of these times, you will get it right. When you do, consider sharing it here so there is some proof of it working. In the meantime I will look for a app that merges folders in osx.

Consider trying this app https://www.kaleidoscopeapp.com/.

Ethylo
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Thank you a lot. I will try to merge them with the app you gave me at first otherwise I will install every patches manually and let you know what's going on. 
"In vino veritas"

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:47 am

Ya, when you get it working, it would be best to notify me as soon as possible so I can confirm the validity of this method. If you could get this working, it would make this method much easier than using a wine wrapper. Feel free to look up any additional software that could merge folders if the one I provided is not user friendly. After you get successful results, I can edit the guide above a little more and provide links to recommended folder merging software as the features of OSX itself only work half the time on average as I have read from several sources.

Ethylo
Whipped Slave
Whipped Slave

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Hola Streletsy,

Sorry for the late reply but it doesn't work so maybe I got it wrong at some point jaja.. Did you find out how to get it right?
"In vino veritas"

UnstoppableStreletsy
Topic Author
Volunteer
Volunteer

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:39 pm

I found something that will make the aoe3 wine process easier for you. Use the porting kit http://portingkit.com/en/. There is a option under leaderboard/rankings to install aoe3. It will work out all the winetricks and other needs for you. To install wol afterwards, just right click on the icon for your game and choose "install mod / patch" and choose the wol installer as the file to use. As a note, all patch installs will need to be manually done unless you wish to wait for a a patch to be added to the base installer. Manual patches will need to be done by copying all the files into each folder one at a time unless you can find a effective merging method in osx other than the unreliable ditto command.