This is the official forum for the free, fan-made Age of Empires III modification, Wars of Liberty.

Welcome to the New Forum

We hope you enjoy the official new forum of the Wars of Liberty mod for Age of Empires III! Visit this thread to get acquainted with the new forum, and let us know if there's anything we can fix. Feel free to dismiss this message at any time by clicking the "X" in the top right corner.

Thanks!
The Wars of Liberty Team

Forum rules

• Welcome to The Town Hall! This forum is for news and discussion about anything related to WoL. You can ask any WoL-related questions here.
  • The official language in this forum is English.
  • Be nice to other members, don't spam comments or smilies, and don't do anything illegal.
  • Posts that don't fit this forum will be moved or deleted.

DayoftheNinja
Topic Author
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team
Favorite Civilization: Zulu
Steam: DayoftheNinja

Analyzing Over 500 Games of WoL

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Click Here to See the Analysis

What?
I analyzed over 500 multipayer WoL matches to rank the top players, civs, maps, and more!

How?
We've been gathering data on WoL's multiplayer matches for over two years now through our Multiplayer Form, as well as keeping a Gameplay Playlist updated with over 400 videos of WoL matches. Along with automatically-reported ESO games from the AoE3 Elo site, videos from Twitch and the occasional Forum post or Discord message, I put together a list of over 500 unique online WoL matches!

Why?
I have too much time on my hands and I thought it would be neat. Also this kind of analysis helps us balance our civs and maps and might just help us put together a tournament one of these days.

Where?
You can find all of the data visualized in a nice format on this Data Studio report, be sure to look through the different pages to see WoL's top players, most popular civs and maps, and more!

For those that hate beautifully presented data, you can see some of the highlights from the data in the spoiler below.
I swear it looks nicer on Data Studio
Total Games over Time

How Long Does a WoL Match Take?

Most Popular Cultures, total and adjusted for number of civilizations

Civilization Win Percentage

Most Popular Maps

Elo of All WoL Players over Time
Let us know your thoughts in the comments! What did you think of the data? What should we do with what we found? What other data should we look at in the future?

carlosbarano
Independentista
Independentista
Favorite Civilization: Maltese

Re: Analyzing Over 500 Games of WoL

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:35 pm

EDIT: Oh I see there is a questionaire. I didn't know that. This is cool information :)

So this combines ESO and GR data.

I have many saved games that have played these 3, 4 months, so I will fill that format many times.

Will this thread be updated constantly?

EDIT 2: Another useful info that can be gathered is the number of home city shipments used that brings units. For example, the number of units that came in shipmentes is determinant in some matches.

EDIT 3: Also I saw the graphics that show where are WoL players from. In GR I have seen from many countries, specially many Brazilians, at least I know about 6 while there is 1 on the graphic. Also 3 Americans, 3 Peruvians, 3 Turks, and have seen (not often) at least 4 different Indians. This space must be put in the format. Players' nationality. 
Last edited by carlosbarano on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
*Dos errores no hacen un acierto.
**Si tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? Si no tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? :)

Circle of Ossus
Independentista
Independentista
Favorite Civilization: Romanians

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:12 pm

The Egyptians having the highest win ratio (with the Portugals having the lowest) really surprised me. Also the Paraguayan lowish win ratio surprises me.

carlosbarano
Independentista
Independentista

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:18 pm

Circle of Ossus wrote: The Egyptians having the highest win ratio (with the Portugals having the lowest) really surprised me. Also the Paraguayan lowish win ratio surprises me.
Because Egyptians are very rarely used, and only used by very skilled players. Of course they can lose, if rush fails.  That's what I think.
Yeah Portugal surprised O.o not so much Paraguay.
I thought Perú and Japan won more games.

I think this stadistics do not take into Account the GR games, which are WAY MORE than ESO ones. A screenshot database of GR games should be available to confirm the reports of the games. I just filled a lot of GR based on my screenshots and memories. The bad thing would be many players reporting the same game, so pics should be cross analized.
**Si tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? Si no tiene arreglo, ¿de qué te quejas? :)

DayoftheNinja
Topic Author
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Yep, that was the one major issue with the data. I think I've gathered 95% of ESO games (or at least 100% of ESO games between players that I know about), but GR, which makes up the majority of WoL matches, is very underreported. That said, the win percentages should still be accurate, since ESO and GR don't represent significantly different playerbases.

Still, you can help us get more data by filling out the multiplayer form!

Mandalore_Vlad
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Germans
ESO: Mandalore_Vlad

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:10 pm

If we play voobly both those of ESOC and those of GR would be perfect, this has better connection than these 2 and has a system that keeps the data similar to ESOC
Mas vale un vivo que un muerto...Morir por los tuyos es un gran sacrificio pero vivir por ellos es un sacrificio aun mayor

DayoftheNinja
Topic Author
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Do you know Voobly well? The team has been considering promoting it but none of us really knows how it works.

CelticCrusader
Volunteer
Volunteer
Favorite Civilization: Canadians
ESO: CelticCrusader
Steam: CelticCrusader

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:23 pm

DayoftheNinja wrote: Do you know Voobly well? The team has been considering promoting it but none of us really knows how it works.
I have played on Voobly and it is pretty good. Much more advanced than gameranger. It has built in elo ratings, clans, and you can record/stream matches too. Although I have never saw any modded aoe3 on there so i am not sure it supports aoe3 mods currently. I think aoe2 mods are playable there but im not sure.  If you want more info about Voobly NiceKing on eso community is a voobly moderator, he could probably help. If you were able to get the mod working on Voobly it would great and a step forward for WoL. 

Oh and great work with the stats, im riding high up there ! Best get the mod downloaded again so I can attempt to topple the mighty Cossack lol 
Join the Wars of Liberty steam group here >> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AOE3WOL

If you also play AOE3 Join my group here >>.http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AOE3NOOBS

DayoftheNinja
Topic Author
Wars of Liberty Team
Wars of Liberty Team

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Awesome, thanks! And yeah man, you're a hair away from 2nd overall (or possibly already there, the data is two months old)!

carlosbarano
Independentista
Independentista

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:07 pm

How often will the data be updated?