This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

Fenriz
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Uzbeks
Steam: fenrizsomethinggame

Re: Polish Dialogue

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 pm

This is easy Guys: make the Design and justify the civ into WoL Timeline.
"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement." Image

daMarshal
Independentista
Independentista
Favorite Civilization: British
Steam: brfvod

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:21 pm

I second that.
Also HrdsHrdrck, Bulgaria is included into WoL because it was one of the planned civs for The Fight of Nations, which the WoL team took on when it wasn't doing well. 
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle

HrdsHrdrck
Naffatun
Naffatun
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 pm

daMarshal wrote: I second that.
Also HrdsHrdrck, Bulgaria is included into WoL because it was one of the planned civs for The Fight of Nations, which the WoL team took on when it wasn't doing well. 
malta? incas?
m sr y m frm stn scrts sn vcls sn nngn rzn prnt

václav.mašat
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 pm

Septafolia wrote: European maps will have natives, but as far as I know they are just going to be generic professions, like Miners and Lumberjacks, rather than actual nationalities.

And if we tried to include every single people group in the world, stateless or not, even just as native sites, there would be inconcievably too many. It's simply not possible, so difficult decisions have to be made about whom to include and not.

The Czech War Wagons, despite being anachronistic for this mod, are available from a Habsburgs HC mercs card.
Sure, hundreds of cultures or ethnic groups are pointless (tho it would be extremely cool to have game with hundreds of different homecities :D ). But how about some compromise using criteria like Nation history (some nations didnt come out of nowhere but they were part of the other state while keeping their unique language, culture, techs etc.), size of nation/state here and then (some tiny nations are already used as units - Kalmucks, Baskhirs, Cossacks, but some bigger ones like Poland are huge and real now... ), uniqueness (some nations may have their own unique soldiers, technologies, religion).

It may sound selfish, but i care almost only about Europe. It had relatively stable ethnic groups and its history is well known compared to f.e. Africa, America... and maybe Asia, but i am not very sure there. Dunno what plans for mod are, and if you want to reach the some official finish line when you say "we are done here". But if not, sooner or later you will run out of civs and then, If you chose like 5 biggest/most important/most independent civs, i would be more than happy. 

Now i feel like an idiot forcing people to do something for me in their free time... i hope you take it as a suggestion for feature you could also enjoy :-)

Hoop Thrower
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Mapuche
ESO: HoopThrower
Steam: hoop_thrower

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 pm

We'll run out of civs rather late than soon, and Czechs don't even make the top 50 most relevant civs in the period that we haven't covered yet. Yeah, that you only care about Europe doesn't really reflect our interests, or reality...

václav.mašat
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:59 pm

Hoop Thrower wrote: We'll run out of civs rather late than soon, and Czechs don't even make the top 50 most relevant civs in the period that we haven't covered yet. Yeah, that you only care about Europe doesn't really reflect our interests, or reality...
1) For me, every new civilisation is better than nothing, and if you really have list with top 50... well :D
2) Dont care about Czechs - they were always either tiny, or not independent - i agree there are better candidates
3) I dont really know much about history of cultures ouside of western society, especially the smaller ones.

Just in case i created an illusion i am demanding/suggesting something specific :D

HrdsHrdrck
Naffatun
Naffatun

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:06 am

Ok, I came up with an idea from Poland:

Polish
culture: balkans (now rebellious or east-europeans?)

Bonuses:
Dwor: instead of beehives you have dwor: a small plantation that grants population, supports 5 workers. (doing a little search on google I realize that removing the hives from the Poles is not only unnecessary also is ridiculous)
instead of casern you have dwors, they fulfill the same function + hold 10 population 
Uprising: You can transform all your villagers into Kosynier and return them to normal mode (like a inverse revolution)

Units:
(II) Kosynier: heavy infantry armed with schyte, only avaliable with uprising
(II) Maceman
(II) Powstaniec: musketer-type unit with small cost of gold.
(III) Zouave of death: skirmisher with low range but good damage, have resistence to melee.

(II) Swolezer: heavy cavalry armed with lance, good against infantry.
(III) Boyar.
(III) Winged hussar: same as habsburg (?)

It's ridiculously simple but it's just an idea.
Last edited by HrdsHrdrck on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

václav.mašat
Jesuit Priest
Jesuit Priest

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 am

No way Poland could be considered as Balkan state: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans
So, they should belong to Europeans.

kmogon
Villero
Villero
Favorite Civilization: Habsburgs

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 am

HrdsHrdrck wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:06 am

Polish
culture: balkans ...

HrdsHrdrck
Naffatun
Naffatun

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am

HrdsHrdrck wrote: Polish
culture: balkans (now rebellious or east-europeans?)
now rebellious or east-european
Remember that the Anglophones were called North Americans?